Has there ever been a show with six successful seasons?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Joe Washington, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A six-season show that ended with a satyisfying bang than a disappointing whimper. Because I've noticed that the number of shows with good six-year runs are a lot fewer in number than the number of shows with good five-year runs or lesser. Do you think that's true? And if yes, why do you think that's the case?

2. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

Ultimately, I think a wide range of reasons is, that it can be hard to carry out a multi season arc/story (if there is one) past four to five seasons and still keep it interesting and ending it with a "bang" as you say. There can be a wide range of reasons, ranging from writers of a particular series only able to do so much, to network/studio limitations, etc... Not to mention unexpected obsticals, actors leaving, staff changing, etc... I've come to find that by year six, most everyone involved (if not earlier by a season or two) are ready to move on, thereby the work can suffer.

That's just my take on it, so in short...I couldn't really think of a six season successful series, no.

3. MEATLOAFr

MEATLOAFr Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Simpsons?

4. EnterpriseF

EnterpriseF Commander Red Shirt

Gunsmoke?

5. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Shield did, and added one more season for good measure.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Curb Your Enthusiasm. And I hear season seven is great, too.

7. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Are you saying a show that ended after six seasons or a show that had at least six successful seasons?

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: The Next Generation. :p

10. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Doctor Who

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

LOST ;) soon to be

:bolian:

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you talking about shows that ran for six or more years that were consistently good for each and every year? Which would rule out something like 24.

13. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe it can sometime be a matter of contracts with the studio producing the series.

My understanding is that most show runners start with a 1 year contract, which can then be extended in two year increments by the studio depending on the shows ratings and popularity. So season 3,5 & 7 can often end with a major change up behind the scenes with can then lead to good shows going downhill in either season 4 or 6 (and maybe 8, but most shows never make it that far). the actors are usually on different contract lengths which is why they sometimes leave part way through later seasons, or have to stay on even after the original shows creators have moved on. The same goes with writers who usually only have 1 year contracts, so over the course of a series a lot of the original writers might be eventually let go so you are left with people writing the show that wern't on it at the beginning.

I also feel that 5 years is probably the most time you can expect a a show creator/runner to maintain a decent amount of interest and enthusiasm for the shows storylines, characters, concepts, setting, etc... These people are artists (usually writers that have moved up the Hollywood chain) and five years is a long time to be focused on one set of characters.

Supernatural is a show facing this dilemma at the end of this season. the shows creator's contract is up so he is leaving (after 5 seasons), but the main actors are all still contracted out for at least one more season, so if the studio/network decide to do another season, they will have to get a new show runner to pick up the reigns and take things in his own direction. Whether this is good or bad depends on what he decides to do with the show.

14. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

X-Files. I didn't start to lose interest till season 7.

TNG, DS9, VOY

Law and Order, Cheers, Frasier, Seinfeld, Simpsons

15. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As others have mentioned, TNG and DS9 ran for seven pretty successful seasons and went out on top. Lost is about to begin its sixth and final year - and while I can't read the future, I dare say it'll be very good. Also, the success of a series can be subjective. I, personally, think Buffy the Vampire Slayer ran for seven successful seasons. Others may disagree and argue that it should have ended after season five, but I was very happy with the way things turned out.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The West Wing ran for 7 seasons with most agreeing that it declined in quality in season 5 but picked up again in seasons 6 & 7. The Shield is a show which arguably got better with each passing season (7 in total). Lost has a good chance. The first six seasons of Frasier were fantastic, then the show declined each season, but its final season (11) upped its game and the show went out gracefully.

17. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

M*A*S*H? All In The Family?

18. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was talking about shows that have ended after six good seasons.

19. Braxton

Braxton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NCIS, it's actually gained viewers over the course of its run and has been holding the #1 spot in the 2009-2010 TV season. This is its 7th season.

20. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked Frasier season 7 and didn't notice any decline relative to season 6. Although I did notice a certain decline in seasons 6 and 7 in relation to the first 5 seasons, i.e. a smaller number of really excellent/very funny episodes. The first 5 seasons were a lot more consistent. But the real decline started with season 8.