New Arrested Development! (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Kestra, May 26, 2013.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

How did people not get that joke?

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I must admit I didn't get the joke! I did notice that it was only on footage from last season and at first I thought maybe it was a joke but then I thought, but what is the punchline? It must be real. :lol: I thought it was Netflix trying to stop people from stealing, it didn't occur to me that the joke was that Netflix was the one doing the stealing. It didn't bother me though, I barely noticed it after the first time it appeared.

3. Bob The Skutter

Yep, the joke was that they'd been cheap and stolen the footage and cheap enough to use a trail version of the software that ripped it.

4. Spot's Meow

By the way, it's amazing how differently everyone has aged. Tobias is a little chubbier, Lindsay is a little thinner (she also looked different somehow, but I can't quite figure out why), Maeby and George Michael look much older (obviously), Gob has a few more wrinkles, and Buster and Michael appear to not have aged a day. Steve Holt looks completely different!

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I got it immediately, but it seems some people on the internet got pretty upset. I thought it was a classic meta joke.

There was also a scene where Ron Howard rewinds the show, and it looks like the Netflix mobile UI (complete with 10 second button and volume bar). Also, in the Buster episode he realizes something that had happened earlier, and Ron Howard says "Before you rewind all the way back to the Maeby episode, yes that happened." (Paraphrased to protect spoilers).

6. Bob The Skutter

I don't know, I think Lindsay has had some work done, possibly a nose job (ironic given they make so many jokes about it on the show). I didn't even recognise her as the same person at first. Think a lot of Steve Holt's change was make up.

7. Spot's Meow

Yeah, maybe that was it, regarding Lindsay. I also felt like Portia was acting differently, it almost didn't feel like the same character to me. As a result I found it difficult to get into the Lindsay episodes. I think what I didn't like about the Tobias episodes was the DeBrie character. She really annoyed me and I felt the character was unnecessary. I also felt they spent too much time on the Fantastic Four play, which I didn't find a very funny joke.

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Episode One

I haven't the time nor the desire to watch more than one episode per day so I will probably fall out of this thread fairly quickly, as happened with House of Cards. But for now:

I didn't like Wiig and Rogan as young Lucille and young George, I guess because I know what Jessica Walter and Jeffrey Tambor looked like in 1982, and also because it seemed funnier when they used to just put them in wigs and dress them up for flashbacks.

This was kind of a set-up episode so I didn't expect it to be great, but it was OK. The extra six or seven minutes really changed the show's pace, I thought, mostly in a good way but maybe a couple of scenes went on a bit too long. The "Showstealer" joke was great. I'm fairly optimistic based on this episode.

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Portia de Rossi has had a lot of plastic surgery in the seven years since the show ended, and not all of it was done particularly competently.

10. Bob The Skutter

Thought that might be the case. As I said I barely recognised her as the same person when her episode started. In fact I showed a friend some of the episodes and he said in that scene of her with the bags "she looks more like Madonna than Lindsay."

11. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, she generally doesn't look like herself anymore. It's very unfortunate that she decided to Botox any trace of emotion out of her face.

12. tighr

Couldn't help myself, dove in for a rewatch. Time to pick up on all the little sight gags!

S4E01:

The murals at the Phoenix airport when Michael is riding the moving sidewalk show all the major plotlines from the first three seasons.

When Lucille 2 writes Michael the check for $700,000 (dated 5/1/08), the previous two entries in her check register are $800 to a party supply store for "cinco garbage (sombreroes and marionettes)", and $325 to juice boxes, "legitimate grape, snappy/apple/sugar cane plus".

The news report about Boy George is covered from "Actual Britain" by wee BBC 2.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Episode 6 addresses why she looks a bit off.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw an interview with Portia and Ellen Degeneres on CBS Sunday Morning last year, maybe the year before. My heart went out to Portia as I saw that interview. She suffers from severe depression and has body image issues, and both have taken a toll on her.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I stayed up late Saturday and watched the first 7 pistoles. Another four yesterday, before I went to a pool party and then watchedvthe final four this morning. The first episode is awkward, but when considered with the rest of the season is clearly just set up. It has otherwise all been brilliant. About my only critique is that Michael is kind of a douche now, which took some getting used to. But revisiting earlier episodes from the original run, he's always kind of had that douchebag element to his character, but it was always put aside by how much worse the rest of the family is. Here, he's on his own and without the rest of the Bluths to literally play off and be the "good guy" around, his douchiness basically comes out. Definitely looking forward to the movie or additional seasons now.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Minor Pet-Peeve: I know they are sort-of playing fast and loose with the dates between "Development Arrested" and this batch of episodes, but it seems to me, they have iPhones a little too early. At least, I assumed that Lindsay's India trip took place shortly after the events of "Development Arrested," which aired in early 2006 and the iPhone didn't debut until June 2007.

Again, minor nitpik, you can all carry on now...

17. tighr

Yeah, they didn't provide very many concrete dates for the events. As I noted earlier, Lucille 2 gives Michael a check in May 2008 for the housing development, but by this point the California housing market had already crashed. Maeby is a Sr for the fifth time, which should make it 2011.

18. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

You shut your mouth. She was gorgeous before and she is still gorgeous now.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Ten episodes in and I'm still not sure what I think. No real laugh out loud moments and the episodes overlap so much that it feels like I've gotten three or four episodes worth of actual new material so far.

20. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I watched it all the way through and started a rewatch.

I have noticed a few things.
    • Debrie may really be a man. Her last partner had face blindness and was focused on being tricked by women pretending to be men. Also she was described as one by the doctor that Tobias took her to repeatedly.
    • There are several film crews in the background throughout most of the episodes.
    • Michael may have killed Lucille 2. He shows up to the model home in the Banana Stand shirt, there's red stains on it and he washes his hands when he first walks in. Due to being roofied by his brother, he will not know now. It could also be that it is red paint that was used on the stair car.
    • The Banana Stand does not show up at all.