Holoaddiction 12 Steps Recovery Program

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Jan 27, 2015.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you think they have basements and donuts and folding chairs?

I bet there is NOTHING about it that makes the rest of us feel better about ourselves. Nothing. You probably show up at a Starfleet style resort (sterile, vaguely pinkish couches) and a Betazoid squeezes your childhood and then eventually you would rather lie down on a nice solid replicated wooden bench and hold it real close then ever frolic with photons again. It's very sad. But it lacks the grubby reality of today, well it lacks it as we have seen. But they only show us what they want us to think is the FUTURE.. I bet there is a Jim Carroll of the 24th century writing The Parrises Squares Diaries about his holodeck addiction but it's probably highly restricted reading material because even as you read about his childhood squeezing and falls from photon free grace you want, you really really want to be there with him. In the deck, with the dream. And they can't allow that.

There will be no Holodeck Addict Chic.

They will kill Bohemia, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ROOM FOR BOHEMIA ON FED EARTH. Ironic, that Roddenberry, Mr. Free Love invented this future full of graffiti free parks and stiff talkers.

Look at how so many fans recoil at Lwaxana, she was bohemian socialite.

Janeway was as uptight as Picard and Sisko.

The future is like some horrible cult we're all evolving into and you can see it every single day right in front of us. The drive towards order, civic pride, eradication of litter and making us all look like that huge park that surrounds the Florida Disneyworld which everyone thinks is magical and lovely but is actually a PRISON. Because of all the stuff you are not ever allowed to do there, it's the testing park for Earth, the Future.

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All the messed up, interesting people left Earth and went to the dirty planets like Farius Prime to gamble and wear nappies while hookers slap their faces and shout...."you're a disgusting anal discharge, you whore!!"

Meanwhile on the streets of Earth, people walk around with hand wash in every one of their pockets

It would tickle me so much if there was an episode of Trek where Picard walked into the holodeck and found that his feet were sticking to the floor......."RIKER!!"

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

This perception of the Roddenberry 24th century of everything being stiff and sterile is pretty inaccurate and seems to come from an overgeneralization of the attitude of a handful of characters that completely misses the point.

Eliminating self destructive behaviors doesn't mean you're walking around all the time lecturing people on subspace field modulation. The Doctor's holo-family from that episode of Voyager (After B'elana adjusts it) is probably a better representation of how life actually is on Earth.

And this idea that everything pleasurable has to be self destructive is the result of a successful marketing campaign by beer and cigarette companies.

4. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

I am curious though: When you sleep in holodeck quarters, what happens to the dirt that's oozing out of your body? Is it absorbed and recycled somehow or does it stay there and drops on the floor when the program ends?

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

"Hi. I'm Reg B., and I'm a holoholic."

6. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

I thought they only gave the first name in HA meetings.:lol: