"Two Takes" Frakes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by 2takesfrakes, Apr 17, 2014.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now, let us Warp 10 around the Sun, as we go back in Time, to the beginning of TNG, in the Year of Our Lord 1987. And an interview that took place with "Two Takes" Frakes and Sir Patrick Stewart. Heat Shields up, at maximum ...

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8arqlL7fD8[/yt]

2. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Now that TNG has become a classic, the standard to which the other Trek series are compared, it seems funny to see the perceptions of its potential at the beginning of its run.

Thank you for sharing that interview with us, 2takesfrakes!

3. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, how about a shout-out for Frakes' performance as Xanatos on the fondly-remembered Disney series Gargoyles?

4. 2takesfrakes

That's right! And I don't believe that's his only voice over work, either.

Jonathan Frakes has hinted at, perhaps even directly stated, I'm not sure, that STAR TREK basically typecast him and made it harder for him to get parts. As Cyke101 mentioned in this very thread, though, STAR TREK also denied Frakes the opportunity of directing some really major event movies, even within the franchise, itself. And I find that to be very unfair. Actors directing movies they're starring in is not something many of them who've tried it have pulled off.

Kenneth Branagh comes to mind, as I am quite fond of Shakespeare and he's tried bringing a lot of that to the screen. Unfortunately, though, I am not fond of his Hamlet. However, his HENRY V is truly epic. And I would go so far as to say that Frakes reminds me of him, in terms of what he might've been capable of.

The way Frakes stages scenes, the care he takes in choosing some of the best cinematographers in the business and the fact that he knows how to relax people and really get solid performances out of his cast ... what he really should've done was try to go Independent. I don't know if he ever did. I don't doubt that if he lucked out having a really strong writer, Frakes would be a very bankable name. As it is, he's kept himself steadily employed on lesser projects and through the convention circuit and he continues to be a very loved celebrity. So ... he hasn't really done too badly for himself, I suspect ...

5. popcultureevil

popcultureevil Lieutenant

Never understood the two takes label. So Sir Patrick, Dorn, Sirtis, McFadden, Burton, Spiner or himself when in shot never messed up their lines? lol.. Based on some Youtube videos, seems they needed more than two takes often than not.

That said I think even the episodes directed by him and not the films are the amongst the best in quality, and that's no coincidence IMO. I think though as Picard was the "star" (it's an ensemble show but then to many the Captain is the main character), he's naturally become a global actor.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A good chunk of TV/film making also includes establishing shots, like shots for setting or panning or crowd shots, too. How many takes would you need to watch Geordi walk from the warp core to the center table in engineering, for example? Or a random shot behind Data and Ro typing away while looking at the viewscreen? Or even a computer panel that will be filled later on by the sfx crew? The ones with actual lines are, in their own way, trickier because then that's something that the director has less control over.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  7. 2takesfrakes

As it appears no one is watching the video I supplied in my original post on this matter, the bottom line is that Frakes' nickname refers to the necessity of printing out 2 takes, which he - apparently - was in need of remembering. Thus one of the producers dubbed him "Two Takes" Frakes so he wouldn't forget. Until I researched this, myself, I must confess that I, too, was under the impression that the nick referred to speed and efficiency in film making.

... I was wrong.

There. Did you good people ever expect me to say such a thing? :p $ave it, link to it, savour it ...

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And due to Disney's usual insistence upon basing their character designs on the actors doing the voices, Xanatos even looked like Frakes as well. :D

(In fact, loser confession time: I bought a Xanatos action figure specifically because it was, basically, a Jonathan Frakes action figure. Although I don't think Frakes ever rocked a ponytail quite like Xanatos though...)

9. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Shame! :lol:

10. 2takesfrakes

Whilst I adore Genie Francis - she's so sweet! - I kind of blame her, honestly, for letting Frakes slide on taking care of himself. For example, she could've surprised him with gift of Rogaine (Extra Strength), as he is getting thin up top. She also could've encouraged him - most strongly - to exercise in a Home Gym, perhaps. Or, at the very least, have him exercise in a heated Swimming Pool. It's hard to see all of THE NEXT GENERATION cast getting old - especially Gates and Marina. But to let oneself go, so completely, in an Industry that prizes Good Looks above all, doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Does Frakes have health concerns, does anybody know? Has this been a contributing factor in his declining appearance? Believe me, I don't even want to address it, but it's what's going on ...

11. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

He's probably old enough to not have time for all of that Hollywood nonsense. After spending all those years squeezing into the tight uniforms I'd be fed up with the diet!

12. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rogaine is sooo not worth it. A ton of money/time just to save a little hair. Plus the sexual side affects. If it's gonna go, it's gonna go, just ask Patrick Stewart. I'm sure they can just go shatner style with a riker wig if they want him to play the character again, or just let the character age as well.

I kinda like him better with the gut in seasons 3+ than his season 1 appearance.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Ah! I missed that one.

14. 2takesfrakes

And it can't be overstated, iether, just how much Jonathan Frakes has meant to the franchise, as a whole. Every series has called for at least one guest appearance by him. He has really been there for all of the fans of STAR TREK, regardless of what series they call their favourite. In a way, it could truly be said that Jonathan Frakes is all of STAR TREK in one package ...

[​IMG]

15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Too bad TNG didn't do a "Trials and Tribble-ations" type episode. He dould have been in every series then. Sort of.

16. 2takesfrakes

http://www.startrek.com/article/jonathan-frakes-directing-new-series

Everyone! Good News:
    Jonathan Frakes is back in the saddle, once again!

According to startrek.com, "Two Takes" is slated to direct at least 3 (three) episodes of "The Librarians," a new series based on "The Librarian" trilogy. Frakes directed the two entertaining sequels of that trilogy. So having him back onboard can only mean the chances of success forthis brand new series ... may have just doubled!

17. VORTEX8472

VORTEX8472 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh boy, Gargoyles, I totally loved that show, it was like a Star Trek Alumni clubhouse...

Frakes, Sirtis, Spiner, Dorn, Brooks, Burton, Mulgrew, Nichols to name a few, plus over a dozen Trek guest stars.