April challenge- Winston Smith

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by WinstonSmith, Apr 20, 2012.

1. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

for some reason when I hear 'new beginning' I think; colonists. So this is my version of the old west in space. It is the final frontier after all!

[​IMG]

I was a little hesitant that it might not immediately come across as 'trek', but hopefully I've managed to pull off... something :P ;)

2. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

It's not saying Trek, the DY style conning tower on the ship is the only Trekkish nod I see. I love the idea though. Did you do this on an iPad, it looks similar to stuff I make with Autodesk on mine?

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Yeah, right now I'm seeing Firefly, not Star Trek. It shouldn't be too hand to "trek" up though.

What era is this set in? Put in some details that are era or place specific and I think that'll help enormously.

Nice start!

--Alex

4. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice start! :D

5. WinstonSmith

Thanks guys! I must admit the firefly styling is kinda deliberate, but I agree that it should be balanced out more with a trek feel. So, pass 2;

[​IMG]

what do you think? and is there anything that could make it more obviously trek?

6. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Getting better. The markings on the colony ship are a big improvement.

Would it work making the tram/train look more like the front of a TOS era shuttle? You're already going that way with the font on the front.

Maybe make the background similar to the backgrounds we've seen on TOS? Doesn't have to be though.

Maybe add someone beaming in on the platform? That transporter effect is synonymous star trek.

I would change the flags/pennants to make them look more like the UFP pennants we've seen
    [​IMG]

7. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

I rather like it. I know you guys may say "it's not Star Trek style" but the universe is huge. A diversity of style is ok. TNG, for example, was not the same style as TOS.

8. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Maybe in the background put in some cranes and towers similar to those seen in the Star Base 11 matte paintings. Those are very iconic. Or else something similar to that, like you might see at Disney's Tomorrowland or the Space Needle or some other 1960's-vision-of-the-future type structure.

If not the whole tower, then maybe just enough structure to imply one is being built...

Also I second the pennant type banner for the UFP stuff.

Great improvements!

--Alex

9. WinstonSmith

got a bit more done, taking in some of the suggestions above; [​IMG]

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The inking is going to help alot. I like where it's going.

11. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Coming along very nicely!