A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

They speak for us all:
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j7lp3RhzfgI[/yt]

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

"Write faster because I think you're liable to die soon and I don't want that to happen before you finish the books purely out of self-interest."

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Best. Video. Ever. :guffaw:

4. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

5. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Selyse's part doesn't require any "running skills", though. Which would leave Val, Dalla or Meera Reed.

6. superdeluxe

Speculation that the comment might just be the author not knowing the role, but seeing her cast in Game of Thrones thinking of that.

She is way too old for Val or Meera. Meera is 16.

7. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

One of the posters on that page's blog mentions that
    Selyse plays a larger role in Dance With Dragons than in Storm of Swords. I haven't gotten that far into the books yet myself, but I could believe that the writers are planning ahead as to what the actress would need to do throughout the entire series, not just one season.
    And I don't think she'll be a 45-year-old Meera Reed. I thought she was supposed to be closer to Bran's age (correction - 16). Tara Fitzgerald is 44 or 45, depending on who you talk to - much too old to be Meera. It was my impression that they wrote the Reed's out of the show anyway - they should have already been introduced by now for Bran's trip to the Wall.

8. superdeluxe

Speculation that Natahlie Emmanuelle has also been cast based on who she is following on twitter (many GOT folks), and that she was in belfast, and she was riding horses

9. superdeluxe

Sarah Bolger had a tweet stating she was also in Belfast, but that tweet is now missing.

:beer:

10. superdeluxe

11. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who the fuck is Myranda?

Did they rename Meera?

12. superdeluxe

Myranda Royce

13. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been confirmed that the Reeds are among the new characters in season 3, so they aren't being written out, just introduced late.

Odd to have Myranda Royce in season 3; she doesn't appear in the books until late in A Feast for Crows. They might be using the name for a very different character. I see speculation that she's being merged with Mya Stone, but neither character would have much role in the next season's worth of story.

14. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It's worth noting that the producers said they're not going to just adapt book by book but the story as a whole. If they want to bring in stuff from A Feast For Crows earlier on to make things flow better then they'll do it.

15. Brendan Moody

Of course. But in this specific instance, the only possible material is a single scene of no particular narrative importance that depends on larger developments that certainly won't happen in this season. Considering the record of past name changes, I think it's more likely that "Myranda" is an ASOS character with a new name.

16. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

That may well depend on things like how much they use and change the Mereen/Astapor storylines, for example... given that Qarth employed a get-to-the-same-general-place-by-different-means technique they also used with Robb's marriage, one wonders how they're going to handle that in the show -- which might have a huge impact on how much time they have for other things.

17. superdeluxe

And speculation that they might combine Myranda along with Mya Stone

18. Brendan Moody

But again, what use would Mya, Myranda, or both be in season 3? Unless the writers are so enamored of Littlefinger that they feel the need to dramatize his first trip to the Vale to woo Lysa, which I suppose is possible.

19. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would spoil the twist though.

I wonder if we will get Missandei this season...

20. Brendan Moody

Which twist?