Authors on the Boards

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Recently we've been starting to see some criticisms of some of the writers responses to comments from other members. Personally, I don't think I've seen a single instance of any authors reacting inappropriately. I think the thing to remember when writing comments on and criticisms of books, not just Trek but books in general, is that the authors spend months, and in the cases of original fiction sometimes years, developing and writing books. They're not just thrown together for the hell of it, a lot of thought, and time goes into these things, so I think it's perfectly understandable if perhaps authors get a little passionate about there books. It's also worth keeping in mind that the characters, concepts, and actions all come from the authors, with some input from editors, so if you're calling any of those things stupid, you're basically calling the author stupid.
    So if you're going to be criticizing a book, please try to put at least a little bit of thought into what you're writing. I think what the authors go through to write a novel earns them at least that much.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's also worth pointing out that we have nothing against criticism per se; recognizing the flaws in our work and striving to overcome them is how we got good enough to get published in the first place, so constructive critical feedback can be very helpful. When certain posters' comments have evoked negative reactions, it hasn't been because they criticized, but because of how they criticized, if it came off as petty or mean-spirited or unfair. There's a right way and a wrong way to critique a work.

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My thoughts on the matter are here and here.

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    There's also a right way and a wrong way to receive criticism. Some authors are gracious; some are not.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You didn't really read all of Christopher's post, did you?

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I refuse to be drawn into yet another round of "Let's all bash Timewalker because she was mean to Christopher!" :rolleyes:

I was speaking in general terms. I've met a fair number of SF/F authors over the past 30 years, and on the occasions when I had something critical or otherwise less-than-positive thing to say about their work, some of them were gracious and polite, and a couple of them were downright rude.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah we already have some excellent examples of how not to criticize/receive criticism on this thread. How efficient we are. :p

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

When you're telling people to "shut the fuck up", you've reacted inappropriately.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking about this recently and my concern is that this could lead to the Treklit threads been seen as a hostile place. Whether or not any authors have voted with their feet in the past, I don't want to see it happen now. A large (for me the largest) attraction to the site is the authors participation - it makes it way more interesting.

There certainly shouldn't be any prohibition of criticism and I don't think the authors would want that either, but things seem to have got pretty negative in places. No author will have a 100% record of great books but we've had some pretty harsh statements about certain authors output, some of whose work I have found enjoyable.

Lets try not to get into arguments, even when we disagree, whether its authors or fans involved. Sho's code of conduct sounds good. It's possible to express opinions without making personal attacks and to discuss in a non confrontational manner when our opinions differ.

I'd actually like to see MORE authors on here regularly - if our current authors could 'spread the word' I'd be grateful, but they're unlikely to do so if they feel unwelcome.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Compared to the old usenet newsgroups, this place at its worst is like some posh Victorian gentlemen's Club in a Sherlock Holmes movie...

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Depends on context, often it's completely appropriate, often it's the only sensible response - especially when dealing with some of the puffed-up blowhards on here who think that because they have knocked out some shitty fan-fiction this means that they have the same insights into publishing and writing as professional paid authors.

That doesn't mean that people can't have a view but they should try and match their ego to their talent and actual output.

Moreover, the faux outrage when an author has the temerity to point this out is hilarious - you think they were expected to get down and suck the reader's dick the way some of the posters here hyperventilate.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

'Sir, your latest offering has failed to please me. Should you continue in a similar vein you shall leave me with no alternative but to tell you again...'. :)

13. JoeZhang

"I bid you good day sir".

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

''Cad !''

Seriously, though - if we all play nice, we get to carry on playing...

15. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I think Greg Cox sets the best example of how a professional should conduct himself when dealing with a fangroup message board. He will respond to legitimate questions and comment freely but I haven't seen him get baited into a stupid flame war over his work.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Cox sucking? :devil:

17. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

I apologise if I have come off as mean or unfair: I love the work of our treklit authors and wouldn't want them to stop!

18. JoeZhang

Hah. :lol:

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd have to disagree. Sure it might be kind of harsh, but if you're not going to be reasonable in your criticisms, then you should just shut the fuck up. You honestly can't expect the authors to just sit and take when people are ripping on their work for no good reason.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. There's legitimate criticism, and then there's just being a rude, mean-spirited asshole. An author has every right to tell the later to just shut the fuck up.