Orci Meets with CBS About New Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by dansigal, Oct 13, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I doubt we'll see Trek on CBS's flagship anyway. Likely be Sci-Fi or Showtime before they stick on CBS primetime.

2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

CBS is not going to put Star Trek on their flagship station period. If it's live action CBS will air it on CW, Showtime, or sell the show to someone else(TNT). If it's animated then CBS will let Cartoon Network and Disney XD fight for it.

3. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

You sure just said the name that put me most worried. It is true, I have watched Clone Wars until somewhere middle of Season 4 than gave up. I just couldn't take it anymore. True, there were some excellent episodes, but half or even more per season were mostly episodes about R2D2, some clones fooling around, Amidalas adventures with ultra damned down stories that were a pain to watch. And this is what I'm fearing about from Star Trek being a cartoon.

And I'm not wanting a super serious approach at all, I just don't want a dumbed down cartoon. You think it's okay to do a kids cartoon ignoring the millions of grown up fans? They should do a live action TV series and a marketing for the kids too. TNG wasn't dumbed down, it was a good TV show (20 years after TOS so fans where aging too than), still it had been a great success and appealed to kids without being animation. You just have to find a way to make kids aver too, the rest will come (I know it came too me, I become a TNG and Star Trek fan when I was 10)

4. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

I'll never really understand why fans worry so much about demographics. So what if kids are or are not interested? As you say, you'll die and the kids will move on to something that does interest them.

Maybe instead of worrying about what's in the best interest for Paramount, CBS, or whatever entity stands to make a profit, people should just be interested in what they're interested in.

That said, I'd be interested in a Star Trek show that appeals to adults. An animated show could be that, but it's likely to skew more towards kids.

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I wasn't suggesting animation as a way to appeal specifically to kids. Visually, animation would allow for more freedom to do more imaginative stories with Kirk and Spock on some really alien worlds. To do another live action Kirk and Spock on TV while they're also on the big screen would be a mistake, IMO, and to do yet another live action spinoff with yet another ship, yet another captain, and yet another crew no one cares about except a few hardcore fans who'll watch anything with "Star Trek" in the title would be a monumental blunder.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't know about you but most people I know were introduced to Star Trek as children in the 70's. Too completely ignore that demographic is pretty silly.

I'm interested in Star Trek and I'm interested in sports/entertainment business. So I do like to examine the business side and try to predict what may or may not succeed.

I've seen many animated shows that were supposedly skewed towards "kids" that are very adult. I have no issue at all with an animated Star Trek.

And animation would be far cheaper.

It would likely drive a stake through the franchise for good.