Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The issue with this reboot is just that, back to revisiting the same foes? Let's hope not. As Digific says lets mix it up. I feel we are getting Lizard mainly cause he was essentially sold to us in the Raimi films. Almost as if Sony conceded to let that be a major drawing point from the prior series.

If we were operating within the already defined universe then Hobgoblin would be a natural villain to appear. As it is now you have to go back and do Green first and you don't want goblins in back-to-back films. Visual stagnation, lack of creativity and other such complaints would happen and have some truth.

Mysterio
    Miles Warren/Jackel
    Vulture
    Shocker
    Chamelon
    Kraven(international flare)
    Man-Wolf(groundwork laid in Spidey2)
    Carnage(groundwork laid in Spidey3-same goblin issue as here)
    Tombstone
    Tarantula(international flare)

Line straddlers
    Black Cat
    Paladin
    Silver Sable

The crowd at The Avengers midnight really seemed largely indifferent to the trailer.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah... the new trailer... It was ok. But there was something missing... or maybe because it felt familiar... but it doesn't make me excited to plop down 12 bucks.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get why you think they can't do Hobgoblin without first doing Green Goblin. Would you care to explain?

After I posted with my villain ideas, I thought about Silver Sable as a possible villain, and think she could fit very well into a 'Man-Spider' story arc given that she's a merc and could be hired by somebody to kill the Man-Spider while also having her own agenda.

Here's some more characters I'd like to see used as villains/antagonists:
    Allistair Smythe
    Silvermane
    Morbius

4. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see different villains (I've been wanting Mysterio to be done for years) but I'm not sure this stretch of films is going to push the boat out. It's just the vibe I get from the trailer.

I get the impression that Gwen knows that Peter is Spider-Man, which leads me to think eventually she'll get killed off. Seeing as Oscorp plays a part in this film and in the comics it was a confrontation with the Green Goblin which led to her death (and if they recreated that comic panel to screen it would be WAY to much like SM1) so it's natural to assume that would happen.

Then, given that this film is darker in tone, Venom would be logical (especially if it follows on from Peter having major doubts about himself after Gwen's death).

Not saying that's necessarily what I'd prefer or what I'd do given the choice, it's just a wild assumption.

5. Captain Craig

If they intend to remain remotely loyal to the source then Hobby has to come second. It'd be like having Carnage before Venom, one begets the other.

The original Hobgoblin and the current both found stashed Norman gear in a hideout and modified it into Hobgoblin gear. The second Hobgoblin stole the equipment after it had been already turned into Hobby attire. Also, having Hobby first makes it seem as if Normans reason for taking the identity isn't related to his own psyche which is necessary.

So unless Sony intends to spit on the source material and motivations of the characters then Green Goblin has to happen first. But hey this is the same culture of "suits" that forced Venom into an established script. The same culture of suits who insisted in the once and never Raimi directed Spidey 4 that classic Lee/Ditko foe the Vulture become the Vultress. So maybe they are prepared to hock some thick, foamy luggies on the source material indeed.

6. DigificWriter

^ Ok. Hobgoblin HAS been introduced first in the past, though... back in the 1994 Spider-Man cartoon, which is, incidentally, how I'm most familiar with the character.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I thought it was pretty stupid how the cartoon handled it.

8. DigificWriter

^ To each their own. :)

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Anyone noticed how all the action scenes in the trailers have seemed to take place during the night? Raimi had nearly all the action scenes during the day. Let's hope Webb isn't trying to make the Spider-Man franchise more dark and grim like Nolan with Batman. :wtf: :crazy:

10. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Webb? That seems appropriate! And I think it's been established that's exactly what he's doing.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Damn, why is he trying to turn Spider-Man into Batman? :p

12. Captain Craig

And Carnage just sucks out your bio-electric energy also.
    Cartoon.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i'd like to see a movie with the Tinkerer and him creating the equipment for a buncha second-rate Spidey villains like Beetle, Vulture, Scorpion and so on and Pete just stumbles into his vendetta with Roxxon and then Tinkerer unleashes Spider-slayers.

yes, that is cribbed/copied/altered from Ultimate.

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

The voiceover in the trailer makes it sound like the origin story is told in flashback from the perspective of an older and experienced Spidey. I may be reading too far into things though. Anyone else?

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Also Spider-Man is not allowed to punch anyone EVER. :lol:

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think he's taking it quite that far, it's just darker and not quite as comic booky as Raimi's movies.

17. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  18. Captain Craig

The images aren't showing up for me, anyone else?

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I thought it was just my computer.

In other words, no. I can't see them either.

20. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

So it wasn't just me! :lol: