STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

Ummm... anyway... mass drownings aside...

I didn't bother holding off on spoiling myself. I've been disappointed way too many times by wanting to remain "pure" until opening day (Alien Resurrection... one of the most grand disappointments in my entire life). Spoilers of Nemesis saved me cash and overwhelming disappointment. Last year I tried again by remaining chaste with regard to Prometheus (and walked out of the theater with a bitchin' continuity headache and rancid, fan-wank xenomorph goo all over me... had to take a shower)... but I digress.

Suffice to say, I couldn't leave STID to chance and I'm quite content with what I've read here.

I have to agree with the earlier posts about this film being JJ's "Kobayashi Maru" test. It was going to be a no-win scenario, Khan or no-Khan... some finite group of fans was going to get pissed.

I'm fine with it being Khan, even more pleased that BC gets to play him. He's hands-down spectacular at all he does.

I'm also fine with the elements of TWOK that have been turned on their head. FRINGE did something similar (once it delved deeply into the RedVerse) by using the characters differences "over there" to push and develop the main characters further. I'm hopeful that JJ is doing something not entirely dissimilar with the cast in STID (and it sounds like he is, i.e. Adm. Pike being Kirk's father-figure and how much of Kirk is nature vs. nurture).

5/17 can't get here fast enough. I've already taken the day off work, have a lunch date scheduled with the wife and will take my boys to see it the same weekend.

It's gonna be a good weekend, tater...

2. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I am regretting buying the ticket for this movie already. I am detail oriented and I pick up on things that don't make sense faster than other people. This film will not be as pleasurable for me as it will be for others.

3. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well the dilemma for you is pretty straightforward. If you hated the reboot you will hate this and frankly if look into the details of any Trek you will find massive flaws ! Just enjoy the spectacle, the ride and the interactions between the characters rather than focusing on the details.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. Relax already!

Or sell the ticket to a friend.

5. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please tell me however that you didn't like On Her Majesty's Secret Service where George Lazenby plays Bond and actually gets married in the film?

Worst Bond film in the history of the series and Lazenby was terrible as James Bond.

Trek like Bond had it's Lazenby moments. Nemesis and Final Frontier were IMO definately those moments.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't want to make extra trouble for M'Sharak, but I felt this needed to be clarified since in the midst of trying to throw someone else under the bus to distract attention away from your own over the top comments about drowning complainers, you managed to come to the completely opposite interpretation of what I actually said.

I asserted that they WOULDN'T be bootlegging the film and WOULD be paying the full price to see it in the theater so they could continue to argue with knowledge about the details of the film. There was no accusation of bootlegging on their part, just that sometimes they claim to have seen a bootleg at a friend's house so that they can brag about not wasting their money on the film. See the difference?

It's not even flaming even if I had said what you contend, and it sure is hell isn't remotely on par with saying you would like to drown people.

7. oneal_cj

oneal_cj Ensign Newbie

Another question: Are their any other ships in the film other than Enterprise and Vengeance? Also what are the "balls" on the front of the Vengeance?

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Will it be a thrill ride? Yes. Will it have great special effects? Yes. Will it be well directed? Yes. Will I have to not think so hard on certain elements? Likely based on what I saw in Star Trek 2009 and what I'm hearing about Into Darkness.

Just based on the above (if my analysis is correct), it'll still be worth the price of a ticket.

9. KirkusOveractus

KirkusOveractus Commodore Commodore

For the first question, Spock is apparently reassigned to another ship as well briefly, but I'm not sure if we see much of that ship.

I'm also waiting to hear from anyone if the Enterprise appears repaired at the end, or if she's in spacedock like we left the TNG cast in Nemesis.

That would be a downer. I'd like to see her warp away to her next adventure at the end, with maybe Pine doing the "Space - the final frontier" narration.

10. throwback

There are times when I could actually like alcohol and could get wasted by drinking an inordinate amount of the stuff. I think watching this film in that condition would help alleviate the fact that I bought the ticket and would help me ease my anal retentiveness as I watch the film. Of course, I will be watching the film, because I bought the bloody ticket. I feel obligated. Ugh.

Anyway, I won't be repeating that mistake with the video game. What is it with corporations calling games that no sane person would buy, because they are more than partially broken and are incapable of measuring to anything half-decent, canon?

I would like for whoever does the next film to respect that there are fans out there who aren't like them in the fact that they aren't rolling in money. For someone like Abrams, blowing nearly fifteen dollars on a film is nothing. For a poor person, that's a meal. So, that when they do make that film, they will produce a film that has a script with intelligence and common sense and there aren't plot holes big enough to drive one of their ridiculously large ships through, and where the characters are not eclipsed by special effects and sleight-of-hand gimmicks.

11. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

1. Stop crying and sell the ticket.
    2. The game's pretty awesome thank you very much.
    3. Shut up.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The video game is flawed but fun. :shrug:

Since I haven't seen the film yet I don't feel qualified to make the above judgement. If you feel that way going in, there's likely nothing that will change your mind.

13. throwback

Kruezerman, are you with Namco?

Anyhow, if there's anyone who lives in Contra Costa County, California, I will gladly mail you the ticket. Free of charge.

14. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

Mememe! I'm in Contra Costa!

:)

15. throwback

GMDreia,

I have sent you a message. I hope you got it.

16. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Yes, I'm the President. :rolleyes:

17. Therin of Andor

Sell it!

No Star Trek games have ever been "canon".

Since when has Paramount Pictures treated Star Trek as anything but a money earner? You're blaming JJ Abrams for the price of cinema tickets? :confused:

Wait till it comes to free TV. Buy an ex-rental DVD. Go on half-price Tuesday.

Obviously you've forgotten all about STs I, II, III, IV, V, VI, "Generations", "First Contact", "Insurrection" and "Nemesis".

18. Deck 1 - Bridge

Deck 1 - Bridge Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, you implied piracy in regard of this particular film, and you know it. Backtracking now just makes it worse, you alleged a serious criminal offence, an offence that undermines the motion picture industry just to belittle the poster. And for the record, the poster was IMO talking tripe but he's entitled to his opinion without you resorting to pretty childish accusations to shut him down. Now your doing the same to me in telling me I've got it all wrong.

That's not even the point though, it's the poor moderating that reeks of double standards that's the issue. As if, given the choice, anyone would actually drown anyone/someone for not liking a Star Trek film, I mean come on, seriously? I presume most of us are able to understand context and nuance or are we all aspergic to a man, woman, child? (I am funnily enough)

7 people seem to have seen the film according to the poll, the hysteria and whining on this thread just isn't commensurate with the number of negative comments articulated within the thread.

Shakes head in disbelief!

19. Therin of Andor

I went back looking for evidence of your complaints about the Mods - and failed to find any.

And four of us voted A+. ;) And even people who said it was average still had a great night at the cinema.

20. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Uh, no. He really didn't. I read the same post as you and at no point did I ever have an inkling that he was was implying what you're accusing him of.