Slings and Arrows

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by NightJim, Mar 4, 2015.

1. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

After reading some talk on this board of the Sling and Arrows series, and having just watched Generations the night before that, I decided to look up the series, because I figured the idea of the E-E's first year was a good one. Especially getting to see more of Hawk and other changes that didn't get room to breath in the next three films.

The fact that there wasn't a collection like there is for Gateways or Double Helix saddened me, but didn't dissuade me. So I got the first book, but I hadn't realised they were novellas, not novels. The problem being that Amazon UK has them priced practically at normal book price. I can't afford to lay that much money down for what is essentially one novel.

I'm obviously going to read the final story, and I was tempted by the Tom Riker one, but then I realised it probably contradicts Imzadi II. Is that a problem? Any other recommendations from the other six before I skip over them all?

*Bear in mind for spoilers because I'm slowly making my way towards Destiny (and beyond) for the first time.

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

We actually just finished going though this series on Literary Treks and had KRAD on to talk about the whole thing and his book which wrapped up the series, the episode will be out on Sunday. It was nice to see the first year of the Enterprise E in novellas.

3. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

There's a reference to Tom Riker and his involvement in Triangle: Imzadi II in A Weary Life, so I think Slings and Arrows leaves Triangle: Imzadi II intact.

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The pricing of these books clearly constitutes a war crime.

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm holding off on these for now, hoping we get a compilation at some point? Or maybe until S&S decides those prices are out of line and adjusts them.

It's been seven years... hopefully I won't have to wait *too* much longer! ;)

6. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I would say the chances of that ever happening are somewhere between slim, and none. I guess we can never say never though.

7. Enterpriserules

For the most part, they are all worth the read. So if you can get past the price, it is nice to have the Enterprise-E's first year.

8. Enterpriserules

We were able to have KRAD on to talk about his final book in the series as well as the whole thing on Literary Treks. It was a blast. [​IMG]

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the ideal time for a compilation was 2012, for NextGen's 25th-anniversary. Next year would also be ideal, for First Contact's twentieth.

The issue, as I see it, is that the people currently at Pocket have no connection to Slings and Arrows. They weren't involved with it when the series was e-published. It's not on their radar.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

At this point if any e-books were going to be republished with physical versions, I'm thinking it would probably be the remaining Corps of Engineers novellas, or some of the newer ones before Slings and Arrows.