Romulan questions

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Aug 13, 2009.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So it is the end then? The stuff on Memory Beta said several sequels, so I thought there might be more after Schims.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This has been a really interesting discussion for me. Thanks for everyone's info.

Now my next question is do the Romulan stories have any connections to the Year Four series? And do either of those have a connection to the Mission's End miniseries?

Thanks again so much.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Memory Alpha calls Schism the conclusion. And since the usual trade paperback collection is 5-6 issues, I'd imagine that after the success of Byrne's first two Romulan stories, IDW probably commissioned Schism specifically in order to fill out the story enough to give it a full TPB of its own.

Generally each of IDW's miniseries has been self-contained. I'm not aware of any cross-connections.

4. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

Actually, this was a question I was wondering about while a couple of us were referencing different Alien Spotlight stories. Is the Romulan Praetor in Byrne's Alien Spotlight the same as the one in the 2009 version of the comic with the same name? For that matter, is it even remotely close to the Romulan leadership in "The Hollow Crown"? I took a look at the artwork in the Hollow Crown, and there seemed to be a difference.

5. Christopher

According to Memory Beta, the Volume 2 "Romulans" story is a prequel to the Volume 1 "Romulans" story, featuring the same Praetor. The artwork is different since they're illustrated (as well as written) by different people, but they're reportedly in continuity with one another. My point was that I was unaware of any cross-connections between IDW's Romulan sequence and its other titles; I was counting all the Romulan stuff as a single entity, in keeping with the form of the question I was answering.

6. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the end so far as Byrne has mentioned. The whole Romulans saga basically takes the Romulan-Klingon Alliance from birth to death. The TPB will contain the Alien Spotlight, an exclusive Romulan point-of-view adaptation of Balance of Terror, The Hollow Crown and Schism.

Hollow Crown shows the fall of the Praetor from the Alien Spotlights, but it's the same one to start with. The more recent Alien Spotlight is that same Praetor, Ian Edginton commented on it in a recent interview in the Star Trek magazine.

In the same article he suggested his Alien Spotlight takes place four or five years before The Hollow Crown. However there aren't any date references in the comic and Memory Beta's chronology takes into account the recent appointment of the praetor following his father as suggest in the earlier Alien Spotlight (and working with the idea the praetor in Vanguard is the father praetor) so places it relatively close to Byrne’s Alien Spotlight.

Yes! With the exception of the first Romulan Alien Spotlight the Byrne comics are of the minority IDW Trek that actually get individual issue titles!

The first Year Four series was entirely stand-alone stories, the second, The Enterprise Experiment, does have a plot with the Romulans, however if anything it seems to contradict the Byrne Romulans stories. The Enterprise Experiment suggests the Klingons had previously sold a few ships to the Romulans but that their Alliance proper wasn't started until the Year Four period, while Byrne's Romulans shows the Alliance forming before even Balance of Terror.

7. 8of5

If this helps at all, a little timeline (I've not read Vanguard yet so taking the Vrax info as described by others):

• 2265:Vrax is Praetor per Vanguard
    • unseen: Vrax is killed by his son "Smirky" who takes the Praetorship
    • late-2265/early-2266: Edginton Alien Spotlight, featuring tests of "ghost ships" in Romulan space
    • 2266: Byrne's Alien Spotlight, ghost ship development appears to be complete, leading straight into Balance of Terror
    • Balance of Terror
    • 2266-2268: The Hollow Crown. Starting shortly after Balance of Terror, then skipping ahead to The Deadly Years, then skipping ahead several more months. In this time the Klingons manipulate the Romulan Commander's family and the Praetor so that the Commander's son ends up inheriting the praetorship (with a built in hatred for the Federation so the Klingons can use the Romulans as a weapon and get round the Organian Peace Treaty)
    • Schism will continue on from there showing the end of the alliance.

8. EmperorKalan

EmperorKalan Commander Red Shirt

According to Byrne on his blog:

A sample page of the Romulan Commander speaking with Kirk follows that announcement, and can be seen at:
    http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32557&PN=1&TPN=1

9. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

I read the 2 issue Hollow Crown last night before bed. It was a timeliner's delight!!!:drool: What you have here works, but one of the problems with the first issue is the flow of events as depicted. The story is fine, but a number of months seems to flow by just moving from one panel to the next a couple of different times. The 2nd issue was within a more constrained time period.

For what its worth, Koloth's depiction as being a captain directly after "Balance of Terror" is not compatiable with Kevin Ryan's Errand of Vengeance Trilogy. In that story Koloth doesn't rise to the rank of captain until weeks after "Balance of Terror".;)

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Was" in Volume 2?

That reprint omnibus hasn't even been published yet, as "Alien Spotlight: Cardassians" isn't due out as an individual issue until September.

11. 8of5

Well, volume 2 as in the second series, whether it's been lumped together into a book yet or not.

And Cardassians hasn't been solicited properly yet, so isn't due until at least November, judging by the release date on Amazon for the omnibus more likely December or January!

12. Christopher

I hadn't heard about the BoT adaptation. Interesting. Kind of like Blood Will Tell with Romulans. (Green Blood Will Tell?)

Vrax is mentioned in Vanguard: Summon the Thunder. That's six weeks before Reap the Whirlwind, which is in 2266; so StT has to be in late November '65 at the very earliest. So if it is possible to fit the IDW comics and VNG into the same continuity, then the Edginton Romulans would have to be early '66.

As 8 of 5 says, the term "volume" refers to a particular group of issues of a periodical, not just to a book-bound collection. Many magazines or journals have annual volumes. For instance, the July 2009 Scientific American is Volume 301, Number 1. Since this is the second distinct 6-issue run of Alien Spotlight, it is Volume 2, even when published in individual issues.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It always depends on sales. The second Romulan mini-series was done to flesh out enough material to make another thematic omnibus.

If sales are still good and John Byrne is still interested, why would there not be more?