(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Changing between this and what?

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

At times I couldn't bare to watch so I had to flick the channel for a minute or two in the 2nd half. Man Utd let Barcelona have a little too much of the ball for my heart to take :evil:

3. Servo

Nah, even at the worst moments, there was no way I was taking my eyes off that game, even if it did bring me one step closer to a heart attack. :D

4. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched the game in its entirety. The 2nd half was pretty crap. I mean Messi with all his fancy dribbling couldn't really do anything to change the flow of the game. Barca had no bite in their attack. All of their ventures into the box were snuffed out by the United defense.

5. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Congrats to ManU - about time there was an all English final.

Anyone want to take bets on Risse scoring a hat trick tomorrow, 2 with his left and one with his right for good measure?

6. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Just as long as he doesn't get his head near the ball. ;)

7. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nicely taken by Scholes. Once United settled into the game after the goal, Barca rarely looked to score. Good performance. UEFA worst nightmare comes true, an all English final.

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Supposed they'd better get used to it, I doubt it'll be the last.

Delighted to be proven wrong last night, I thought Barcelona would score.

I think a Liverpool Vs Man Utd final would probably be a better game, but I suspect it'll be Chelsea.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Until Riise decided to become a pub player, Liverpool had the tie all but wrapped up. My better judgement says Chelsea will win but I am still going for Liverpool to have another great EURO night and beat Chelsea.

Also I agree that a MAN UTD/LIVERPOOL Final would be fantastic.

10. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

And Chelsea advances on a 4-3 aggregate after beating Liverpool 3-2 in extra time.

11. Daedalus12

Ole! Ole! Ole! Finally a Chelsea-Liverpool semifinal game that is not mind numblingly dull. What a great OT that was. My heart started skipping when Babel put that 40 yard screamer past Cech. I thought Liverpool was mounting another 5 minute in Istanbul.

12. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Chelsea were the better team over the two legs, yet Liverpool still could've snuck in had they not made a few mistakes, namely Hyypia's boneheaded tackle that led to the penalty.

I sincerely hope Man Utd and Chelsea don't cancel each other out in Moscow. Another game like today would be perfect.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Avram Grant sadly will think he's good but I've noticed in all his major games that he's won or drawn have been down to luck...

(PL) Arsenal - penatly.

(PL) Man Utd - Penalty

(CL) Liverpool - Own Goal and Penalty.

Chelsea did deserve to go through just over the two legs but Grant is still not good enough for Chelsea but I think they will most likely defeat Man Utd in the final because Utd can't seem to find a way to break Chelsea down.

I hope for a Utd win because I think Scholes deserves it in his career but I think Chelski might sneak it.

14. Daedalus12

15. Servo

I think Liverpool would have been harder to beat in a Champions League final than Chelsea will be. I'm pretty confident that United can win it.

16. Daedalus12

Nah I think currently United has Liverpool's numbers. In the last 8 premier league games against Liverpool United has 7 wins and 1 draw. In fact Liverpool has only scored 1 goal in those 8 games. Against Chelsea however United's record is pretty shoddy only 2 wins, 2 draws but 4 losses while giving up 10 goals.

Just looking at this year United has lost to Chelsea while beaten Liverpool handily twice in the league.

17. Servo

In the Premiership yes, but I'm talking about in Europe. In the last few seasons, Liverpool have been a much stronger side in Europe than they have in the PL. For whatever reason that may be, I'm glad we're not facing them in the final. Not that I'm saying Chelsea will be a walkover, but I think playing Liverpool would have been a lot tougher.

18. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I don't think Liverpool can beat Manchester United right now, regardless of the competition. I just think Man U have their number.

Chelsea on the other hand are a problem. As much as I hate to admit it, nobody knows how to deal with Ronaldo better than C**t Hole Cole.

I don't believe this - Zenit St. Petersburg are beating Bayern Munich, who I had down as absolute 100% nailed on favourites to win the UEFA Cup, 4-0.

19. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Have to agree, Liverpool in Europe are a different prospect to what they are in the Premier League. That being said, I still think that it'll be Chelsea who will give United the harder game.

Over the two legs, I didn't think that there was much in it. It could have gone either way to be honest. Liverpool looked the better, and most likely team once they'd equalised. As the commentator said, the best thing to happen for Chelsea was the final whistle. They were a different team again when they went into extra time, albeit they were helped considerably by Liverpool.

Re: Grant, it'll be interesting to see what Abramovich does if Chelsea win the Champions League. Would he really sack someone for winning the European Cup? I'm not entirely sure who they'd replace him with anyway. Hiddink has stated his reluctance to return to club football. Klinsmann perhaps? Would he move from the States? Would they go for Rijkaard who's more than likely out of a job in the summer? Could it even be Sven?

Re: Flamini, just the type of player that Milan need really.

Surprising, and funny at the same time! :lol:

20. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Very funny, I enjoy watching that game immensely. :D