Question about writing

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Balok's Head, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok, I have an interest in writing but find that some guidance would be very helpful from an accomplished Trek author.

My question, Is there some outlet that writers’ can use to get their work looked over by someone who has been in the game for a time? Or is this simply not done?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bob Greenberger

Bob Greenberger Writer Red Shirt

Most writers belong to writers' groups or have a circle of friends they use as "beta readers". It's a trusted group of people, usually professional writers and editors or related fields, who can be critical without being cruel to help the writing be the best it can be. I don't know of any organization that does this and you probably don't want to share your work with strangers at that stage of the process.

3. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

The Trek Fanfic forum?

4. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ While that may be a place to look for beta readers, any material posted in the forum itself is considered published in the public domain and no professional publisher is going to want anything to do with the text. (Which you probably already know, but just in case...)

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

5. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for the replies, I thought so.

I'm writing a little something now, and would love to see it in print one day. Who knows eh ;)