Enterprise-D 1:1 Scale model, with decks, in Sketchup

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by halkun, May 11, 2009.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

you mean besides deck 1 being wrong?

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't yet understand why the Whitefire rendering of Deck 1 is any more or less "correct" than Sternbach's.

3. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because one is right the other is wrong. Neither are perfect. If deck 1 has such an error already, what other things could be wrong.

4. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

You substantiate your claim by restating your claim? Fascinating.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yes, but the question is WHY is it wrong?

6. halkun

halkun Ensign Red Shirt

There is nothing wrong with the plans. The problem is I modeled the bridge first before I standardized the ceiling heights. I could tweak the edges and remodel a space around the bridge proper, but I will probably just stick a window over the hole I cut. The galaxies are all supposed to have modular bridges and so if anything. call it my "Take" on the bridge.

In the end, it's just a pretend spaceship and I could give it a coat of fur if I really wanted. There is nothing "wrong" with anything when you are playing with your imagination.

7. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

The way I always thought it was was that you had the Bridge module then a lowered deck 1 and then into deck 2 and so on. The corridors leading from the Breifing room would slope down into the lower section and the corridor at the front would slope down into deck 2.

You can see here on a pic of a model that I've got on my computer how it looks:

[​IMG]

8. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

Interesting project!
    Is that Enterprise-D decks available at Google, your creation?

9. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey... How come I didn't notice this one from the beginning! *grumbles*

This is a great project, I haven't ever thought of using the layer function to make sure SU wouldn't cause an epic meltdown of my computer when making the entire interior of my Hayden. Perhaps I'll try it again with layers enabled. And then to think... that's only six decks :P

One piece of advise, though, would be to use components for the corridors, if you decide to model the entire ship, corridors and all the rooms included. Using components as rooms makes your job a lot easier as well :) It would also be wise to add lights from the SU2KT pack to the corridors and rooms if you decide to render it in Kerkythea. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread ^_^

10. halkun

halkun Ensign Red Shirt

I was thinking about using corridor segemnts but it shot the polycount though the roof. Also, its bad enough to make simple curves with 100 vertex points much less align thousands of corridor section on a curve. I'm happy with my "abstraction"

11. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, that's right. This would alow for the ready room window too.

12. Jordinskies

Jordinskies Cadet Newbie

Halkun your plans look really good, thanks so much for sharing them. I was wondering if you could help me with something, I'm building a room in my house to recreate the Enterprise D captains ready room and was wondering if you could tell me all the exact dimensions so i can transfer it to a sketchup model of the room, and have an acurate floor plan?

13. sojourner

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!! RUN!!!!!

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay... this is just amazing.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to do this. You know, map the entirety of the Galaxy class. This is pioneering Trek fan craziness.

halkun, my hats off to you and please don't let any other "cooks" spoil the broth: as incredibly well laid out as the ENT-D is, there have always been some design oddities about it and if you can bend the rules a bit to complete this project by all means you should do so. It was a herculean task to prepare this massive monster for a TV series and the fact that blueprints were designed in the first place is something miraculous.

There are features of the ship that I've always wanted to see rendered: The aquarium... the whole of the main shuttlebay, the entrance to the Captains' yacht, etc. etc. and the list goes on and on.

Are you planning to include the Jefferies tubes? They might be a headache. I can't even remember if they were in the published blueprints. The turboshafts look mind blowing. It's truly a feat of design, something so large and it doesn't surprise me at all that the "published" dimensions are nearly half the "real" measurements.

Finish this project and you will be forever heralded as a TNG hero. 15 years (ish) ago when I spent heaps of my allowance to score a copy of the Simon and Schuster Interactive Technical Manual I've dreamed of this kind of Galaxy class rendering. Of course, as cool as it looked it did not deliver on the promise to walk around the entirety of the Enterprise-D!

When finished, do you plan to release the file as creative commons so that the rest of us can play on your ship? :D

Godspeed!

15. sojourner

You do know Halkun hasn't posted more than 10 posts and not in nearly a year?

16. ALF

I certainly realize it now! :eek:

He must be all the way to deck 42! :techman:

17. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I don't exactly know what you're doing here... You state the published dimensions are 840m, and "real world" dimensions are over 1000m... Neither are correct... And when someone questions your 840m statement, you respond that it's the "real world" dimensions...

I'm all for a cool model but you're really going nuts fudging the numbers here.
    arg... See? This is what happens when I respond to stuff at 430 in the morning.

Now for the positive. I commend your desire to build this ship. Even at her real length, it's a hell of a lot of work. Hell, a Constitution ship is massive enough of an undertaking. We don't see enough of this ship here...

18. sojourner

I am amazed how people keep stumbling into this thread and posting without noticing the OP seems to have gone the way of the Dodo.

19. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Well I can't speak for everyone else, but I was up at 0400 and worked a 12 shift the day before...
    That or I'm just not observant...

20. ALF

^^ Yeah, I was blinded by the awesomeness of the screencaps.