Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by BlueStuff, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Danger Ace

Danger Ace Commander Red Shirt

To a certain extent, I believe, that was intentional. So many people tend to overlook the historical, even current, blemishes of their ancestry or nationalism while condeming others - glass houses and all that. So I feel the hypocrisy was purposeful.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Garak and Quark's little speech about the Federation in Way of the Warrior was one of DS9's better moments.

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The root beer speech was one of DS9's best speeches.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, that and Eddington's which I loved.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The Eddington speech was great. :techman:

6. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Oh... I realized... my personal most hated character is the Kai Winn. I'm mid-way through Season 3. Don't know if she changes later on, but right now I cannot stand her. I know she is meant to be disliked, but either way I seriously do not like her at all... so unworthy of the position. :ack:

I haven't peeked much at upcoming episodes, so forgive me if she changes later on in the show.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Out of all the characters, Winn is the most fun to hate.

She's not arbitrarily nasty for no reason like many of the villains. She's a politician, and she'll do absolutely anything to stay in power. You hate her like you hate real politicians, and IMO, that's awesome.

She would totally block a gun control bill just because it made her look bad to her constituents.

8. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agree with that. Winn was someone you could love to hate because she was realistic. (The same was true for Dukat for a long time until they turned him into the space Antichrist, because the realism went, the individuality went.)
    Personally I liked Julain right from the start, even though apparently I wasn't "meant" to (I think the writers intended for the audience's reactions to him to mirror those of O'Brien). I also liked Rom right away. His stupidity had a quality about it that was far too endearing to make him annoying. (Also it later turned out he's amazingly clever in certain things - the idiot savant.)

I couldn't stand Ezri, not because the actress is doing a bad job or the character is inherently unlikeable, but just because she was a bad replacement for Jadzia. I think they should've been courageous enough, having killed off a main character, to simply let her death stand as is. Also didn't like Zek, because of all the Ferengi he was the one who came out too much on the wrong side of caricature.
    Plus is there anyone else who thinks that that damned singing hologram was really unnecessary?

9. teacake

I adore Winn, Louise Fletcher is a joy to watch. Incredible performance. One of my favorite ever characters.

10. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about Vic Fontaine? I can't imagine he was a well-loved character.

11. R. Star

I liked Eddington. The extra who wouldn't be ignored! :p

As for Kai Winn... sure you hated her, that was the point. She was oh so syrupy and fake in her politeness, while she's plotting her next evil scheme, but rarely actually crossed the line where she had to be dealt with, at least until Dukat dragged her over it after he was done occupying Bajor one more time.

Vic? Eh.. didn't really hate him... just didn't care period. He's alright, he can sing well, but beyond that he's really just a distraction. One song now and again is alright, but in His Way where he's literally singing for HALF the episode, that grated on me. Not what I want when I turn on a sci-fi show. Though to be fair, he was great with Nog in It's Only a Paper Moon.

12. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I found the Ferengi episodes boring...

13. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I hated Mirror Kira the most. Jadzia Dax was also grating since she was kind of everywhere in the early seasons, before they settled on Kilingon lifestyle enthusiast.

14. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I wasn't really a fan of Vic Fontaine but I also absolutely hate the 1950s - 1960s gangster era (for the record, I am a huge fan of old 20s-40s ear gangster genre). To me it was all so chinzy and...I don't know...just gross, the decor, the music, the "gangsters", everything.

I'm sure if Vic Fontaine's nightclub was set in a earlier period I would have liked it, but then he wouldn't have been able to make his references to the Rat Pack and other icons of that time.

So for me....meh. :)

15. teacake

Whoever came up with that was an idiot.

You would think that having a sex mad bisexual dominatrix on Star Trek would be a good thing. But no.. awful. Sometimes rose to glorious camp BUT it shouldn't have had to rise to that, glorious camp should have been the starting point!

I'll admit it. I make it glorious camp in my head because I want it to work.

(No slam on Nana Visitor who played the part well)

16. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Personally, I couldn't stand Jadzia Dax, but I think generally speaking Bashir was probably one of the least popular, at least as far as the regulars go, especially at first. Arrogant + naive usually = unlikeable in my experience.

17. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Ughhhh Mirror Kira!!! :vulcan: Again though, like Winn, she was meant to be that way lol.

18. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow...I didn't realize how hated Mirror Kira was. I found her to be a loose cannon and totally dangerous. And yes, camp. I thought she was a great character for the MU. Sure she was 2D like most Mirror characters, but it was fun to go there the few times they did. Like a little dessert for the actors. And fun to watch (for me).

Also, there's a difference between feeling hate for a character (which is often a good, intended thing), and hating the idea or direction of a character in general. I think Winn falls into the former category for most, at least she should.

I guess I'm also in the minority because I loved Vic Fontaine. To me, he brought some fun and charm to the show.

19. R. Star

Mirror Kira was.... so cliche it was mind boggling. Yet at the same time you couldn't help but like that Nana Visitor was clearly giving her all in that role.

20. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

I liked Vic as a character. Finally, a sentient hologram that was cool with his place in life! Doesn't take over the station, doesn't demand photonic rights; he just wants to sing!

No, what I didn't like was how he was used - and overused. People thought the over-emphasis on Ezri was bad, and she was a main character! Vic is just a bit player.