Ghostbusters update

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

But even as live action they can make him a CGI Ghost.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think people are familiar enough with what Ramis looks like nowadays. It won't be a shock to see him heavier than he used to be.

I think the bigger issue is the AGE of these actors. They're all so old and gray now that it would look almost ridiculous to see them still walking around in jumpsuits with proton packs strapped to their backs. Maybe 10 years ago they could have pulled it off, but not now.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing them in the movie, but only as mentors or something like that.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I'm sure the plot would have something to do with them coming out of retirement. That, or they're about to go into it.

I don't see what's so weird about them wearing the suits and proton packs at their ages. They're more like firefighter uniforms than superhero costumes.

4. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Unless it's written by Dan Aykroyd & Harold Ramis, I don't want to see it. Especialyl when it's written by people who write "The Office" -- one of the unfunniest shows I have ever witnessed.

5. Spaceman Spiff

Ah, now it becomes clearer.

6. tharpdevenport

Everything becomes clearer when "The Office" is attached to it.

Fact of the matter is that a script is already made. Only thing holding it up is Bill Murray. And since he doesn't want to do it (last time saying unless he died and was a ghost) and they aren't even going to redo the script to accomidate Murray's absense, equals the studio is making this in their own terms, and probably a new cast. I hope you're ready for a suck-fest.

This will probably transmogrify into a "re-visioning" later.

7. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

uh i guess i imagined the emmy and writers guild awards.

8. tharpdevenport

Winning an Emmy doesn't equal "great" nor does it make them people who should write a Ghostbusters movie. Gustavo Santaolalla won two Oscars after all...

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    For that matter, how many awards did the original Ghostbusters win? Probably far fewer than what they deserved to win, which is ALL OF THEM!!!:techman:

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Ah, that's true. I had forgotten about that thing. :lol:

That's about how I imagined it, too, although preferably the former.

As for Murray, I hope they coax him into it (although him as a ghost would be interesting).

11. Spaceman Spiff

So aside from awards, critical and financial success, what other barometer is there to measure greatness in your eyes? Besides ample use of MS Paint, I mean.

12. Worf412

Worf412 Angry Pirate Rear Admiral

Hey Tharp, I'm a fan of the office, and I don't want anybody to not like it... It's just that good!

After having observed your sense of humor though your self-made thread bombs, I think I can help. Here's the Office catering to your specific joke style.

[​IMG]

Hopefully, the next time you watch the Office, you'll think of this picture, and it'll make you smile. :)

13. tharpdevenport

Since you're quitre taken with my posting and would rather read them than ignore -- I'll tell you what else is a barometer for "greatness" when it comes to "Ghostbuster":

Original writers. GB2 may not have been so good, but it still had it's laughs and interest, and is miles better than, say "Men In Black 2".

Aside from the regular actors appearing, the original writers should also have a say in the actors, would should be "Actors" and not just famous names or people we see everyday or could "sell" a film.

The score should be traditional; not "hip-hop fusing" like "Babylong A.D." or any crap RZA scores. And prefferably done by his son or one of the orchestrators from the first film (who also compose scores).

14. Spaceman Spiff

Not true. I ignore your posts quite often. But I like Ghostbusters. :)

Yeah, about four.

What did Aykroyd, Ramis, Lee Eisenberg or Gene Stupnitsky have to do with Men In Black II? Do you seriously mean to make your point by selecting a random sequel as an example? By that logic, you could say that Ghostbusters 3 will be great because The Empire Strikes Back was miles better than Star Wars.

What makes you think they don't? The whole thing hinges on all four actors returning, which puts them in the position of power. This thing won't get made unless it's a script they want to film.

I'm just going to speculate crazily and assume that Eisenberg and Stupnitsky were selected by Ramis to write this movie, since they wrote the one he just directed.

15. tharpdevenport

"Newsradio" is a good office comedy, but I wouldn't want the writers from that show doing GB3.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

This is so wrong as to be utterly hilarious.

Yes, Hellbent exists as a script. And, yes, Murray had agreed to do it, provided he died in the opening act and returned as a ghost in the climax -- which was in the draft. Aykroyd accommodated Murray's requests -- Venkman was killed during the script's opening twenty pages, in the now-clichéd in media res opening of movies. The Ghostbusters were fighting a beast, and Venkman bit the dust, which led to the Ghostbusters 2-like opening of a crisis being concluded with a cut to black and the Ghostbusters logo. He returned at the climax, when Hell had taken over Earth, and as such the beings residing in Hell were now on Earth -- including Venkman, which prompted some silly lines by Stantz and Egon about how it was fitting that Venkman wound up there.

However, the resulting script was so horrible that even Ivan Reitman (who, at the time, held one of the refusal rights to further Ghostbusters properties -- Aykroyd, Ramis, Reitman and Columbia / Sony all had to sign off -- though I believe that contract is no longer in effect) told Aykroyd that the thing was unworkable and, in light of Aykroyd's refusal to start from scratch, told him "Fine, I'll sign off on it, do what you want, but I won't be involved." That's when Ramis decided that he would direct.

The insistence that Aykroyd and / or Ramis write the script for a Ghostbusters 3 is laughable, given Aykroyd's propensity for being batshit crazy and Ramis' spotty track record over the last decade and a half.

And even Ivan Reitman made My Super Ex-Girlfriend.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Harold Ramis confirms this apparently with Judd Apatow attached as a producer (maybe director - speculation on my part). I gotta say, I am a little disappointed. But, who knows, maybe Ghostbusters who are slacker/stoners who are sex-crazed and shout "fuck" every two minutes will be comedy gold.

Link.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I liked about ghostbusters, they were just glorified exterminators.

"Suck in the guts guys, we're the ghostbusters"
    :lol:

19. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

maybe... they're going for that "unscripted" type of story. a sort of... "documentary" type film... or something like that.... >_<

20. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Greater objectivity.

--Ted