Dating Range?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kestra, Feb 1, 2013.

?

What's your typical dating range?

1. - less than 5 years

20.3%
  2. - 5 years

34.4%
  3. - 10 years

29.7%
  4. - 15 years

3.1%
  5. - 20 years

1.6%
  6. + less than 5 years

14.1%
  7. + 5 years

25.0%
  8. + 10 years

25.0%
  9. + 15 years

10.9%
  10. + 20 years

3.1%
  11. None of the above/I like to be difficult.

14.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Join the club. Ex-wife came home after dropping her folks off at the airport when they visited us holiday time late '11. Said she was leaving out of the blue. Actually, she called and said she had filed for divorce a year ago today, which was a load of fun after watching my team poop themselves in the Super Bowl a few hours prior. We agreed to expedite things as much as possible, since the whole situation sucks, and were divorced by mid-April.

I was blindsided, felt like the biggest piece of shit in town. She had someone lined up before she even gave me the papers. It's like breaking up x100 plus all the legal shit involved.

Eventually, you just get to a part where you remember the good times, wonder what could have been, and gloss over the rest. It's been 15 months or so, and I finally feel like I could date someone again without the added baggage.

I had no idea how I would get through all of it, but am ready to meet a farmer's daughter or two when I move to the midwest in the coming weeks and get a new start on life.

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Be careful not to take on the local accent (moooooh) :D
    *ducks and runs*

3. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Ugh, that is the worst. I also like dating older women, but there is nothing like the immaturity of not being able to handle a boyfriend who is younger than you. And it seems to happen every time. They always seem to get hung up on that fact, instead of just ignoring it and having a good time.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My dating range when I dated was -10 to +15. A wide range for many I suppose. Of the last 5 women I dated, 3 of them were 22 (how'd I manage that) one was 29 and one was 33. I was 31 at the time. My longer relationships were always with women 10+ over my age. These days the range of women that express some interest in me while Im married seems to be wider than ever, from girls in their late teens to women in their 50s.

Am I the only one who thinks 30+ year old guys dating 18 years old is creepy?

RAMA

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I'm glad you're doing better and are in a place to move on. Best of luck with your move!

6. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh right... the MILF / Cougar phenomenon. How stupid of me. :vulcan:

7. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Why is this "phenomenon" a bad thing? Why would it be weird for a man to be into an older woman?

8. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoever said it was bad or weird? I was just talking about the tendency... :rolleyes:

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well like I said I've been guilty of that in reverse so I was ok with it

10. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm 39 right now. My ex-wife will be 31 in March, and my girlfriend just turned 26.

I guess I am a cradle robber!

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am currently 52, and my average range is a + or - 5 years.

12. rhubarbodendron

nice! You don't happen to live in my area? ;)

I think women tend to choose older men because at least in their first 3-4 decades men tend to be less mature than women of the same age. I prefer to have a partner who is at my level, emotionally and intellectually. Some young men are, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Also, contrary to young men, older men are more relaxed as far as sex is concerned. Young men tend to see it as a kind of athletic discipline (and oh the catastrophy when it doesn't work - there's the risk of a whole world shattering for the guy :p) while older men see it as fun and if it doesn't work it doesn't matter as long as both enjoy it. After all, nobody is perfect all the time.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Athletic discipline?! SIGN ME UP!!

Seriously, never across that.

14. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I voted -5 years. I've been married now for almost 19 years, but interestingly in all three serious relationships I've had, she has always been two years younger than me. Weird.

15. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm 45, and my last two boyfriends were both 18 years younger than me. The oldest person I've dated was something like 2 or 3 years older than me (it didn't last long, and although we're still friendly when we see each other, it's been at least a year, maybe two, since I last saw him). As has been noted above, I was the one who was the more concerned about the age difference in each case with my younger boyfriends (though my last bf did ask me not to volunteer my age when I was meeting his parents for the first time - I think he thought they would find it weird).

The thing for me is that I don't think of myself as 45. I'm not immature - I've held a series of jobs (both paid and volunteer) with a fair amount of responsibility, I've been married (my ex-husband is two years younger than me), and I own my home. (Well, the bank still owns about half of it. ;) ) I don't know if it's because I've always been told that I look younger than my age, or because I have a number of friends who are between 10 and 25 years younger than me, or what. (In fact, my last bf told me that he had no idea how old I was when we first met.) But mentally, I feel like I'm around 30. As a result, I'm not much interested in most guys around my age, and I'm certainly not interested in men who are older than me. I find them dull, for the most part, though there are a few exceptions - mostly people I know through fandom, which is probably because they also tend to be mentally younger than their years (yet not immature).

Does that make sense? I'm not even certain that I'm not just trying to justify liking younger men. ;)

Of course, it's all kind of irrelevant because I haven't even had a date since my last bf and I broke up, three years ago.

16. rhubarbodendron

It does make sense. I'm 48 and still feel like 23. When I look into a mirror I am always surprised at my real age (but fortunately I look a decade younger than I am which means at 90 I'll look like just 80 :D)

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I think most of us in Fandom have that spark of imagination and wonder that keeps us young at heart (although there are certainly exceptions), which no doubt helps to slow the physical aging process. :mallory:

18. rhubarbodendron

Or it is because of the cold: deep frozen meat stays fresh so much longer :D

19. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I chose, None of the Above/I like to be difficult.

Actually I think it depends on the person you're dating. I could see myself dating someone younger or older by a wide variety of age. It depends on the person and the level of attraction. Just to be clear, when I say attraction I don't mean purely physical attraction but rather the whole package.