Glee - Season Four

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by mswood, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you spend you life watching reruns of Teen Mom 2 and And the real House Wives of Atlanta, then this would seem like quality programming for children coming down from the highs of watching American Idol.

I have a clear as crystal memory of watching the Muppet Show when I was three years old disappointed that they kept interrupting all the lovely singing with the tedious impassioned ultradrama going on behind stage at the Muppet Theatre.

We were all young and stupid once.

3. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was a pleasant surprise. Not that Fox has much else going for it these days.

4. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not really, nor even close.

IF you seriously read this and think the poster has legitimate points then you need to pay more attention to the show. Because pretty much wrong on every single count, with one exception.

For example, Becky has shown strength of character and empowerment by mimicking Sue, and when she has been cut off from Sue we see how vulnerable she actually is. It's also been shown concerning how she realizes the world see's her on at least 3 other episodes, including one the poster mentions and seems to forget those character fears were displayed for the audience to see. And its been shown that she uses her "sue" behavior to masks how she really feels. And its been done on more then one occasion.

The only legitimate point the poster makes here is why would she bring the gun to school. That's the one place Becky does manage to thrive (for the most part), its outside the school that terrifies her.

Poster found the kids behavior, locked in the choir room repulsive. Well might I suggest the poster do some actual research on how people, specifically teens behave under pressure. As for the kids taping messages to their loved ones, that's literally based on several real life events, involving school aged kids, not to mention adults in situations where they fear for their lives. It's not exploitive, its actual somewhat normal behavior under massive life threatening stress.

Comments about Beiste and Will. Whats so hard to understand about a character developing feelings towards basically the only adult male who's ever treated her with any sort of real respect? There was only one thing (besides the cooking in the hot tube background elements) and that was having Tanaka being a match for her, as Tanaka was portrayed as an utter waste and failure on so many levels.

THen their comments about Will be just a little bit of a nicer person then her ax who beat her. And how Will is a terrible person. Seriously? Well for the most part the male adult characters make Will look a huge catch. Only Burt has been portrayed as a better adult male on Glee.

Really the only elements of this episode that were bad, was Brittany/ Sam and that stupid fucking cat. AS opposed to the Brittany in the bathroom which was quite a nice little performance. In fact the material about Brittany/ Tubington was some of the worst material Glee has put out, not the elements that poster spoke of?

5. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Glee has huge issues. Single biggest character issue is Sue. One of the biggest mistakes the writers made was Making Sue's behavior's larger and larger. Lynch is absolutely wasted in the ole as its no longer funny in any real way.

2nd is Will, when the show started we got to see much more coverage on the adult storyline that was centered on the character of Will. But by the half point of the 1st season it was dropped, and then focused solely on Emma, Sue and the students. The character has always had issues (why do you think he stayed with Terri for so long). But now to show that side of his character its getting to the school and not just with Sue or Emma but his actions with his students (this is fairly new) and is massively harmful for the character. An episode here or there OK, I can understand, but that behavior can't remain with the students. Part of me wishes to see him and Emma and Sue completely removed from the show.

Two many characters. The show has tried to have its cake and eat it too. Clearly the show is going to feature Rachel, Kurt, Finn, probably Santana until its end. They remain (with a couple of other exceptions) the stars of the show. But the show didn't just include those characters this year, they also tried to include every single cast member who graduated last fall. That was a huge, huge mistake.

And while I have liked a couple of episodes that have focused on the new students, I still over all prefer the New York characters.

They really need to cut the dead weight on this cast. Actress who played Brittany is pregnant, so I am hoping they drop her character (really, really wish this as I think for the most part Brittany is a one note joke that stopped being funny in season two).

It appears that the show is now setting up three locations for stories. New York, Lima High and the university of Lima.

All I can say is they better really focus on characters, because with this large of cast it does no good for anyone.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've gradually warmed up to the new cast members. I think Kitty and Unique are bonafide hits as characters. Marley/Jake/Ryder have one of the few reel feeling friendships on the show.

And I really like Finn as the co-director of the Glee club. Hopefully the University of Lima will just be that place Finn goes when he's not at McKinley teaching Glee.

If we never cut to New York again I would be a happy man. Almost every single plotline that's taken place in NY has been unbearably bad. The most recent episode with Rachel's audition was the only time this season that I actually liked a New York scene.

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I think that's more likely because Idina was back as Rachel's mother, singing with her.

And I do disagree, there has been one other New York scene that was brilliant. Of course, that was in a previous year, and involved Kurt and Rachel on the Wicked stage singing a number from Wicked. Still, it was a New York scene!

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sue and Brit always seem to be in a different show. (And not the same show).

9. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been watching Glee off and on this season (mostly off).

They really need to split the show into Glee, and "AfterGlee". This kinda reminds me of Heroes...where the plan was to switch the cast every season, but they couldn't let go of most of their 1st season cast, and it kinda restrained them.

With Glee, it's way worse. A couple of cameos is nice, but the original cast is STILL the lead.

They've basically ignored all the other characters, other than Quinn 2.0, who basically just the bad side of Quinn, with no humanity. (Like a the Kirk Transporter accident). So that character is a caricature.

And they had all these people go through the Glee project ...and what did they wind up with? Essentially a few cameos, but no actual character developed (at least not one that will take over as "lead" for next year).

As for Sue... I don't mind how she is...Jane Lynch portrays her well.

Ryan Murphy, for Glee, at least, needs to take a note from JMS -- we need story arcs that have trap doors, so even if the characters have some trajectories, they can still switch it up as they see the show develop.

Is there a list of the current glee club roster? I would think that after years of winning, they'd be a bit bigger...or at least have people of different years join (like freshmen)

10. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

^Off the top of my head:

Blaine
    Sam
    Brittany
    Katie
    Unique
    Tina
    Artie
    Rhodey
    Jake
    Marley
    Christian dude with dreadlocks who never seems to get lines
    Sugar

I've quite liked the New York story, especially now that Santana moved there. And the break-up episode was fantastic in my opinion.

11. Morpheus 02

Now what happened with Sam? He was homeless, and I thought a Christian dude too. After his out-of-nowhere summer romance with Mercedes, he is now with Birttney, and acting as stupid as she is (I won't say it to her face ;) ).

As for the Christian dude...I got interrupted when they had the episode where Sam was tempting him in some way...did he actually make some kind of stand this time??? LAst year, when Santana challenged him about singing a love song to lesbians, after saying no, he basically wimped out. There was no visual inner struggle to help him arrive at his decision, basically said "love is love" and enter singing number.

And has Unique in any way talked to Kurt, or even Blaine, for that matter. I know They haven't addressed Unique's sexuality ( as opposed to gender identity, related issues), but not connecting in some way to Blaine? Really? ANd since Kurt & his nemesis life the high school, everybody is now perfectly fine with Blaine and Unqiue? Realy?

12. trekkiebaggio

Yeah we haven't heard much from the jocks, but maybe they're more tolerant.

Tbh, I can't even remember Christian dude's name so I barely remember any of his storylines. I can't even remember the last time he spoke.

I have a feeling Unique is the one that has secretly been chatting to Rhodey.

All the wacky stories and inconsistent characterisations used to bother me but now I just kinda go with it.

13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If this show goes forward another two years, have most of the club die horrifically in a bus crash on the way to Nationals, plus kill off or finish off the New York side of things. Start mostly fresh. Remove the season one cast from regular status have have them come on occasion for cameos. Fill the glee club with the twelve faces, but focus on no more than five or six of them plus the teachers. Everyone else is background, or part of a rotating cast of extras as club students will enter and leave much like any other club in real life.

Joe is the Christian guy. He hasn't even had lines in the last couple episodes, has he? For the most part he's been occupying space in the back of the room, as I understand it. As an actor even he should be getting frustrated by being billed and paid as a secondary player but being given no more to do than the extras miming the instruments in the band, while this year's new cast have been getting all the plot. I'm guessing he's graduating this year too?

Glee's problem has IMO primarily been with too large of a cast, even in the first season. Not enough room for everyone, especially after the most popular characters get their literal solo.

Mark

14. Morpheus 02

But doesn't this remind you of Trek shows? Like Joe seems the equivalent of Mayweather.

But again...from Trek shows, we CAN have a large cast that gets some good time in. But you need some good writing and some good acting, so that even if they only get a few lines, they make it worth it. (Same thing with Babylon 5)

The 1st season cast had different roles that represented the different aspects of high school and they all fit together. They need to sit down RIGHT NOW, and map that out...see who fills what role, and who is superfluous or doubled up or not acting up to that role and get rid of them.

After that, draw up rough story arcs that will shape up during the year.

15. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with them making a mistake in bringing everyone back this season. I enjoyed most of it but they tried to do too much and it came off as half-assed because of it. Really hoping the UoL thing doesn't become another area of focus on the show.

Mike, Quinn, Brittany, Tina, and Artie pretty much all need to move on (off screen) and just show up for that very special reunion episode near/at the end of the show. Puck can stay around to support Finn (and Sam for Blaine) as long as they get far away from the high school.

I'm honestly not sure how whatever high school stories that could still be told seem more interesting to the writers (after nearly 100 episodes) than all the ones they've neglected so far in NYC. I really like Kitty, Ryder, Will, Emma, Bieste, and Sugar but I'm all for letting them go if it makes the show better. If they're going to continue the split narrative they need to make it closer to 50/50 and replace the graduating members with either background characters or already established ones like Harmony or Sebastian that don't require several episodes of focus to introduce.

I think the show is setting up Mercedes to have a bigger role in next season also which I don't see how the show can support but I'm not going to pass judgement on that yet.

I just hope they take advantage of the summer to create a plan for the next two years and stick to it. Not holding much hope though. I feel like this show has the potential to be a train wreck but I'm pretty sure I'll be watching to the end.

16. Mike Farley

The problem with high school shows is that your characters age out of high school pretty quick. Easy solution: don't let your show advance in real time. You don't have to make one real year=one season. That 70's show only covered 3 1/2 years in their 8 season run.

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They're running into that same problem with all the child actors in Game of Thrones.

18. Mike Farley

Also with Karl on The Walking Dead.

Shows with young kids are pretty much forced to move in real time because those kids change physically pretty quickly as time moves on.

With most high school shows you have 20-somethings playing teens and you can get away with more fudging of the timeline.

19. trekkiebaggio

This was the first episode for a while where I liked all the songs. It was pretty heavy with the child molestation stuff. All money on Katie being the Catfish? I like how they've just completely forgotten about Joe and Sugar and don't even bother having them in the background of scenes anymore :lol: