DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It was good artwise and decent storywise. I think the loss of the previous artist and the editorial backseat writing really hurt the current run.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I have no interest in New 52 Supergirl. I liked the late 2000s version.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do like Kara's 52'Verse costume, but I do miss the pre-relaunch version.

4. Admiral_Young

"Damian: Son of Batman" has been incredibly disappointing thus far. Mostly because of Kubert's writing. I'm seriously contemplating dropping this even at the midway point.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Aquaman #25 - Johns wrapped up things on the title in stellar fashion I thought. I don't fully believe the Dead King is 'dead' and gone for good. I do feel that Johns has left ideas to picked up as the title teases another entanglement with the Justice League with the coming of the War of the Seven Seas. It looks if nothing else they have structured it so that Parkers new creative team hits the ground running with what seems a fluid transition out of Johns run. Hoping so as the title as been consistently one of the best since the nu52 launch.

Justice League Dark #25 - I've been considering dropping this but saw Swamp Thing was involved and got it. I must confess I'm not sure who this Nightmare Nurse is. Constantine alludes she's gone by different names, is she a reworked character I might know or totally knew altogether and John's line could be fodder for flashbacks at some point? I was also intrigued by the one page, 5 panel showing during one of the spell castings of an apparent Aquaman doppleganger rising out of the ocean. Could this be the 'Dead King' reborn. Fresh on my mind since I read these back-to-back. Also, since when are Question, Phantom Stranger and Pandora "better known" as the "Trinity of Sin". Are those recent developments? I'm not fully following the Villains Month saga. It seems the unknown Aquaman-esque entitiy will be in play next month as issue #26 is called "The Haunted Sea".

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the genetically identical Supergirl met Powergirl from Earth II and Supergirl's magic robot house went insane because clones are illegal on krypton and tried to kill "the clone"... That was a high point.

Been shit before, and been shit after.

7. Admiral_Young

Aquaman #25 was excellent, a stellar grand finale from Geoff Johns. This book has been an example of Johns at his very best, when he's passionate about characters and focused on something. The epilogue with Orm was most interesting...I'm still willing to give Parker's run a chance, but Johns will be missed on this book.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm getting a feeling the new Earth 2 Batman might be a former Robin, especially after the scene with the Joker in the latest issue. Jason seems likely, but Dick would be a sort of nod the Earth 2 Robin from the Silver Age.

9. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's never really caught my attentions before, but Greg Pak might be THE Post Flashpoint Superman scribe. Lots of fun with both Batman/Superman and Action Comics this week.

10. Admiral_Young

Pak is doing tremendous work right now.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Just read Action Comics #26 and really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next issue. Aquaman #25 was a great issue too. Not only was the story good but the art and colouring were just amazing. I'll kinda miss the beard though. I thought it suited him, particularly the way Pelletier draws him.

Edited to add: I was just about to read Batman/Superman and noticed the art is sideways again. I'm not a fan. It's ok for the occasional double-page splash but a whole book is a bit annoying. For me anyways.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  12. Captain Craig

His Eternal Warrior over at VALIANT is wrapping up it's first arc next week and that has been a solid start with Gilad's return to monthly status.

13. Admiral_Young

I just read Action Comics #26 and absolutely am in love with Pak's run right now...and Aaron Kruder's artwork is beautiful. Almost Quitely/Burnham like. Fits the book perfectly IMO. Also love New 52 Lana.

14. Hound of UIster

He has done some wonderful work with Hulk and Hercules (with Van Lent) at Marvel.

15. Captain Craig

Swamp Thing #26 - Jason Woodrue is now the Avatar of the Green and the first thing he does is pick a fight with the Red's Avatar...and loses. Alec narrates it and maybe I'm reading into it but it seems when Alec re-emphasis the fact that "old" Avatars, such as he is now, tap into the greater knowledge of all Avatars and the Green plus can see somewhat into the limited future of the current Green I'm thinking Alec will use that as a means to wrest control from Jason.

I'm enjoying this title more and more.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What were the Guardians smoking when they made him the next step in human evolution?

17. Admiral_Young

18. Hound of UIster

So two weeklies?

This is going to be difficult art-wise. 52 and Countdown suffered heavily from problems on the art side. I think Generation Lost/Brightest Day proved you could do it by dividing the project into two sides.

19. Admiral_Young

Yeah...it should be interesting to see how the second one does. I don't doubt that Batman Eternal will be okay. Pretty good creative team though on Future's End.

20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i like the fact that Nightwing is getting some spotlight due to Forever Evil...but it kinda irritates me that his own title has nothing to do with Forever Evil.