Well, I Figured its Time...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Atolm, May 4, 2013.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fantastic work as always, Atolm!:techman:

By the way, I first saw your design on the Subspace Comms, which I go to once every month to look at updates, since not everything posted there gets posted here.

For some reason, I always find swept-forward wings fascinating, more exotic. Maybe because I have a tendency to go with swept-back pylons or wings.

However, the current theory is that Warp Drive works by folding space. I'm guessing that the Space Fold Drive is suppose to work by folding space all the way between the departure point and destination, instead of pulling and pushing space in increments.

I would imagine that would take a lot more energy than Warp Drive, especially the further that you fold space. Perhaps a reason that Space Folding technology was put on the back-burners for the more readily available Quantum Slipstream?;)

And yes, you do have a tendency to try and push the envelope, while I usually try to to variations on a theme, or make descendants of a given design (actually, it was one of your designs that influenced one of my own!), though it might not be very noticeable, given that I haven't really posted that many designs, and I'm a turtle when it comes to posting stuff, due to being OCD at trying to be perfect, so I have a ton of work that isn't finished, and hence hasn't been scanned or posted.

I guess I should follow your example and post something in the next week or so!

Another thing I've noticed time and again is that your hull plating for your designs is always fantastic looking, but half the time, you don't draw in the weapons.
    I'm the opposite, I usually pay great attention to weapons arrays, but the deflector grids and hull platings are usually after-thoughts. I wonder why that is the case, and have always thought that this is because we specialize in different details.
    Not necessarily a criticism; more of an observation.

Incidentally, because of the dish at the front of the deflector and the lack of phaser arrays, I'm left wondering if the Halo is TOS-era, even though the overall design says Post-Nemesis era.

So, I'm left wondering, what era is the Halo from?

2. Atolm

Atolm Commodore Commodore

lol thanks mate :)

no it is where I wanted it. I had thought of designing "tails' to the nacelles, but tossed that right away, as it is not what I wanted to achieve. As for the concept of balance, well there you are dancing dangerously close to opinion, not fact. In any structure balance can be found, it may not appeal to the observer's sense of balance, but it is still balanced nevertheless. Great crit though :)

Thanks mate!

That's a great visual! I would not make the nacelles larger as their very diameter would begin to throw off the entire design...I tossed a few diameters and found this to be satisfactory.

See above comment :)

no...lol...no The balance is to its own. As I always state, generally poor orthos, can create amazingly beautiful actuals and perspectives.

3. Atolm

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

5. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    I can see energy vortices crackling in the rings as the drive powers up...

6. Atolm

First and foremost, thanks mate!
    now IMO, I post most of my finalized designs, I will post ideas I liked, loved, or was eh about because no matter what, I feel they can be used to be compared and contrasted against by others. I don't presume to be the best designer or anything close, but I do believe I have pushed further than most. Everyone has their comfort level with their work and that same comfort level can and usually does change from genre to genre or subject to subject.
    As for weapons vs hull details; To me weapons are not important, it is generally easy for me or someone else to drop them onto a ship. But hull lines to me are just another outlet for me to create. I do have my style, so you obviously can tell my designs from anyone else, and when I design, I try to to conform to some "norms" of the subject, but ultimately it will reflect my interpretation of those norms.
    Lastly, I would say this ship was TNG, but there are details in the design I purposely put in to evoke a feeling of TOS, and placed those details as an homage...this does also create the dual option of keeping the observer on their toes :)

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Your pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking. ;)

8. Atolm

LOL :rommie: :techman:

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

You do some really fine work.

10. Atolm

Thanks much bro, that means a lot.

11. JES

You're quite welcome, but I think you've more than earned the compliments.:techman: I always enjoy looking at your designs.
    You might not presume that you are the best designer, and I respect humility; I think it is a very good virtue, but I think that many fellow artists and artwork lovers alike think that you are one of the best.;)

Referring to weapons vs hull details, I guess that weapons placement is a creative outlet for me; determining how well armed a given design is, and where they are mounted, which is often determined by a design's intended predecessors and contemporaries. To me, they are a fun detail, and there is no hiding that I like to think tactically. I supposed I need to learn how to better wrap my head around deflector grids. On some days, they come out looking great, while on others occasions, I think they look lackluster.:p
    And thanks for clarifying the era the Halo belongs to. Not a bad name by the way; not a name used very much in Trek fandom.;)

12. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it's his own fault that people see "Atolm" as a shorter way of saying "unconventional quality work". ;)

13. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great design and really beautiful detail, nice to see such a fluid shape. Reaching for a pencil now, inspired.

14. JES

^In instances where this happens, you just know that you're on to something good.

15. Atolm

Thanks mates!

16. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

I think you may be on to something here... This has the makings for what I think could be a DYNAMITE visual!

But you're holding back too much! You need to REALLY push the envelope. Those nacelles look too much like ordinary nacelles simply bent into a circle - yet they also suggest they're capable of really exotic mind-and-space-warping stuff! GO for it!

17. Atolm

you mean like this?
    [​IMG]

18. erifah

erifah Captain Captain

YES! That is EXACTLY what I was imagining.

Crack cocaine is a helluva drug.

19. Atolm

lol
    That's the one I've been working on now.

20. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, I'd hate to have to try and get from one "end" of this ribbon ship to the other! :lol: Seriously amazing work! :techman: