The Doctor Who primer

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by V\'ger, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for linking this video! Pretty good rundown on Dr. Who history--learned quite a lot from it.

Many years ago, I watched Dr. Who while Tom Baker was the doctor. I really liked his personification and his successor really soured it for me; couldn't adjust to him. Anyway, what a ragtag run of doctors since... until David Tennant. I haven't seen many of his episodes yet, but I like the way he plays the doctor, probably even more than Tom Baker. The newest guy, Matt Smith, portrays an interesting variation. A little more nerdy than Tennant, but he seems well positioned to do a great job.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just started season 5 lastnight with Smiths first episode and he will indeed take a little getting used to, although I'm really enjoying his new companion, Amy Pond. She feels like a combination of Rose, Martha and Donna.

3. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't sure where to put this, but I just wanted to make sure we all marked the 48th anniversary of Doctor Who's premier way back in 1963!

It's been a long, strange trip, and I've loved every minute of it!

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

48 years, 11 (official) Doctors, and an awful lot of attractive companions...

:D

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Happy 48th Anniversary Doctor, may you have another 48 :bolian:

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

may he have another 480

8. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe we neeed not worry, the good Doctor will be around in some form for quite some time to come!

9. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the first of 12 monthly installments of The Beginner's Guide to Doctor Who, made by a fan for the 50th anniversary:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k75AMQ6BZI[/yt]

10. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't know if this was posted already, but heres a nice little "Official" BBC documentary from 2003:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbdrks5jckI[/yt]

11. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

The Decoy Bride. OK, not Dr. Who, but there's a Dr. Who in it. Also been watching eps of The Last Detective. Again, Dr. Who is in it, it's just not Dr. Who. :)

12. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

And if any of them has herpes, or lord knows what else, it's not the bottles of beer on the wall song where they go "take one in then pass it around..."

UncleRogi and Snick27 like this.
  14. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Thank you so kindly for your post, it was so very helpful to me. I am very glad to read I don't need to have seen everything before to start watching. I've tried to watch Doctor Who before but I just could not get into it, but I'm going to try again in October when the new Doctor starts.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  15. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

It's a bit of a dilemma. Example my husband wants to get every single Doctor Who and just work his way through it. Okay I respect that but I have seen one of the original ones and it was black and white and so quaintly old fashioned. Not that I have any cause to be ageist etc. I just wonder if I have the energy to plough through all those episodes. Yet I have memories as a child watching Doctor Who with my brother. We were truly the stereotype kids hiding behind the couch!

Then at some stage, they (the production), seemed to stop making it until gosh, Eccleston?

There is a great fondness for Tom Baker as Doctor Who. I'm rambling now. However you could probably get into it and get the feel for it if you go in from the Tennant era. Just bear in mind about then they rather romanticised his connection with his companion and in some respects that messes with the story telling. Just my opinion.

Of course if you want to cut through all that exhaustive 'homework' watch fresh with Jodi ;)

Marynator likes this.
  16. Marynator

Marynator Queen of all the Realms Premium Member

Oh dear, I certainly couldn't go and watch like thirty or forty years of old episodes, lol. I would've been very leery about venturing at all if this thread didn't reassure me I don't need to. :)

My sister tried to get me to watch with David Tennant and I just had such a hard time, but I feel she probably picked like a really poor choice of episode, lol. She showed me this two-parter that looked like it was some sort of a climax to a long story or something, like the whole episode was so very intense and I didn't have any clue at all what was going on, and it was like cheesier than James Kirk's Star Trek, lol. I never watched Doctor Who again after that, it just so totally turned me off, but I'm sure she loved the episode but just didn't understand she didn't pick a good one for a newbie. :)

I don't know if I'd even be all that interested if we weren't getting a woman Doctor, I feel it's going to be very fresh and probably a very wonderful place for someone like me to start watching. :)

Oh and dear your rambling is just lovely, lol I babble ridiculously when I really get going.

Refuge likes this.
  17. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IMO, the best Tennant episode is "Blink", and he's barely in it.

Those Weeping Angels are no joke....

18. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

You know they would have to rate as one of the most menacing terrors ever. So icily cold and then hideous brutal teeth to make your blood run cold. And there's that blinking thing. I'm blinking flat out just thinking about it.

UncleRogi likes this.
  19. UncleRogi

UncleRogi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The silly one is the Statue of Liberty....like no one saw that moving...and that it could
    make it across the harbor without being seen.

Refuge likes this.
  20. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

This week’s episode of Manifest might be of interest to any Weeping Angels fans. Totally creeped me out! Check it out if you can. I don’t think it was intentional, but it still gave me a Docotor Who vibe.