Star Trek Voyager: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by timothy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Re: Cadets Icheb and Naomi Wildman?

Just depends on when it's set I guess. More then a bit either side of IFM and there's no problem with him being there.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

But Icheb has 'some' experience with the Borg, and finding Borg traces is what Voyager / Full Circle is supposed to be doing...

3. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

People have died, and I bet Starfleet would see the benefit in replacing a deceased crewmember on Voyager with a new cadet who has Borg knowledge and experience, since searching for Borg remnants is a large part of Voyager's mission. It's not sentimentality, it's practicality.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Indistinguishable from Magic is set in early 2383, but the VGR novels are still only up to the summer of 2381 so far.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good, that means more Barclay for a while.

And yes, although I agree that Icheb has some knowledge of the Borg, there's already someone on the fleet with far more knowledge and experience: Seven of Nine. So again, why would Starfleet use resources like QSD on one freshly baked ensign.

The only reason I see it working, is if Starfleet decides to send a new ship to actually join the fleet, since the Planck was destroyed.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ IIRC, though, IDM implies that Barclay's return was fairly recently in relation to that novel's events.

7. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just because Barclay came back for the events of IFM doesn't mean he can't go back to the DQ with a supply run and crew exchange.

So when did Blind Man's Bluff occur since it has Seven and the Doctor in the alpha quad?

8. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You're actually blaming her for not listening to Q? So in "Encounter at Farpoint," did you think Picard was crazy for not turning Enterprise around and heading back for Earth? This whole "Janeway was so arrogant" argument is really annoying. Nobody listens to a Q. They have a poor track record of caring for humanity. And the Q here wasn't even the familiar Q who Janeway could be argued to have some sort of relationship with.

9. MatthiasRussell

By AGT, Picard had somewhat trusted Q. Janeway had likewise built a relationship with the Continuum. I'm not saying individuals should always follow Q direction, but in that instance (as in others), the Q was genuinely interested in Janeway's welfare. That should have been enough to cause her to act cautiously.

It was extremely silly for Janeway to think she would live to an old age because a future version of herself from a reality Janeway caused not to happen had grown old.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think that whatever trust Q and the other Q had earned was extremely limited and context-specific. It wasn't the kind of trust where you heed their warnings whenever they appear.

11. MatthiasRussell

I agree. In the case of the dead Borg cube, the Q seemed sincerely interested in Janeway's welfare. Given the Q's ability to know the future, it is wise to at least use caution when they give warnings.

I guess the next question would be, had it been Picard wanting to board the cube and Q warned him, WWPD?

WWSD? Probably punch Q in the face.

12. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Keep in mind that the Full Circle fleet has to send a ship to the AQ. The Chief engineer of Quirinal was badly hurt in the last novel, as and I remember it was said he was slated to return. When sending a ship back, they could take replacements aboard... like Icheb! :bolian:

Furthermore, with the fleet regularly splitting up, it's not a bad idea to have more than one Borg expert. Just in case.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  13. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

WWPD? :lol:

I think you need to reread Q and A from pages 185 - 193. This features a conversation between Picard, Admiral Janeway and Q. In general it says that what ever a Q tells you to do, you do the opposite.

To quote Picard speaking to Q (page 190) "If you are that insistent that we not beam down to the planet, then I feel the best course of action we can take is to beam down post haste."

Q even collaborates this action (calling it reverse psychology) on page 223.

14. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I now see why everyone gushes so much about Kirsten's Voyager novels. I'd finally reached the point in the reading order to start Full Circle. I took a break to read some non-Trek and non-sci-fi fiction for a bit before starting but, having just wrapped up Full Circle and Unworthy and just a couple of chapters into Children of the Storm, I must say that I've loved them. They are definitely some of the best TrekLit I've read since Vanguard and the Destiny trilogy. I should finish up in plenty of time to start Eternal Tide when it comes out and I am definitely looking forward to it. Like everyone else, I'm really looking forward to seeing the story and mission continue and evolve.

- Byron

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

16. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll open the review thread within the next couple of hours, btw.

17. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I've just been advised that my copy has arrived in Sydney, Australia and is awaiting collection from Galaxy Bookshop!

19. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

I'm gonna check in my local shops today. Can't hurt....

20. Forevertj

Forevertj Ensign Newbie

As I correctly said, Janeway MUST return. It had to happen. It has happened. I am so glad I was proven right. Now Voyager means something again for the first time in years.

This is a happy day.