Roddenberry episode "Prophets of Science Fiction" Q4 2011

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by jefferiestubes8, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Ridley Scott will be producing a series for the Science Channel entitled:
    "Prophets of Science Fiction"
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118029876?refCatId=14

This is great news. a entire episode dedicated to Roddenberry and how Star Trek has affected actual science.
    Faster than Light transport (not a Roddenberry invention) but the science behind it with the Warp core technology, teleportation (not a Roddenberry invention), energy-based weapons ['phasers'] (not a Roddenberry invention), Photon torpedoes, the medical devices used in TOS, TNG, VOY sick bay and the Emergency Medical Holographic program (EMH) in VOY.
    Hopefully they will also mention the utopia future world that the Star Trek future has evolved into where money isn't used (on Earth) but Federation Credits exist within the U.F.P. such as discussed in this thread: Trying to figure out the Federation Economy .

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Roddenberry was one of the men I always wanted to work for and hopefully learn from.

Can't wait for the series! Thanks for the info!

3. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope they mention MP3's and other mundane things that people now take for granted but were inspired by watching Trek (MP3's came about after the programmer watched Data listening to multiple tracks in A Matter Of Time)

4. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

If Gene Roddenberry had written this show, it would be called "Profits of Science Fiction".:rommie:

5. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this. I'm amazed by the extent to which Star Trek has affected the real world. I think it's extraordinary that people with talent and intelligence have been inspired by it to turn some of the fictional science there into reality.