Fox Developing "Gotham" Young Jim Gordon Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because Gordon is a character we've never seen or even heard of?

2. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Chris Sims wrote an article about this over at Comics Alliance and I agree with much of what he says. He also suggests that there's a far more interesting supporting character to explore in an origin show - Alfred.

3. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh god.

He's not going to grow the stache until the final episode 10 years upstream.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Some might remember him as a young Bruce Wayne in the DTV "Batman Year One"

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h21M8y9VjsY[/YT]

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Tweet from McKenzie:

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So Batman is playing Gordon? I don't think that's happened before. Although we have had incarnations of Jim Gordon played by Lex Luthor (Lyle Talbot, Batman and Robin 1949 and Atom Man vs. Superman 1950), Perry White (Ted Knight, '60s Filmation cartoons -- also the Flash for Super Friends), Superboy (Bob Hastings, '60s Filmation and B:TAS), Superman (Danny Dark, Challenge of the SuperFriends), the Spectre (Gary Cole, Under the Red Hood and DC Showcase), and Kanjar Ro (Kurtwood Smith, Green Lantern: First Flight and Beware the Batman -- also Agent Bennet in Batman Beyond/The Zeta Project).

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

McKenzie made a really good rookie cop in Southland and was very good in Year One. My initial scepticism about this project is fading.

Now, if Ben can be Batman in YO and then Gordon in this, I think Bryan Cranston can be Gordon in YO and in the next live-action Batman film.

9. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am the hardest of hardcore Bat-fans and I cannot express how much I don't care about this series.

At least Smallville was an honest-to-goodness genre show. This is a cop show pretending to be part of the Batman mythos. It won't deliver enough to satisfy fanboys like me, and the mainstream audience (who won't notice or care if they name-drop Edward Nygma or Harleen Quinzell) will see it for what it really is: A dime-a-dozen, cookie-cutter cop show.

A few weeks ago, on Kevin Smith's "Fatman On Batman" podcast, Smith and Paul Dini laid out an idea for a Batman prequel series that would be AWESOME. Too bad it'll never happen.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He seems like a good actor, so I'm not to worried.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Wouldn't many of Batman's villains be about the same age he is? Do we really need to see a 10 year old Eddie Nigma?

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It looks like this take on Batman will have many of his villains be at least 10-15 years older than he is with the usual sequence of Batman emerging and then the villains following flipped around.

13. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Have they cast Joe Chill? :p

14. Christopher

Since it is, of course, an alternate reality from the comics, they are free to reinvent the characters however they wish. Henri Ducard and Ra's al Ghul were two separate people in the comics, but that didn't stop Nolan from combining them.

And really, I don't see any reason why someone like Riddler or Penguin or the Mad Hatter couldn't be 10-20 years older than Batman.

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wonder how Barbara Gordon will figure into this.

16. Christopher

Do you mean the Barbara who was Jim's first wife in Year One? Since I doubt the future Batgirl would be much more than a toddler at this point.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Ben McKenzie was my hope for Matt Murdock, so I'm slightly disappointed in this. I think he'll do a fine job, I'm just not sold on the series as a whole.

18. Agent Richard07

I was thinking of Batgirl Barbara. She's a good character but they couldn't use her because she'd either be too young or not born yet. I suppose they could make her more of a precocious young girl like Penny from Inspector Gadget if they wanted to though.

They could do something similar with Dick Grayson. I was wondering about him too.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I would think Batman has to predate Batgirl

20. Agent Richard07

^ He still could. Both would be in their pre-Batman and pre-Batgirl roles respectively.

The Barbara Gordon thing was just a thought. It'd be a shame to have a Jim Gordon series and not have "Batgirl" there in some capacity. I don't know how much they can compress the age differences or what plans they have for the show but Smallville managed to include a lot of elements from the Superman mythos despite being about Clark's younger years.