Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Playing the Defera Borg Invasion zone event reminded me a little of the start of Tabula Rasa, which isn't a bad thing.

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

I suggest that you read up on the skills and abilities options on the STO Wiki before creating your character. If you're just creating a fun character it doesn't matter though.

3. Rocketeer

I agree with you that the Tribble F2P is still rough around the edges. I've submitted a few trouble tickets. Also note that the DOFF Developement Tier advancement is still broken. Some male DOFFs have female names and vice-versa or a mixture of male and female names. Some of the weapons have the wrong name, picture or level listed for it.
    /

4. Rocketeer

DOFF System

My FED made RA5 using mainly xp from the DOFF assignments.

Recently started a KDF Engr. He made CM5 using the DOFF system. I wanted to see if he could make RA1 or higher without completing any missions. However, he accidently completed a mission by using the transportor.
    /

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

For all you mission content addicts.
    There is a new MUST PLAY foundry mission available.
    "City of the Polmar Ree"

I won`t go into details here, it plays better unspoiled.
    Let's just say it's from the guy who also made The Ramok Nor mission...

6. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Dev Blog #23 is now up!

It starts with a recap of what we already know (the early December push of the F2P build from Tribble to Holodeck), then continues its brief roadmap into February.

In short:

• Holiday event from mid-Dec into the new year
    • 2-year anniversary event on Feb 2
    • Dominion FE series starts early Feb!
    The Sao Paulo variant of the Defiant should come with the Dominion FE, as should the new Defiant interior pack. I'm looking forward to both, especially the latter.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

You know, I haven't played a single user-created mission. Any (besides these) that are worthwhile?

8. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quite a lot, actually. Anything from Captain_Revo is gold. If you're german, I'd strongly recommend missions from Thaxx.

Generally, the user ratings are reliable indicators of quality.

9. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ouch, that's gonna start a few forest fires I feel.

10. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw the review of that on STOked this week. I need to check it out.

I'm looking forward to the Sao Paulo and Defiant interiors too.

On the subject of content, I don't think that we've had as much of a non-C-Store content drought as people are making out (especially on the STO forums). Yes we haven't had any full missions, but there have been things released that are available to everyone (e.g. The Borg Encounters) and December will see a whole load of content coming across from Tribble, like the Doff system, Academy Game,Borg Invasion zone, etc.

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I just started that one.

12. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Not a fan of most of the events... they are designed to gate us into specific activities at certain times.
    What's the point of doing that to crafting where absolutely no team play is involved and everybody should play on his/her own time table.

Well, as usual those changes don't affect me in the slightest, because I refuse to be told when to do what...
    If an event is on that matches what I am doing, or I have nothing better to do anyway, fine, but I won't go out of my way to do them.

Not sure about the CE event... that will only end in frustration if the entity itself is not changed to be beatable with noobs on the map.

Where's Sulu?

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually the question is "Where's Winters?"

well the crafting compromise has gone live so any thoughts on it?

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Sulu is still a Captain, so he didn't get demoted, just reassigned. From what he says about Winters, it sounds like Winters has taken the First Officer position on the Enterprise-F.

16. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

Just out of curiosity as someone whose been sort of watching how this game's been developing, but not been actually able to play it, would you suggest waiting till the game turns F2P before giving it a shot, or is there still a 30 day free trial deal available? Money's not an issue, so if I was to try it now and decided I liked it, I could go subscription/lifetime after the trial is up.

17. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Personally, if I was starting out, I'd buy the game (it's now down to almost nothing if you look around, maybe $5?) and it'll come with the 30 day free play. F2P is Jan 17th, I believe, so maybe wait a few weeks and time it so you start in mid-December, and it rolls right in. Or, if you know you're not going to play much around xmas/early January, start now and let the account take a brief hiatus before it goes F2P and you can play again.

I don't think I'd start paying $15/month right before it goes free, not sure there's an advantage there. Also, if you got a free month for buying the game, and bought a month, you're already paying for part of the F2P period anyway, so I'd try and pick a date that uses the 30 free days as best I could.

Unless they change the reward structure in such a way as to limit the Silver (free) members more, or reward the Gold (paying and Lifetime) members more, absolutely no reason to give Cryptic $299. They've been kinda ignoring the LTS members in favor of trying to micro-transaction new players to death, so don't think you'd get your money's worth. I'd also wait to see how reaction to the revamp goes. STO has been on a negative slide for the past 8-9 months while they've focused on F2P, so not exactly a happy, stable fanbase right now. If the changes they've put in go over poorly, not sure how long before the game withers. Plus, at $299, that's about 20 months of paying $15/month. Even longer if you buy it in 3, 6, or 12 month chunks that give you a cheaper per-month rate. Right now, I'm not sure I'd gamble that this game will still be around, fun, and active 2 years from now. Buy it in smaller chunks, you can get off the ride when it stops being fun or it gets quiet (also can take months off). Buy it all in a LTS, you're gambling that the game will still be great and active in 2 years, and you'll still want to play regularly. Your call, I guess, but coming in 2 years after launch, not sure I'd buy in for the long haul. At least buying at launch, you've got a better chance of at least breaking even...

18. SilentP

Thanks for the opinion. I'm guessing the difference in content available between Silver and Gold members isn't that dramatic then? I had a look at the features matrix on the official website, but I couldn't tell from a non-player perspective if those features were that much of a deal breaker.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Unless they change it more, doesn't appear to be a ton of difference. One of the things that the lifetime or monthly/yearly subscribers are complaining about. You're paying $15/month, and game-wise, not much difference. You mainly just get 400 cryptic points, but they appear to have also raised prices to devalue that a bit. You'd also qualify for Veteran rewards by subscribing, some of which are decent, but nothing earth-shattering.

Unless there's something in the matrix you can't live without, I'd play for free, and just buy cryptic points on occasion if there's something shiny you have to have...

20. SilentP

Thanks for confirming that for me. I'm in the process of downloading the game now. I'll do the 30 day trial and if it works out I'll continue with it when the F2P comes up, doubt I'll be able to play the game much over the late December period anyway, so the break won't be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.