Abrams and Cruise Reuniting for Mission: Impossible 4

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Jun 11, 2009.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I liked the first one, hated the second and was apathetic about the third. I liked the old show quite a bit and these movies just seem to be routine action films that just don't do much for me barring the first one.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never seen the TV series. As for the movies, I liked the first and third ones. The second one was the longest and most boring sunglasses commercial I've ever seen.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You've obviously never watched all seven seasons (and counting) of CSI: Miami. :p

4. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention other original cast members opting out of cameo roles that would have only seen them killed off at the beginning of the movie. Both were wise decisions, IMO.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes, although you have to give perverse respect to how vain Cruise is that he has to play the bad guy for half of his screen time!

6. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

So, will Abrams get Leonard Nimoy to reprise his old MI character?

I never saw the second movie. The series had 3 movies over 10 years...has this "we'll dredge it up to keep Cruise's career alive and make money off a premise that's been reduced to memorable theme music" quality.

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    That would be awesome!

In spite of Cruise's ego, I think the movies are very good. The 1st one was an excellent international espionage thriller (although it took me a few viewings to understand anything about the plot). The 2nd one is kinda stupid but has a few good scenes in it. I was really impressed with the 3rd one, especially how Abrams began to restore the team aspect of Mission Impossible rather than just making another Tom Cruise vanity project. They're on the right track. I'd like to see a 4th one (and I was much happier with what Abrams did with M:I:III than with what he did to Star Trek).

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Will his team come back in MI-4...especially that lovely women who blew up that lovely car in number 3 :eek:

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I absolutely loved Abram's Mission: Impossible III so I am thrilled he's returning to the franchise in some capacity. It was definitely the best film of the series so far.

10. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

The second movie sucked hugely and should be de-canonized anyway (and since Cruise was marrying a different woman instead of Thandie Newton in III, I like to pretend it was ;)).

The first and the third ones were enjoyable though... I'm just not sure which one was better.

11. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh. More Hollywood bullshit. First the endless volley of remakes, now the ever continuing endless volley of unnecessary sequels.

12. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After the way Abrams nearly screwed up STAR TREK, I don't think I want him back helming MI4. What is he going to do? Hire another Evangeline Lilly lookalike? Or bring back his previous EL lookalike, Michelle Monaghan?

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Can't say I saw the resemblance myself. :confused:

14. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good news. The 3rd was the best of the bunch. Abrams is perfect for the MI franchise due to his work on Alias (which I'm sure was inspired by the original MI tv series in part at least.

15. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like a good idea to me, I just hope that Paramount will go for it as well.:techman:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

If they do that, I will applaud wholeheartedly.

Actually, the first time I heard of a M:I film, the rumor was that Tom Cruise would simply be playing Jim Phelps himself. I wonder why they didn't do that. Did he think the character name 'Ethan Hunt' sounded better? :p

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Better than Mike Hunt.

18. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

First was a classic, second was a snoozes fest, and the 3rd was action action action....i would though like to see the 4Th movie move back to a team of IM agents like the first movie had.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you want your modern day Mission: Impossible/A-Team, it's on the USA network and is called Burn Notice.

20. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

Ha, that is exactly what I think of whenever i watch Burn Notice.