What is more Trek to you?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by los2188, Dec 8, 2012.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

In TNG, humans were perfect individuals who worked and lived together in a highly advanced society where there was no interpersonal conflict between them. Technology was unchained. So said Gene Roddenberry. :wtf:

Though I do believe that we will have matured more as a species by the 24th century, I don't think we will ever be a species free of interpersonal conflict. I think that more people will have rights, ex. homosexuals and transgender people will have greater rights than they do now in many parts of the world.

I am adaptable to the changes in films and TV shows. I am enjoying the serialized approach to TV. My favorite shows are Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and the Walking Dead.

How will I judge the Star Trek film? Against The Batman Franchise, especially the last film. This film had for me the right level of action-adventure versus character moments. (The Dark Knight Rises is my favorite of the three films. It is a well-woven tale.)

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's TNG. The new movies are based on TOS, which was much less utopian--and, arguably, a bit more fun.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I love how the entire planet, and the whole human race, are being classed as completely dystopian because we see one foggy city, on a dull day. Really?

The first movie had the same city shown several times on beautiful sunny days and I remember people going about their lives quite happily.

4. throwback

I was comparing TNG to TOS. The return to TOS-style humans came with Deep Space Nine, which opened the door to more believable humans. I consider the depiction of humans on TNG as a failed experiment. Another thing that I will not miss is the boring music tracks which dominated Star Trek for such a long time. Give me a rousing score, and I am a happy guy.

I hope that the upcoming trailers are not a rendition of the top moments of the film. I hate it when trailers give away too much. Why don't you leave something for me, trailer man, to see in the film?

5. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An idea or "what-if." Sci-fi, in other words. An issue to ponder, more than just how kewl the bad guy talked or exploded. Preferably some humanity, an ethical choice made well, leaning toward mercy or wonder. "No kill I." "That's why we're aboard her." Save the Ocampa though it strands yor crew. You asked; there's my two cents.

6. Greg Cox

A foggy day in San Francisco? Say it isn't so!

7. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

:shrug: All the more reason not to expect anything substantially different from XII.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Though I'm repeating myself, XI was no more dumb or mindless that the previous ten.

9. throwback

Since I first heard this in the episode "The Way to Eden", I have wondered what this would mean for Earth. In that episode, Sevrin mentioned "...shields of artificial atmosphere..." that were by the Federation "...layered about every planet." These environments were considered by McCoy as "...septic, sterilized...", and were the incubators for new diseases. In later Star Trek, we learned that Earth had a weather control net that had the power to stop tornadoes.

I wonder when looking at this image of a foggy city, how much control do humans have over Earth's weather in the mid-23rd century? Do humans control how much fog is in the city, and do humans control the cloud coverage? And to what extent do these artificial atmospheric shields influence climate and weather? If you lived in a climate-controlled world, would you consider this a paradise, an utopia?

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

When George and Winona Kirk and Captain Robau stole that - what? - opening ten minutes of the last film - a truly involving, emotional and tragic sequence of scenes, it proved to me that the writers and director of ST (2009) were capable of making me care about three characters who had never been on "Star Trek" before.

The next movie may well be filled with more scenes like that. I care about the new versions of Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Uhura, and what will happen to them next. I enjoyed the contributions of Scotty, Sulu, Pike, Chekov and Keenser, too.

I searched out episodes of "Sherlock", to find out more about Benedict Cumberbatch, and was thrilled by his acting style.

This teaser trailer is an amazing tease. It's barely a minute of footage, to go with the three frames shown on "Conan" and one frame on a screen behind a different interview with JJ. Cruel, cruel, cruel, but wonderful fun!

If this film fails to make me care even more about the characters, I shall be extremely surprised and disappointed. I can't see that happening. (I do think if I'd hated the last film, though, I may have stopped looking at threads about JJ's movies on online BBSs. I do wonder why the haters and the doubters keep lobbing back into these threads. Are there not BBS threads where movies and TV shows they like/love are being discussed?)

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

My rose-tinted glasses of the previous ten prevent me from agreeing with you.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm sure they let the fog roll into SF, as its part of the ambiance.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't know about London since I've never been there, but, a Foggy day in San Francisco is part of San Francisco's charm, so, no controlling the weather and removing the Foggy days would not be an upgrade to San Francisco, IMHO.

ETA: Ninja'ed by Santa Kang, so, yea, what he said

14. Greg Cox

I don't think it's ever been established canonically, but I imagine most Earthlings would want to some variation in weather and changes of season. As people have said, London or Frisco without fog would be like Seattle without the drizzle or Atlanta without the humidity. And what about white Christmases?

My guess would be that any weather-control systems are mostly in place to prevent extreme weather of the dangerous variety: floods, hurricanes, droughts, blizzards, tornadoes, etc. I doubt that anybody bothers to customize the clouds, except as, perhaps, some sort of ambitious outdoor art installation.

And that sort of heavy-duty weather-control is probably only in place on the more advanced, urbanized worlds with well-developed infrastructures. I doubt if remote Federation colonies or science outposts have the resources for that sort of thing.

15. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Besides, weather serves a purpose. It can't be 70 degrees and sunny all the time. Unless every inch of the planet is part of a complex irrigation system, at some point you're going to need some rain. Otherwise the planet would become very dry and dusty and nothing would ever grow.

17. Greg Cox

Thanks for posting that. I was too lazy to look it up!

It's interesting to note that the very first words in the trailer are "Beyond the darkness . . ." and it ends up with something like "At the end of the universe, lies the beginning of vengeance!"

Sounds like they could use the same narration for the new movie! :)

18. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My biggest issue with Star Trek XI was Kirk's lack of cunning. In TOS he made a rifle out of stuff he found lying around. He tricked people into not blowing him up by convincing them it'd blow them up too. He talked super-robots into destroying themselves. He was cunning, he talked his way out of tough situations. In the movie, he kind of just transported in and started shooting.

Also I'm against reboots in general. I'd rather see a series move forward than retread the old material in a new way. Every time a comic book series reboots they have to spend half the first movie on the already known origin story, I'd rather see stories that haven't been told yet.

And it ticks me off that the reboot is making viacom hardened against new series ideas in the prime timeline.

But I do like the idea of Star Trek being darker, so long as it sticks to its principles.

19. WedTrek

WedTrek Cadet Newbie

Although it gets panned (unfairly), for me the most 'Trek' like movie was Star Trek V The Final Frontier.

Of all the movies, it had the best interaction between the 'big three' and is still a delight to watch.

Oh, and it also had perhaps the best music soundtrack of the movies.

20. Sir Rhosis

Sir Rhosis Commodore Commodore

While we're talking about trailers, I would find it interesting to see what type of trailer some of the older films like TMP, TWOK and TSFS would have if they were cut in the style for today's audience. Anybody know if anyone has ever tried to do something like this?

Sir Rhosis