is star trek DS9 best star trek series

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by tmosler, Aug 24, 2012.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi i resently got done watching all the DS9 episodes and without a doubt it is my favorite star trek series along with the original series. So i was surprised when I went online and read on some fourms that a lot of people think its the worst series. I just wanted to see what people here think.

2. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Really? Well, I haven't seen that, thank goodness. Where did you go?

Btw, to answer your question, for me it's a YES! I haven't seen all of all of them so all I can say is that it's a yes so far. I started watching it, and I just kept going. That hasn't happened with any other Trek series so far.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never seen anyone but one-series folk say it was "the worst".

Forget about those idiots tmosler. On this forum it is highly and near universally respected :)

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

And you heard it from and Admiral, so it must be true! :)

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some people do think DS9 is a "betrayal" of Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek and don't give it the time of day. That's their opinion.

I personally think it's the best of all the Trek series. There's drama, conflict and the human condition is really explored in a way that none of the other series do. To say nothing of excellent story arcs and character devolopment. Just watch Emissary and What you Leave Behind back to back for a reminder of how everyone really changed and grew over those seven years.

6. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it is, personally.

It still has flaws, and I've come to see more of them as time goes on. But it's still one of my favorite TV shows, and definitely the best Trek series, just edging out TNG for me.

You know what's an absolute trip?

Though it ended up being much more heavily serialized than other Trek shows, that wasn't really the plan for DS9 from day one. Sure, they maybe wanted to have more story arcs than TOS or TNG, but during the first season, no one on the production or writing staff had any idea that we were going to end up with the Dominion War, and the Pah-Wraiths, and that Sisko and Dukat were going to end up developing this intertwining, multi-leveled adversarial relationship (and sometimes decidedly NOT adversarial, which made it even more interesting... their relationship was, above all else, complex), with episodes like "Waltz", ultimately all leading to the big fire cave scene in "What You Leave Behind."

NONE of that was planned out.

But having finished the series, knowing what you know, go back to "Emissary", to the scene where Dukat and Sisko first meet.

It's totally filmed like they DID have it all planned out.

From the way the music fades out when Dukat slowly, dramatically steps through the doorway to Sisko's office, to the way the camera stays zoomed way in on his face when he says, "Good day, Commander", followed by a dramatic pause from Sisko before replying, "Gul Dukat."

It's incredible to watch this scene after having seen the whole series, knowing what happens between these two characters. It's almost hard to believe it WASN'T all planned out. :lol:

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I like to call that backshadowing Saito S! It really amps up season one when you watch it that way.

8. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

thank you everyone for your comments. Is nice to see a lot of people like the series like I do.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Although it has some great moments, DS9 is my least favourite Trek. It's just so.... drab. And brown.

And the Bajorans. Ugh.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It all depends on where you go, but most polls of ST fans I've seen generally place DSN towards the top end. Certainly no lower than number 3 behind TOS and TNG.

11. heavylids

heavylids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, it's the best. Never heard someone say it's the worst. Probably, because ENT is by far the worst Trek series.

12. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

Personally, I'm torn on DS9.

On one hand, it is quite conflctual with Roddenberry's ideals.
    On the other hand, there are quite a few good characters and stories in there, if you ignore the religious/anti-humanist propaganda (and the Bajorans).

DS9 is basically the converse of VOY: VOY tried to build upon TOS/TNG, but was poorly executed; DS9 deliberately went against TOS/TNG, but received such quality execution that it just cannot be overlooked.
    In the end, it's not the best, it's not the worst; it's middle of the pack and, like all Trek series, has great episodes and terrible episodes.

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

My late friend Steve hated DS9 because it was too serialized. He just hate serialized tv shows.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I don't know if it is the 'best', but it is certainly up there. A couple of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was the serialization and the fact it broke some boundries. I wanted to invest my time in these people and have rewatched the series several times. Never disappointing. Carry on with the books.

15. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Yeah, duh:techman::rommie:

16. Photon

if it was humanist and anti religion, the TNG should have been your fav show of all time. And you should erect a shrine to Jean Luc.

I despise TNG's preachiness.

17. Photon

Ooops, racist statement.....:rommie:

18. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think DS9 is the best Trek series

19. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:eek:I meant the sets, costumes and station!!!