Speculation: Would Brooks do DS9 again

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

say a miniseries, pilot, or even a movie

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bet he would. I know he had a great relationship with Cirroc Lofton and he'd probably enjoy working with him again.
    Regardless, we'll never see Sisko or DS9 on screen again.

3. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I went to a Q & A session at a convention he did in 2009 and he said he would. The way he said it was pretty funny, actually, and the highlight of an otherwise disappointing session.

Fan: "If there was a Deep Space Nine movie, would you be interested in reprising your role of Benjamin Sisko?"

Brooks: "I'd be interested...but they better hurry up. How long has it been since the show went off the air?"

Fan: "Ten years."

Brooks: "They better hurry up!"

It was a cute little exchange. :)

4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I've seen the YouTube vid for that before. I came in here to post 'they'd better hurry up'.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"It's the year 2010. But where is the DS9 movie? I was promised a DS9 movie! I don't see ANY DS9 movies! Why? Why? WHY?" ;)

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Going to be coming out right after that third Stargate movie.

7. Quinton O'Connor

At least in DS9's case, we know for a fact nothing is in the works. That third Stargate movie drives me insane because it was in the works. Ditto for the Atlantis movie.

8. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Alas I think it's pretty safe to say that Brooks' final performance as Benjamin Sisko was his voice work for the video game "Star Trek: Legacy."

Which is too bad, because the game was total crap.

9. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I'd rather have the show back without him.

10. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Amen Bones, Amen!

11. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I liked the character of Sisko but the writers kind of painted him in a corner. Actually DS9 and Voyager both ended on a more or less final note. At least Janeway had a cameo in the last Next Gen movie as a Admiral. Sisko is off with the Profits. If anything Sisko should have shown up on Enterprise since time means nothing to the Profits.

12. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

But the wormhole aliens (as I like to call them) live in a different spacetime. So Sisko could show up the day after he left with 100 years of knowledge from the aliens.

13. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

My impression of Avery is that he enjoys his craft and likes to do theater, and for whatever reason just doesn't work that much

He has been around since the 80's and I only remember him in four roles, Hawk on Spencer for Hire, Sisko on DS9, American History X, and another movie called 15 Minutes with Robert DiNero and Kelsey Grammar. In the last almost 10 years, he hasn't been in anything. Nothing. He's done some documentaries and whatnot, but he has never been in another TV series or film. Not even a guest shot on something like Law and Order.

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=122715

I don't think it is because Hollywood doesn't want him, quite the opposite. Something that some people may not know is that Avery Brooks is a University professor at Rutgers since 1976 per his bio on IMDB. He also has a Masters in Fine Arts from said institution. I am sure that the producers had to beg the man to do DS9. If Brooks wouldn't have done it, the second choice was Carl Weathers. Action Jackson. Yeah, that dude.

To me, Avery Brooks is a college professor who was in Hollywood for some years, made his money and now he is back being a professor, doing theater and Star Trek conventions. The man is doing what he wants to do, and probably not the type that is into luxuries that can be afforded to the A listers who make $10 million dollars a movie. However, he does look like a rock star in public.

14. Quinton O'Connor

Yeah, he's the bomb-diggity. I think what he does and how he runs his life are pretty inspiring to a guy like me.

15. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

:lol:

For those who've not experienced Brooks hamming it up..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm6pvHPSGo

16. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

^
    No one posting on a DS9 forum can claim to have not experienced Brooks hamming it up.

17. CobraCommander

CobraCommander Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

At least "The Sisko" became one with the prophets (in other words immortal). Show me one canon Captain with a better fate. At least Kirk could have gone back to the Nexus. But no, he had to die and have Picard put some rocks over his remains on some God forsaketh rock. Cobra

18. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek XIV will be about some Cardassian madman. Chris Pine enlists the help of the Sisko, who will heroically emerge from the wormhole and punch the Cardie in the face just before tripping over a rock and falling to his death.

19. OldManDax

OldManDax Captain Captain

I wouldn't.

While i'm sure there would be some interesting stuff on the series and/or film with or without him, and I am a fan of all the major cast, i'd see it as yet another slight for the first (and as yet only) non-white series lead.

Moreover, i'm one of the (seemingly few) fans here who think that the inner life of say, Damar, or Garak, or Zek is NOT as interesting and compelling as the 7 year journey of a man who starts out as a broken, somewhat embittered officer who doesn't even want to be on DS9, to one who feels that DS9 is "the place where I belong" ("A Call to Arms"). And I also prefer secondary characters, however interesting, to remain well, secondary characters.

20. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoy how certain secondary characters come to the fore in DS9, notably Garak, Nog and at last Damar, but otherwise I echo your sentiments for the most part.

While (to its credit) DS9 remained a true ensemble show throughout, Sisko, Kira and Odo are at the core of the saga, with Quark as a sort of stable pivot point at the middle of it all, like the station itself. These to me are the show's most important, most fully-realized characters, and they are the ones that interest me the most. (In fairness to my Cardassian-loving brethren, I do think Garak and Dukat are next on this list ;))