Amazing Spiderman #700

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by BillJ, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This thing costs almost 8 bucks on comixology rofl. Who the hell would pay that?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Spider-Man fans. I bought it, and don't regret doing so, but then I liked it *shrugs* and have been a Slott fan since he's been on the book.

Kaine won't be a factor in this IMO. He has a story of his own going on right now. Although it will be interesting to see if they have Superior encounter Scarlet Spider at some point since Kaine was responsible for killing Otto the first time I believe :) Or at least snapped his neck, I don't know if that was retconned though when they brought Otto back.

I believe Peter will return well before "Amazing Spider-Man 2" comes out.

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

suckers. :)

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Some people budget for comics, and other people don't have to budget.

That second lot.

I hate them.

5. Admiral_Young

So the people who actually liked the story and bought the book are suckers? I guess I'm a sucker then and glad to be one ;)

Normally I wouldn't have bought such an expensive book, but I'd been looking forward and planning to buy Amazing #700 for quite some time anyway. So yeah I budgeted it for it and like I said above, don't regret it at all. I'll most likely be getting the Dying Wish hardcover when it comes out in the spring time too.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  6. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think what is most people putting off isn't that Peter is dead. I'm sure almost everyone is aware that this is only temporary.

The problem is the new premise. We have a creepy old fuck in a young man's body who might get to rape the girlfriend of his arch nemesis (who he killed).
    That right there is just gross and I don't wanna read about it at all..

Other replacement stories don't really compare since the replacements (like Dick Grayson, Ben Reilly or Bucky) where nice guys who hadn't forced anything on the hero.

7. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus this was how they decided to celebrate the 50th anniversary so that probably going to annoy people

Interestingly enough from what I hear Ben Reilly was an ironic case where in a period where replacement heroes were dark and gritty versions of the originals the new guy wasn't dark and gritty where as the original he replaced was in a dark and gritty story because Parker was angsting over thinking he was the clone at the time.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I think comics biggest problem is they use to do things that simply couldn't be done in movies because of cost and the tech didn't yet exist to pull it off. Now I can spend four bucks on a comic that takes five minutes to read or spend ten and go watch super-heroes do the same thing on the big screen for two hours.

Comics no longer have the market cornered when it comes to 'larger than life' story telling.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

It's something like 97 pages total. Of course it costs more than a normal issue. I don't regret spending a penny of it.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know where exactly to put this

[​IMG]

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Dan Slott was on NPR's Weekend Edition this morning. Guest host Linda Wertheimer mentioned that Stan turned 90 this week, and Slott said how he wished Lee a happy birthday earlier in the week, and Lee's response was, "Great birthday present, Dan, killing off Peter Parker!" :lol:

On a tangential note, someone should have told Wertheimer that Peter hasn't been a teenager since the 1960s.

12. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny bit was when Slott replied saying he was gonna print that tweet out and put it on his fridge, and Lee joked "well at least then you'll have some decent writing in your house". :lol:

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

14. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just dunno What they were thinking with this idea. It would have been fine around like 695 or something, instead of the Lizard story and then Pete hanging up the webs and say giving it to like Alpha or something who can somehow take his place in the spider-totem thingy. And Peter Parker stays a scientist, gets back with MJ, knocks her up and just steps away... until the next uber storyline

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see. So if Peter's consciousness is not in the bot, and not in his own body, it must logically be in Ock's body; thus, how could he possibly return? If Peter is trapped in Ock's body when it dies, then how can Peter do anything but die?

Having SpiderOck possess only Peter's memories doesn't make him Peter, of course.

16. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

From what we "know" right now, the Octobot is sans master, since Peter had been controlling it by virtue of being in Ock's body (and likewise, Ock had previously controlled his various Octobots through brain wave transmissions or whatever, and no longer could once in Peter's body). But you do raise the big question.

We didn't see the Octobot transfer Ock's imprint into Peter's body in the first place (when it happened, it was off-panel and only later depicted). So, in like fashion, I'm currently assuming that Peter-in-Ock had the Octobot return to his body after the failed attempt to transfer his own imprint back into his body, while everyone was too focused on the Spidey/Ock fight/talk - and that, before finally dying, he transferred his full consciousness (whatever that would be, compared to an "imprint"*) into the bot, turning the bot itself into his new body.

That said, I'm hoping that Slott (or whoever is writing the book by then) finds a different and unexpected method to bring Peter back. It'd be boring if our two likeliest possible answers right now end up being one of the options that is ultimately used a year or two down the road when this SpiderOck storyline wraps up and Peter returns.

(* I honestly have no idea what the distinction is supposed to be vis a vis "consciousness vs imprint," but there seems to be one since the Octobots were portrayed as being controlled by a consciousness inside a body even when carrying someone's imprint. An imprint alone apparently wasn't enough to "drive" the bots.)

17. Admiral_Young

That's actually a photoshopped version of the actual photo which featured Stan shredding a copy of Superman #75 :)

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The Man Who Stole Spider-Man #700. And The Man Who Stopped Him.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/29/the-man-who-stole-spider-man-700-and-the-man-who-stopped-him/

Why the hell would someone steal this? :guffaw:

19. Admiral_Young

^ Possibly to spoil it? *Shrugs*.

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Comics still can do lots of things that can't be done in movies, not because of technology (honestly, who cares about that?), but because of the unique storytelling opportunities that sequential art offers.