In-Universe Explanation for TOS Retro Tech

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by BMariner, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I dunno if the "accordion" key are "impractial". It's just a touch keyboard layout like any other. In fact, Lee Cole said the based it on an accordion's keys, knowing it could be operated with one hand.

Below is from a different thread discussing the TMP bridge set from a while back.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I rather like the TMP/TWOK-style controls and screens, although I admit they now look just about as dated as those of TOS.

What's really weird is watching TNG and seeing how much their computer technology looks like what we have on our smartphones now. It probably won't be long before that looks just as dated as all the rest.

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I always saw it simply as them having such advanced Starfleet training that all they had to do was look at different combinations of lights on the screen, and they could immediately interpret and understand what they meant.

Kind of like a visual form of Braille or something. If the blind can somehow interpret and make sense of different arrangements of bumps on a wall, then surely the TOS crew could do something equally impressive with lights in the 23rd century.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think TNG looks more dated than the classic movies - my phone has a ton of animation and a fully reconfigurable screen, which is what the TNG technical manual said could be done on the Enterprise-D's control panels, but of course we never really saw it. LCARS comes across as a touchscreen DOS.

5. JJTrek4ever!

JJTrek4ever! Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not exactly. :)

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^True that, but I meant in sickbay.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well yes and no with modern cockpits.

Link to the A380 cockpit.

http://www.airbus.com/aircraftfamilies/passengeraircraft/a380family/commonality/

Sure it has lots of buttons and knobs but most of the displays are digital. Of course there are still a few analouge displays such as the back-up artifical horizon.

8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent point. That explains how fans should view TOS tech.

9. BMariner

BMariner Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Visual braille - I love it!

Gotta say, though, I think the advanced training to interpret the lights is a hurdle for me. I can't think of a reasonable way to argue that interpreting combinations of blinking lights is more efficient than a visual readout. It's like arguing that Morse code is a more efficient mode of communicating audio than voice.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  10. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

"Oh, cut the bleeding heart crap, will ya? We've all got our switches, lights, and knobs to deal with, Striker. I mean, down here, there are literally hundreds and thousands of blinking, beeping, and flashing lights -- blinking and beeping and flashing -- they're flashing and they're beeping -- I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! THEY'RE BLINKING AND BEEPING AND FLASHING! WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY PULL THE PLUG?!?!"

:rommie::rommie:

11. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of the best shatner moments ever for me.

12. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

Shatner does the absolute best Shatner impression :D

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

This is true now or during TOS?