Ghostbusters update

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Sep 5, 2008.

1. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Moments of greatness do shine through in Ghostbusters 2.

When I watch the film I get the feeling that there was very heavy interference from the studio and that Aykroyd and Ramis weren't allowed to make the movie they wanted to.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I get that same feeling when people want a back to the future 4. It would probably be focused on the brown family since they already have 4 people for the poster ;)

marty
    marty and doc
    marty, doc and clare
    doc, clare, jules and verne

and it would probably be kid friendly.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah you can tell the studio tried to soften everything up and make it more "family friendly". The edgy humor was gone and the ghosts were just a lot less creepy.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably had something to do with the cartoon which was pretty popular at the time.

5. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Apatow and the people from The Office? Sounds good so far. Get back to me when Murray signs on.

6. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

Everybody who's saying that the studio is responsible for watering down the sequel really, REALLY needs to read Aykroyd's original script for the first movie.

7. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

You got it anywhere handy?

8. Broccoli

If memory serves, wasn't it really over the top with the Ghostbusters going through time and space catching ghosts? And a ghost like Stay Puft, wasn't an "end boss" kind of ghost, but rather a regular one they would catch?

I don't think it wasn't until Ramis and Rietman came on board before that got scaled back to a more "realistic" setting.

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's about a hundred and sixty pages long, with Ghostbusters "franchises" set up across the country and massive inter-dimensional battles every thirty pages or so. The Ectomobile was a ghost-busting battletank, the Stay-Puft man showed up on page 25 and was dealt with on page 30, there was no characterization to speak of and it was an unfilmable disaster.

After Aykroyd consulted Reitman about it, Reitman said that there were some good ideas in there, but the script was unshootable and that Aykroyd should call Harold Ramis and get his input; it was then that Aykroyd and Ramis met up at a Martha's Vineyard cabin and hammered out the new script.

10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

From Harold Ramis:

And he wasn't alone. They conducted rituals up in the office. Bizarre rituals, intended to bring about a third Ghostbusters movie, and now it looks like it may actually happen.

11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hmm...that actually sounds pretty promising. I could live with the Big Four in a mentoring role...assuming the new guys (and gals?) are interesting (and are NOT Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson).

Of course, if this format works out and it's a success, I bet Columbia will want to continue with the new people.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

With Apatow involved there's probably going to be roles for

Seth Rogen
    Paul Rudd
    Jonah Hill

Having the munchies with Slimer and Jonah hill freaking out as one of the ghostbusters proton pack beams just grazes him

13. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SO BE GOOD! For goodness sake...... Whooooooooooooaaaaaaaaa something's coming!

I've been giddy for a few days about this announcement. I love the original cast may get together, and I'm anxious to see what Apatow and the dudes from The Office can come up with. I know a lot of people think it'll be a stoner comedy with the word "fuck" every few lines, but personally, I think it won't be.

And I frigging LOVE the idea of the Ghostbusters, Apatow (I love the 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up) and the Office (one of my favorite TV shows) teaming up to do a new GB movie.

I think Steve Carell and Paul Rudd were born to wear the jumpsuits and proton packs :)

14. DJCarlos

DJCarlos Ensign Newbie

Are we talking about the people who wrote the British "The Office" or the vastly inferior US version?

Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant would write an awesome "Ghostbusters" script.

15. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Frankly, I just want Ryan Reynolds involved. I think he'd make the perfect "new" Venkman type.

16. Broccoli

And it may not, but we can really only judge someone on what they've done and have been most know for doing before, and looking at the stuff Apatow has written, directed, or produced, it veers in that direction.

17. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Well, as I mentioned elsewhere, with a new Ghostbuster's comic book apparently on its way, there is still a lot of interest in the franchise.

I will have to say this: Ghostbusters: the Return wasn't bad conceptually but executed wrong with a lot of problems with character ages and such.

18. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

AICN is has some encouraging comments from Bill Murray about the third movie.

Wow, this thing may actually happen.

19. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

WOW IS RIGHT! I never imagined him to be nostalgic for Ghostbusters. More than nostalgic but enthusiastic about doing another one. With that being the case he NEEDS to be a central character in the film. I have no problem with new Ghostbusters. But it would be a waste of Bill Murray to have him in the film and not use him to the fullest.

I could envision that Venkman used his involvement with the Ghostbusters to be become a full out celebrity. After the events of Ghostbusters II Ray,Egon, and Winston did franchise the business. Peter milks his connection and continues to collect a paycheck. But has no interest in ghostbusting. But a new generation of Ghostbusters perceive him as an expert on the supernatural and a heroic figure. When the main crisis of the plot happens these new guys demand that their hero return to active duty. Ray and Egon try to lower their expectations. There could be some conflict when they meet the real Peter Venkman.

All of this of course is informed by real life. How Ghostbusters made Bill Murray an icon to a generation. But he long has had ambivalence towards it. But we would see Venkman, like Murray himself, come to embrace it.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  20. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I kinda liked the idea someone floated around about Venkman being dead and coming back as a ghost...but I dunno.

This new political/Mayor movie of Murray's looks almost surreal....