Important/Popular Comic Stories Not in TPB

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Broccoli, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I was looking through the DC Comics wiki when I came across the entry for the Superman storyline "Fall of Metropolis". I read through the summary and, while I remember it when it came out, I never read story myself. Anyway, I was curious enough about it to see if I could get a trade for that storyline. Surprisingly, I couldn't find one, indicating that it was never "traded up."

This came as a surprise considering all the stuff that goes down in it, including the complete fall of Lex.

This got me thinking. What other storylines out there that have proven to be popular or important to the character that have never been collected together and you wish to see?

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I might be wrong on this but I tried to find on Amazon the "Brainiac Y2K Virus Turns Metropolis Into A Sci-Fi City" story and couldn't find it. There's also that entire circa 2000 Superman run by Ed McGuinness I would love to get but it's out of print and they cost like $40 each.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Not quite the same as never having been in trade, but Spider-Man: The Death of Jean DeWolff has been out of print for years. One of the most significant Spidey stories of the 1980s, and Peter David's first big splash in the comics world.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That's the Sin Eater storyline, right? I think I have that trade somewhere at home...

5. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's called Superman: Endgame, you can find it here.

6. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Miracleman. Most of Keith Giffen's Justice League run. Iirc his Legion run is also not collected, but I was never a big LoSH guy, so I haven't looked in a while.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ah I was looking for a wrong title. Thanks. Still, $20-40 bucks, grumble!

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are the legal battles over Miracleman settled now, where they could release TPBs?

As far as Justice League, the Giffen era is being collected in TPB, volume 4 came out in March in hardcover. So the issues through #30 have been collected.

I think only The Great Darkness Saga has been collected for Legion, but I am a fan of the "5 Years Later Legion" from the late 80's and early 90's and would love to see those collected. However, seeing as how DC is trying (again) to settle on one version of the Legion and Geoff Johns brought back the late 70's early 80's Legion, from a point before the 5YL Legion, I doubt DC would be willing to put out a TPB. It's a shame because they really were good stories and a unique take on the super-hero comic format.

9. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Sort a, [COLOR=#aabbcc]http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=21344[/COLOR] you have to scroll down till you see MARVELMAN/MIRACLEMAN. From what I understand Alan Moore can REMAKE his original work (sense he does OWN the work to the first 16 issues) but there will be new artist's working on this series so they can bypas all the ''rights'' issues with the original artists.

10. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spider-Man's Maximum Clonage? Perhaps not popular but important.

Batman's Knightfall: The Quest. I thought I saw it listed once, but I've never seen anything to confirm that. I would love to have all of that saga in TPB.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That would be the Bruce Wayne in England part of the story, right? I'm reading the novelization right now and that story is extremely lame.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually its that and what Valley was doing between defeating Bane and Bruce coming back.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought the Azrael part of the story was "Knightquest: The Crusade" and the Bruce part was "Knightquest: The Search"?

14. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Secret Wars II ?

15. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JLA : Incarnations. Superman/Batman : Generations 3. The Marvel storyline that storied up the years between the 1950's and the present, I think with a relative of T'Challa's as a member. The odds and ends pieces made to clean up the mess of The Clone Saga, like 101 Ways To End It, The Osborn History, and the Jackal's true connections to the High Evolutionary. Has the Midnight Sons ever been attempted in a collection?

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you're right. I read the novelization too and I thought it was interesting though I admit I would rather have the "Crusade" portion. I really liked Valley as Batman. But to complete the collection I would like the "Search" too.

17. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about that. Took 'em long enough.

18. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Yes, please! :techman: :techman: :techman:

19. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

The Grant/Breyfogle Batman run in Detective Comics - very little, or none at all, has been collected. I'm not sure how "important" their run was, but it was well-received at the time and still holds up now (I've begun to collect a few of the issues). They created characters such as Scarface and the Ventriloquist, Anarky, Ratcatcher and others who have endured over the years since.

Similarly, Peter Milligan had a shorter run in Batman and Detective Comics, with one-off stories that could only be described as weird but wonderful. His take on Batman divided opinion but again the reaction from the fans was largely positive. His work deserves to be collected.

It seems like every Batman story is released in TPB nowadays, so I think DC should give these stories a new release - they deserve to be re-discovered.

20. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it helps, Jay and Silent Bob's in Red Bank was the place where I was able to purchase the collected issues in one pack. Dunno if they have any more.