Why doesn't someone do...? A Dr Who/Trek Crossover.

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain Jed R., Oct 6, 2014.

1. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hate to be the guy who says "why doesn't someone do this?", mainly because the most obvious answer is "well why don't you?" (To which I would respond with "I would if I had time, money, enough people nearby who I know would be interested and all the other things that seem the preserve of the big fan film makers...", but that sounds bitter and I'm really not - and besides which, it is among my dearest, not to say my least likely, hopes that one day, I will have all those things - but I digress), but...

Why doesn't someone make a Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover film?

There's enough fans of both franchises on both sides of the pond for any major group I can think of (and probably a few I regrettably don't) to do a film and get the requisite folks together. I could think of a bunch of writers who'd be willing to do it (hell, there I could actually put my money where my mouth is - I'd kill to write that and it'd sure be a stress reliever from MA work and the baby!) and done right (tricky, but possible) it'd be the proper crossover that fans of both franchises have been waiting for for absolutely forever! Sure, it's a crazy fannish idea, and a lot of the big hitters seem to want to dodge "fannish" ideas - and more power to them, not saying they shouldn't at all - but my God, would it be awesome.

Apologies if this is unwelcome, but I felt the need to ask. Also apologies if I've inadvertently offended anyone - not my intention. I close the post with well wishes. :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Asked and answered.

3. Captain Jed R.

"Writing" is not the same as "doing". I hate to be sarcastic, but I could write a sci-fantasy epic about the attack of the Flying Spaghetti Monsters on downtown Los Angeles. That doesn't mean that it'll be out next week in cinemas starring Cameron Diaz. I could also write this script up and send it to every fan film group out there, but unless I miss my mark, most - if any - groups don't accept submissions by nobodies from Yorkshire.

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'd imagine it might be a bit more dodgy combining two separate things in regards to copyright holders letting people make fan films of their stuff

though i'm sure i saw some very amateurish thing once that looked like it was made by some kids that had star trek and dr who (and other stuff) in it

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Having a script in hand first would greatly strengthen your proposal. That's all I meant.

Everyone and their brother has an idea for a fan film. Fleshing it out, actually composing a meaningful and entertaining story is another thing. Too, actually having such a document complete or at least ready for review/rewrites would move you from the category of "nobodies from Yorkshire" and into the realm of "writer."

I'm not trying to be cynical or a jerk. Just offering a different perspective on the process.

6. Captain Jed R.

First off, I don't think you're being a jerk. I was just pointing out that writing isn't doing, which isn't what you meant, so fair play.

Secondly: it's not like I've never made or written a fan film before (I'm actually quite experienced at fan film making, just I stick with Doctor Who stuff usually - Lungbarrow Brothers on YouTube, if you're at all interested), but in my experience the entire process usually begins from a point of knowing it's definitely going to happen (or at least that it has a real chance of happening). That doesn't exist in this case. In addition, there's no point writing a fan film script for a crossover because with precisely two exceptions, there's no one group doing the same thing, and even in those two exceptions case, they're the only ones doing it.

To clarify: I could theoretically write a script for the TOS crew (I actually have a concept for Kirk et al), but after putting all that effort in, I only have two avenues - Continues and Phase II. If neither of them say yes (I don't know the submission policies of either but I doubt they do), the script is useless because no one else uses the TOS crew. Work wasted.

I could theoretically write a script for any one group that uses unique characters, but they're the only ones who use those characters and so doing that would be a massive waste of time - time that I have very limited amounts of (Masters degree, baby, et al). Also: rewriting the entire script to feature different crews every time the concept got rejected would, again, take time. If this were my job, that would be different. It isn't, it's a hobby.

It's somewhat different to writing the Doctor Who stuff I do, partially because I'm in control of that but also because if, for example, I wrote a story for one fan Doctor I work with, but he pulled out, the script is transferable with comparatively little work (which has happened more than once in my experience!).

I could, in theory, come up with outlines for any group, but as you point out - a script is something you can take to people. If I wrote a one page outline, that wouldn't be the same thing: I don't know the strength of a one page outline by comparison to a full script, but I'm working under the theory that there is a difference.

Of course, it's not like I'm not aware that there's an uncertainty principle in "real" writing, but the tangible difference is that my experience of "real" writing has been producing or submitting IP that I created, which I can then re-use elsewhere should I feel the need (example: I submitted a script to the BBC using original IP - that IP is mine and should they choose not to commission it, I can use it elsewhere if I so desire). This fan film business is different though. If I write a TOS script, the only people using those characters are the two aforementioned groups (or JJ Trek, but they're out of this question).

In any case, thirdly: I wasn't saying that I, personally, had to be the one who writes it. I was merely asking about the possibility of it happening/saying it would be awesome, with a side comment that I, personally, would love to do it (which I would). Theoretically, if Phase II or Continues, or any of the major fan groups, were to do such a crossover, I doubt very much that they'd requisition the writing skills of a fan writer like me (especially since I do not flatter myself that I am a well-known fan-film presence in Who circles). It is more likely that they'd employ one of the writers they already have on hand to do the job, or failing that a more prolific Who fan.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Most filmmakers make films that they themselves want to see. If you want to see such a thing, just make the damned thing.

Nowadays most people have mobile phones that shoot HD. Write a simple script to use an available location (you don't need starship or Tardis sets) find a few fans with costumes and go all Nike: Just. Do. It.

Honestly, I've made short subjects, start to finish, in two days for 48 Hour Film Project contests. It's not impossible. In fact, such a time limit can be liberating. The problem is you're putting up STOP signs in your own path and saying "I think I can't".

8. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure what Phase II would attempt for a Doctor Who crossover, but Continues would probably try to make it in period of the original run of Star Trek. My guess would be just anytime during production, rather than afterwards into 1970. That would mean the Doctor would be the Second Doctor, as played by Patrick Troughton. (If the production of either group is set instead in a theoretical fourth or fifth season of Star Trek in 1970 to 1972, than you are looking at the Third Doctor, as played by John Pertwee , who was mostly stuck in 1970s Earth in those years working with UNIT.)

If instead you go for some other timeframe as in universe of Doctor Who, that it could be just about any of the Doctors, with your fixed point being Captain Kirk's five year mission.

9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Julian Bane did a crossover of Dr. Who with Star Wars in his "Alternate Empire" series on YouTube. Julian is concentrating on audio these days, but he has a great look and the acting chops to make a very unique Doctor. He has a page on Facebook.

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

11. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Go to http://www.kelvington.com/doctor-who-trek-through-time-parts-1-3-joined/ to see a full half hour Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover! The result is astounding!

Also darkerprojects.com did an audio drama series called The Section 31 Files, their Season 4 finale INVASION saw the USS Nosferatu in the middle of a war between the Borg and the Daleks!

My favourite has to be Paul Gadzikowski's ongoing series of crossovers mixing Who and Trek continuity.

So long before IDW published Assimilation2 Doctor Who and Star Trek's world have unofficially met.

Several months ago Star Trek Continues asked on their Facebook "We have a lot of new things planned for episode 3 and beyond. Maybe even… a crossover? What do you think? Describe your dream Trek crossover. "

Doctor Who was an overwhelming reponse! Here's what I commented on the picture:

There's a guy in America who looks like Patrick Troughton but wether he can actually impersonate him is another thing altogether!

STC and Phase II use professional actors so it may be worth taking a gamble and getting a BBC Doctor?

12. Danlav05

I love Phase II but I think Continues would be the best platform for a crossover, and the man most likely to do it as I said is Sylvester McCoy, he's reprised the Seventh Doctor in several fan projects over the last decade-and-a-bit; he's in the Inspector Spacetime movie too with Robert Picardo.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I have fond memories for The Doctor and the Enterprise...

14. Captain Jed R.

Funnily enough, I get the feeling that if Phase II ever did do this crossover, they'd start there. As they should: Tom Baker's Doctor remains the iconic one, and it's as good a story for the two franchises as any you could hope to find.

15. Danlav05

I'd probably only accept a Phase II/Continues recast if the actor playing the Doctor was English. I can tell fake UK accents on USTv a mile off and I'm afraid it's a pet hate of mine!

16. Captain Jed R.

I know of plenty of American fan film Doctors who weren't all that bad (noticeable, sure, but not "bad"). Still, I'd have to agree with you in principle.

17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

That must be a difficult super power to have, how do you make it through the day?

18. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

That's one reason I appreciate Julian Bane's take on the Doctor. He just plays it straight up with his American accent. His "look" and his accent give it a unique feel. It doesn't hurt that Julian is an accomplished actor to begin with.

19. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    "This video is private."

That was wild! :lol: Why wasn't Paul McGann listed in the credits, though? I saw his Doctor onscreen.

Does Rowan Atkinson do fan films? He did a Doctor Who parody that was excellent.

20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Thanks. I'm removed that listing from STR.