So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I read most of the Dumarest series last year. I found "Toyman" hard to get through, but the fourth book, "Kalin", was outstanding and hooked me on the series. It's a pretty rewarding series if you stick with it. The biggest problem is E.C. Tubb's writing style. He was an author with a unique talent for taking a well-plotted, exciting story and telling it in a dull and unengaging fashion.

2. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Burn Notice: The Bad Beat the other day. I'm now reading Honor in the Night, the last story in Myriad Universes: Shattered Light.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read Burn Notice by Patricia Cornwell. Dated and Ultimately unsatisfying. I've actually read a few books later in the Scarpetta series, and this one was the worst I've read so far.

4. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Read (and reviewed) Gateways #1: One Small Step by Susan Wright. In word (almost): uugh. Not a fan, unfortunately. And I so loved The Best and the Brightest!

I've also just finished The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Terrific book about a teenage terminal cancer patient. I highly recommend it!

Now I'm reading Gateways #2: Chainmail by Diane Carey.

5. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    On my list to read:

*For Colored Girls...

*Atlas Shrugged

*Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula

*SW: Red Harvest

*SW: Allegiance

*SW: Choices of One

*SW: Death Troopers

*James Bond novels: Colonel Sun, Zero Minus Ten, Never Dream of Dying, or The Man with the Red Tattoo

*Farnham's Freehold

Of course, it depends on my mood which one I plan on reading...but they're in my realm of choices...

After those are done, I plan on reading some Octavia Butler, public domain Philip K. Dick, and some choice Robert Heinlein books...

6. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I recommend when you sit down to read Allegiance, plan on reading Choices of One back to back with it, you will be happy you did!

7. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In case anyone wants to join me for a (re)read: I'm planning to start David Mack's Harbinger tonight, my first time reading it, and to open a review thread for it once I get done (which might take a bit, also have work-related reading to do), as per the idea to cover older books from here.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just finished Satisfaction is not guaranteed by KRAD. Moved on to Olympus Descending by DRG3:)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  9. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just finished "Darth Plagueis," enjoyed it.

Starting Vanguard "What Judgments Come."

ncc71877:borg:

10. ravenlynne

ravenlynne Ensign Newbie

I'm doing a read by chronological publishing date based on wikipedia and memory alpha. Right now I'm on Vulcan! by kathleen Sky. I wonder about my fortitude for this goal since I just finished Spock! Messiah! and Pride of the Phoenix, two of the worst books that I have ever read. :rofl:

11. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good luck! I hope it goes well! I'm trying to read all of Pocket Books' Trek publications and blogging about it (link in my signature). However, I'm moving a little more haphazardly, kind of reading what interests me at the time. :)

12. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Finally finished the DS9 relaunch. Now reading the IKS Gorkon books before diving into the Destiny trilogy. The IKS books are definitely my fav Trek books yet.

13. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    :techman:

14. Keturah

Keturah Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm just over halfway through with Blind Man's Bluff right now. I'm sad to say I'm really disappointed so far. David is my favorite author, and I love NF, but no one in this book seems to be themselves, except for maybe Calhoun. So many characters are just off, the Doctor and Seven being the most salient examples. Unless there is a serious twist, I'm going to have to try to forget about it. :/

15. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I recently listened to the unabridged audios of Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents. Amazing, simply amazing. It's a damn shame Butler didn't live to complete this trilogy. What she finished is staggeringly good. Writing in the early '90's, Butler saw what America was turning into with a clarity that took my breath away. I deeply mourn her loss.

Parable of the Sower was read by Lynne Thigpen, who simply IS Olamina.The readers of Talents were OK, but unsatisfying after Thigpen's virtuosity.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I just finished a really interesting hard-SF space opera/sort-of-cyberpunk novel called Fool's War by Sarah Zettel. Here's my review. It's definitely got me interested in reading more of her SF.

17. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm about to start Greg Cox's The Rings of Time

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's out? Yippee!

19. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yep! I found it at Barnes & Noble yesterday.
    So far, I like it!

I am hoping it is explained how Shaun Christopher and Kirk just happens to be the pair that are exchanged. They both stumble across one or two probes seperated by centuries and light years, probes that seem to be linked to the preservers, that exchange their consciousnesses? It is nagging me that otherwise this is an extreme case of "Small Universe Syndrome"

20. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Honor in the Night, the last story in Myriad Universes: Shattered Light, last night. I'm about to start on Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within.