Visiting San Francisco

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mitty, Apr 16, 2013.

1. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's definitely a thing. You can see why they built the Sanctuary Districts there. I think so many homeless people emigrate to SF purely because it has better weather and lots of public parks for them to sleep in. :(

2. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

*gets star sticker on forehead*

3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

How's the trip going, Mitty? :)

4. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic, thanks ;). Today I did the bridge (sunny weather but bloody windy and cold haha!). Pottered around town a bit. Had dinner at Blondies Pizza in Berkeley as suggested above, fabulous! I'll post some pix when I get home. The public transport is great, the buses (muni) are fantastic. Only problem is fares across a day can add up a bit, compared to home, but not complaining. The clipper card works well. Haven't made to many hard and fast plans but I'm buying three pairs of Converse because it appears they are half as much as in Australia!

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Excellent! Glad you took my suggestion on Blondie's. That's a serious slice, eh?!

:lol:

Yeah, it has been windy this week. That changes the feel of things a lot.

Enjoy, and keep us posted.

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, so I was in Berkeley today (visiting the Bancroft) and walked by a Blondie's Pizza and thought "hey that's got the same name as the place mentioned in that thread"...not realizing, of course, that it was the same place. :lol: I was hungry too, I should have stopped in.

7. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

My favorite part of the City is Embarcadero, and that's probably because it's the only place I know that's the easiest to drive to or access via public transit. :lol: If you're venturing outside of SF, try to spend a day in the Monterey Peninsula. The 17-Mile Drive in Pebble Beach and Pacific Grove is breathtakingly awesome.

8. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Quick update... Did my nerd visit to Apple Headquarters, bought nerd souvenirs at the Company store. Again wil post some pix when I return. Visited Embarcadero and the Castro today, more shopping. My partner was at a conference for the past 3 days but is free now so we intend to do Golden Gate Park, the Sausalito Ferry trip and a few other things mentioned above. Of note was seeing the site of "Castro Camera" that Harvey Milk once inhabited. Weather has been cold but sunny :)

9. DS9Continuing

There's a cute little public square area right at the corner of Castro and Market that is in honour of Milk too, a triangle area made of pink gravel with a plaque in it. It's nothing major, but it's nice that the city recognizes it.

10. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Excellent thread! I'm planning a similar trip in the near future so I'm taking down all of these tips with good care.
    Do you have some recommendations about accommodation? Cheap but not sleazy.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

If you've got time before you go, I highly suggest checking out the Exploratorium. Easily one of my favorite places/activities in the city.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got back from lunch with two dear friends at a restaurant in San Francisco, along the Embarcadero. If anyone wants to try this place, I would highly recommend it.

http://www.waterbarsf.com/

Their menu isn't as varied as some of the other places I've tried, but they have some pretty good selections. Today I tried the Grilled Monterey Squid and had a delicious strawberry-and-pudding dessert. The service is very friendly and efficient, and the items are reasonably priced. It's got a perfect view of the Bay Bridge and is stone's throw away from the water, hence the name.

The weather is absolutely gorgeous in the City today, and I never tire of checking out the guys/tourists. ;)

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That place looks pretty cool. I always like to find a good science museum in cities I visit. What are some other good ones? Ideally with IMAX theaters?

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

The California Science Center in Los Angeles has an IMAX. It's right next door to the Coliseum.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Got it. Thanks for the tip. I see there's even a brand new subway line that goes down there. /squee

16. the 4th hanson bro

the 4th hanson bro No one can resist my Schweddy Balls Admiral

The Pittsburgh science museum is pretty nice, with an IMAX theatre.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ You read my mind. :)

(I'll have ~three days in Pittsburgh so that is extra helpful)

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well? Do we get a debrief? :)

19. DS9Continuing

Fnarr fnarr.