The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking of, IMO neither actor played a convincing drunk.

I'll admit I had a :wtf: moment when Beth took her second drink from the moonshine, she would have still been rolling around the floor from the first drink and by her 3rd or 4th passed out completely.

2. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually liked last night's episode. For me, it was full of tension as I was afraid Beth wouldn't make it all the way through. She's obviously one of the least-safe main characters on the show, so you can't take her continued survival for granted.

Bothered me too. There is no way someone who has never had alcohol before would react that way to moonshine. Not to mention playing drinking games with it, let alone still being able to speak the english language.

Oh yeah, and she probably did that drinking on a mostly empty stomach too, which certainly wouldn't help matters, as many of us can probably attest to personally.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's the make up departments job to make them look bloodshot and shiny, which they didn't.

Meanwhile the director/writers decided that no one was slurring their words or making malapropisms or spoonerisms.

If they are not hung over, then Darryl tricked her and it wasn't moonshine, or even alcoholic.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Eh, thought the episode was ok, but back half of this season does seem to be dragging a bit at this point. Group is broken into too many pieces, and going to be all season before we touch on anyone from the first episodes again at this rate. Really going to spend a whole half-season just touching in with 6 different groups briefly, and then setting them all on the road to terminus, where they can meet up for 10 seconds before we get the view of that camp to close it out? Pretty disappointing plot outline IMO. And the way this has been working, whenever they come up with something interesting, we leave that group for too long and go focus on someone else, no payoff week to week.

When you look at how much they did with the first 6 episodes of the series, stands out pretty sharply to how much we've started to stretch this thing out. Everyone's on their own and taking a little time to absorb what happened and realize they are better off in a group than alone; I got it. Back to telling a story vice wandering the woods in groups of 2 or 3. More interesting than literally sitting around doing nothing at the farm, but it's pretty close to that point.

Burning their shelter down in the middle of the night was retarded. Heavy-handed writing at best, we GET he's letting go, but maybe do it in the morning when you're a little more safe? Getting drunk while outside the safety of, say, a prison wall, is pretty dumb in a ZA. Passed out or numbed reflexes doesn't lead to a healthy long life. And having both people get drunk is even more foolish.

Only shock of this entire episode was that Beth didn't take the final step and make a move on Daryl. Was fully expecting that to happen, especially by the time she got to playing "never have I ever..." or telling him she's a grown woman now and he'll miss her when she's gone. She went right to the edge, and just didn't lean in as expected. Other than that, felt pretty expected/retread.

Golf course was kinda nice just from the aspect of getting characters out of the familiar set and out exploring again. Shows us a little more of the world that's gone, which was appreciated.

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked that they moved into a different setting. What was bizarre IMO were the scenes of an obvious attempt to have some rich v. poor zombie battle that occurred. What was with the, "Rich Bitch," sign on that woman? Also, why was Daryl taking valuables at the country club only to burn a stack of money - another over the top metaphor - at the very end?

In a ZA I'd think a fight between the 1% and the rest of us would be the last thing on anyone's mind which made whatever message they were trying to send seem ridiculous.

6. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Something interesting definitely happened in that country club - I assume the dead bodies on the floor were gunshot suicides. I've already forgotten what was scrawled on the wall "dog-something?" but it was suitably mysterious.

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The only thing I can imagine is that Daryl thought the money makes good kindling.

8. DarthTom

The three zombies hanging on a noose was another odd and unexplained scene in last night's episode.

TWD to some degree is suffering from what I'll call the Lost In Space funk. TWD pilot as was the first few episodes - brilliant. By season two it was less exciting and by this season it's becoming kind of dull IMO. The Lost in Space pilot was also very good however by season 3 of Lost in Space the Robinson family adventure was diminished to this:

And by the 4th season of Walking Dead we have Beth searching for a glass of alcohol as virtually the entire plot of an episode. I'm worried they are running out of good story arcs and/or need some new blood within the writers circle for the show.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  9. Corran Horn

yeah, I wonder if it was suicide or punishment.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Took that plus the rich bitch thing as sorta a 'workers vs. country club snobs' once the ZA broke and they were huddled together. Assume the workers there were treated like the hired help even after the money no longer mattered, and they struck back. Before losing to the zombies themselves, of course...

Darryl with the money earlier on was just part of the same heavy-handed 'letting go' message they were beating us with. Earlier on, we're still seeing part of 'old darryl' who's gotta grab the money when he sees it. By the end, he's let go of the old self, realized it's a new world and he can be who he wants to be/who he's become, and lights the money on fire/burns down his old world. Maybe I'm seeing too much there, but seemed pretty straight-forward to me. Grabbing the cash, trying to open the register, etc.

11. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It was inferred that some people had holed up there for safety and at some point it splintered into rich(country club members) vs poor(the workers) with the poor winning. As soon as they started killing and the dead came back, so went the rest of them.

12. DarthTom

Well the odd part and if you ask me the sloppy bad writing part of that message seemed completely out of character with the Daryl we've seen after Merle dies. All of the sudden Daryl regresses to being a thief again?

13. Corran Horn

Now that'd have been an interesting episode. (w/o the main cast, though)

14. PKerr

I thought the whole country club rich Vs. Poor thing was a reach, It's not like the whole ZA happened over night, they were bombing down town Atlanta for cripes sake, so instead of being at home with your family you are going to play golf and others are going to show up to carry your bags around?
    The thing that really got me was several of the walkers were still in their little golf outfits.

15. DarthTom

:lol: Good point. As if the golf caddies, waiters, chefs et al would still show up for work in the middle of a ZA. This is where the writers don't think the plot out well despite the best intentions. I'll accept that the cars still run and the gasoline is still good because I've suspended my disbelief that the dead can come back to life and don't rot very fast.

However, when within the story arc the story itself starts to not make sense - people golfing during a ZA as you point out - is when it becomes less interesting and outright illogical and stupid.

16. sojourner

Maybe we just found ground zero? Yeah, that's it! The zombie rising started at the retirement community next door (outside of camera shot) and the employees/members were trapped at the country club.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

[snob] Well, when you've been waiting for MONTHS to get a tee time, you aren't going to cancel just because of a minor zombie apocalypse, are you? I mean, sure they're firebombing Atlanta, but that's mostly minorities and poor people, so oh well... ;) [/snob]

18. DarthTom

:lol: Yea, some golfers are strange birds. I've seen them out on the green [actually brown grass] in 15 degree weather, in the middle of a rain storm and other odd times when most people would have passed on a hobby.

Doesn't explain why the worker bees would show for work though.

19. PKerr

Not looking good for team Daryl.

[​IMG]

20. sojourner

Was anyone else hoping for a Caddy shack reference/easter egg? Maybe a zombie made up to look like Bill Murray's character? Which would have been deliciously meta considering his spot in Zombieland.

Um, that's not Daryl.