Question about uniform changes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Levi, Feb 28, 2014.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That is how it should have stayed.

2. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

Don't quote me on this but I remember reading somewhere that they had screen tested some of the Voyager cast in the TNG and DS9 uniforms and decided the DS9 Uniforms looked better on the cast.

3. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

Has there ever been a leak online of the proposed new Starfleet uniform for Generations?

In the UK scifi mag SFX, in 1996 there was a big preview of First Contact, before any footage or images had been released. They described the proposed new uniforms as being departmental colour under garment with polo neck, black shoulders and a grey body. So effectively the First Contact uniforms, but the with the black and the grey swapped.

When pictures of the uniforms finally got released, I had always assumed the writer just made a mistake. But on reading this thread, I never knew they had plans for a Generations uniform until today.

Is it possible that they did try a grey body, black shoulders and department polo neck? They definitely did grey bodies before for all three of the cadet uniforms shown (TNG, DS9 and VOY), so somebody in the production side liked the concept.

4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Start here, and work your way down:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=243004

As the image in the link shows, the toy manufacturers of the Generations tie-in figures were never told that the unused uniforms had been dropped, so an entire wave of the toys was released with the crew wearing uniforms we never actually seen on screen.

5. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

Found a few threads using google.

Those are not a massive deviation from the TNG era uniforms. Maybe it was simply an error after all.

6. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They use the TNG uniform as a template, but they streamline some aspects (the removal of the "Charlie Brown Stripe" from the midriff; the addition of color to the collar), while needlessly complicating others (adding a TOS-movie style wraparound motif; putting rank braids onto the arms as well as still using the TNG rank pins).

I can understand why they were abandoned, but I don't necessarily see the DS9 jumpsuits (as seen in Generations) or the gray fatigues (seen in First Contact etc) as being objectively 'better'.