A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Jon is on a different level from Ned and Robb; Ned certainly was a shock, given that he looked like the main character in the first book, but when it's a series of five/seven that's not nearly the same thing as killing the guy who's been the main character of the whole thing. Robb wasn't even a POV figure (his death in the show will probably have a bigger impact for the unspoiled since the show doesn't have that distinction).

Paralleling Jon and Dany in the fifth book, it's about them both fumbling their responsibilities as leader; there's no real reason to think the remainder isn't about them recovering from that experience.

2. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It just occurred to me that if they are fated to be together, we already know he likes 'em "kissed by fire"... :D Dany and her dragons would be perfect!

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I don't think their numbers are that huge, otherwise they would have done a lot more damage historically. Their troops are time-limited to how long their corpses stay together. I don't think troops can turn troops so it would require one of the Others to do the turning. Sam killed one of their knights but he was on his own. The only other time we see one of their knights is at the very beginning of the first book and he was on his own too.

Of course I could be completely wrong about troops turning other living things but it isn't clear and the troops don't rampage around willy nilly like modern day zombie movies; they are driven by someone who knows about combat and subterfuge.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

5. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

“@OonaCC: Today was a day I will never forget. You will never forget. #GameOfThrones”

Damnit :/

6. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess one advantage of not being a character from the books means that we don't know what's going to happen to her in connection to the RW... Will they use her w/o Robb?

7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Any use of her past the Wedding should reveal pretty quickly if there is in fact a conspiracy of some kind to preserve Robb's unborn heir and if that is going to play a part in the future plot.

8. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ugh. That makes me all dreadful, thinking about what kind of sick shit the Freys will do to Talisa.

9. Deckerd

So wasn't the book wife good enough for the tv show? I've never seen it so I don't know the differences. Also I'm getting the impression that a lot of people who like the tv show haven't read the books, so they aren't (or weren't) aware of the author's famous trick of killing off central characters on a whim.

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's definitely true. It's also true a lot of people watched at least the first season before reading the books so Ned Stark's death came as a shock. I guess I'll be interested to see how surprising Robb and Catelyn come to them.

11. Venardhi

The book wife required they actually put some plot into Robb's story instead of having him wander around angsting in armor and then marry the first girl he has seen (other than his mother) in a year.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The book wife is basically a one-scene wonder, and it would even more bizarre for an 18 year old to get into the situation with Jeyne that Robb did in the book.

13. Kegg

What story? Robb is that guy we hear other people talking about. He's very important in terms of plot... for the same reasons other major political figures are. We don't get a single scene of Robb and Jeyne alone, and if memory serves we get very few scenes where Jeyne even talks (and that, iirc, to Catelyn).

Robb's story in the TV series however is about Robb. Whether or not it was executed well is a whole other discussion, obviously.

Pretty much. If there's any reason to make her from Volantis, though, I've yet to hear it. If there are any further twists the character is supposed to have though I guess season three is the time to hear it.

14. Venardhi

Then you completely missed the point.

Step 1. Robb has a big victory, takes the Crag. He is well on his way to chewing off a big chunk of Lannisters' own lands. The victory might have come a bit easier than it should have.
    Step 2. Robb is injured in the battle and bedridden.
    Step 3. The Westerlings (on orders from Tywin) encourage their daughter to befriend Robb and help nurse him back to health. They may or may not have suggested to her that their best chance for survival was for her to "comfort" him when he is at his most distraught after receiving news that his brothers are dead.
    Step 4. Honorable Robb realizes what he has done and insists on marriage (or is goaded into it by her parents with some subtle digs at his honor) rather than be seen to have taken advantage of the girl, who was essentially his prisoner at the time.
    Step 5. Tywin is informed and sends word to begin negotiations with the Freys before Catelyn can begin trying to contain the damage.
    Step 6. Profit. Also a lot of blood.

15. Kegg

Oh I did not, although you seem to have missed mine. I'm distinguishing story from plot. Robb is instrumental to the plot, and I mentioned that.

But not so much when it comes to story. This is part of the reason most of the biggest plot beats you mention regarding Robb happen off-stage.

The TV series - for better or worse - involves Robb more in the story than its counterpart. It devotes time to Robb's perspective on the war and Robb's relationship with Talisa (while the novel Robb's relationship with Jeyne is inferred and told to other people). It still elides his major military victories, although that's obviously in part because budget is a bit of an issue here.

16. Deckerd

Robb in the books was always a kind of plot device who was doing something that made everyone else react, without ever spending much time with him. Everyone else gets their own stories and we return to them regularly (unless they get killed). I can understand why they would want to flesh him out for a tv show, since he's young and dynamic. I don't think Martin was all that interested in him tbh.

17. Venardhi

My post was fin reply to the previous comment.

18. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I thought the whole impetus for the Wildlings gathering together and marching was that the Others were making inroads into their communities. They wanted the horn of Joruman (or at least for Jon to think it had power or was to be desired) to get past the Wall and make it to safety. Did the books not mention that Mance had patrols along the march that were to harry the straglers and move people along? I assumed that was because just like in the flight from the fist, those at the far flung sides or rear were easy pickings.

Once Tormund makes it through the Wall, he said that one of his sons died in the night and came back as a Wight. No one realized he was dead until he raised up and Tormund had to "kill" him. I don't recall Tormund mentioning an Other attack in conjuction with that incident. (Tormund and his band had fled the Wall in the wake of Stannis' attack.)

Mel reveals the Wall is powerful. Could perhaps the spells within the Wall have protected the Wildlings while they were assualting it? Dead stored within the ice vaults don't become Wights.

Is it then safe to assume that anyone that dies beyond the Wall now and is not burned immediately will rise?

I still think Cotter Pyke's message from Hardhome is so chilling. Dead things in the Water.

Perhaps they have not moved yet because they are waiting for the dead and dying to swell their ranks?

I don't think the Wights decompose. Sam pointed out that the flesh was ropey and that there was no corruption.

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

http://collider.com/kit-harington-silent-hill-revelation-3d-game-of-thrones-season-3/202723/

Kit Harrington talks S3:

20. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Westeros.org's third sample from the map book has been posted. It's a section of Essos that hasn't been seen or hinted at previously, the coastal areas to the north of the Dothraki Sea. There's some speculation about what the new locations might be in this thread.