5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Count Zero, Jun 5, 2010.

?

What's your verdict?

1. Excellent

63.3%
  2. Good

28.5%
  3. Average

2.5%
  4. Meh

3.8%
  5. I'd rather cut off my ear

1.9%
  1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I hald expected there to be less paintings in the room when the Doctor and Amy returned to the museum at the end of the episode.

I've always heard it pronounced as van Goch (like the Scottish word Loch). Unfortunately, I can't read Mirrorball's phonetic spelling above to find out whether that's right.

Well, that was the first 'Excellent' of the season for me. I had tears in my eyes for the last 15 minutes. I thought the idea that no one except Vincent can see the alien, not even the Doctor, was great. Oh well, everything I would have wanted to say about the episode has already been said. It was moving, yet also humourous and entertaining.

2. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

No. This one was really well done. Compare the Crafiys to Lazarus and see the astounding difference in quality.

Likening it to Primeval is frankly a joke.

3. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    That was a wonderful episode, and Tony Curran did a fabulous job as Van Gogh. He portrayed the mood swings of Van Gogh's depressions beautifully. I especially loved the scene of the three in the field watching the stars all holding hands with the other for their own private needs to one another. An excellent episode, I almost felt let down by how prosaic the next episode previews felt.

4. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I won't say too much as I'll just be echoing whats been said already, but I quite enjoyed this and even my girlfriend sat down to watch it. I think Matt Smith has sold her on Doctor Who.

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Well, I had to take a walk after watching that one -- three hours, I ended up in Manhattan!

It has already been said in the thread -- the humor, the sadness, the acting; Van Gogh was so accurately manic-depressive! Certainly one of my all-time favorite Who episodes.

7. Demonland

Demonland Commodore Commodore

I thought that was just brilliant. The whole Van Gogh bit was just enthralling. The Doctor and Amy were great. What a sad story. I almost feel as if meeting the Doctor and Amy and the future that they showed him somehow contributed to his depression even further. Imagine how Vincent would have felt in the days and weeks and months after his incredible chance encounter with the Doctor and his beautiful assistant. He fought aliens and travelled in a Time Machine (which was impossibly bigger on the inside) and saw his work finally appreciated only to have to go back to being ridiculed, despised and lonely once again. Maybe his meeting with the Doctor had such a profound affect on him and after that he just couldn't bare to live such a mundane, unappreciated and lonely existence and he just wanted to be free.

Anyway loved the 1st and 2nd Doctor cameos. Loved the TARDIS becoming a 19th century bulletin board and it was great to see it burnt to shreads on re-entry (how did Captain Jack survive the trip).

All in all one of my favourite New Who stories ever.

8. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

Jack can survive anything. Even listening to Dirk Bennedict.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, technically he didn't, he was revived soon after the Doctor and Martha landed. But the guy's effectively immortal and in the same episode, we saw him unbothered by radiation that vaporized a poor fella.

And Jack's the only one in the show's history thus far to "survive" a trip in the time vortex unaided.

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Surely that would finish even Jack off?

11. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor has always had the ability to do so.

Any time he's been unable, whether stated on screen or not, it' because he's been working an angle.

He's been able to pilot the TARDIS with pinpoint accuracy far too many times for there to be any other explanation.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Wow, people! Watch the first 30 seconds again! Something's rushing at Vincent in the wheat, and it ain't crows!

I think there's going to be a big reveal in Ep 13.

13. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

^There's always the opinion that the TARDIS makes choices to take him to places where he's needed too.

14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

"A horse and a man, above, below. One has a plan, but both must go..."

15. Demonland

Demonland Commodore Commodore

chronologically does this take place before or after the Doctor meets him? I realise that talking chronologics in a show about time travel is silly.

16. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be hinting at this week's monster, nothing else.

17. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was good, but not the best. Typical Curtis though, and it was fab but it had its flaws.

Usual monster of the week, Doctor digs out something of old to find/see it with.

Although cleverly handled, making it the possible reason for Vincents documented madness, but never gave a reason as to why only he could see the beastie. :confused:

As is the norm with Curtis, we have brilliant character studdies and interations in circumstances that are so common place but, in the case of his Who ep its a bit other wordly, but it works.

The developing relationship bewtween Amy and Vince was a nice but unneccesary touch, especially when he picked up on the residual mourning for Rory, even though he had been un-written from time.

And the part when he painted over the sunflowers to sketch the monster was brilliant, with the doctor and Amys reaction, priceless scene.

and it had probably the best ending to an episode, with Amy wanting to save Vincent from suicide, but not succeeding, but she changes one thing, he still repaints sunflowers but with an added message to Amy, great and touching.

not sure if the visit to the museum in the future was need, Van Gogh didnt need to go to 2010 to see his fanbase, he just need a friend to believe in him, and he found that with the Doctor and Amy, but alas, it was there. The Ep couldve gone along that line of the friendship developing rather than running away from monsters.

But, saying that, it was a good delve in the psyche of one the best artists, which i studdied in art, or the world.

18. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

This was my take on it when I was watching the scene in the museum - imagine going back to his life after that! That's what I loved most about that scene, actually - it was at once wonderfully fulfilling - he will be remembered, and as a genius - and horribly depressing - he will never know anything of it, never feel gratitude or acceptance. A very conflicted thing for someone to go through, I think.

19. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I loved the episode but gave it a "Good" rating. I would have given it a excellent if the monster didn't look like a giant chicken ;)

20. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Well no, in the original run he specifically states he has no control over where the TARDIS goes. This has lead to many companions getting stuck with him, and him not being able to return them home.

It is a common theory though that over time, the Doctor has gained greater control of the TARDIS, able to pin point where he wants to land, and this episode that has really come true he's able to go to the past, the future and the past again exactly when he wants to.