Favorite Star Trek film director?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lucky, Aug 17, 2013.

?

Favorite Star Trek Director?

1. Robert Wise (The Motion Picture)

12 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Nicholas Meyer (The Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country)

34 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Leonard Nimoy (The Search for Spock, The Voyage Home)

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. William Shatner (The Final Frontier)

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. David Carson (Generations)

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Jonathan Frakes (First Contact, Insurrection)

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. Stuart Baird (Nemesis)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. J.J. Abrams (Star Trek [2009], Into Darkness)

14 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

This. And as an aspiring filmmaker myself, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the moment in Into Darkness near the beginning, when Kirk's face fills the screen, asking, "What would he do?" Slow, slight pan and change of focus, as McCoy (closer to the camera) now fills the screen, saying, "He'd let you die." Slight pan and change of focus back to Kirk, as he takes in Bones's words....

It's so understated, and yet so powerful--and it perfectly captures the emotions of the moment--and watching that, I thought, "I don't care what anyone else says...THAT is the work of a great director!"

JJ gets my vote. And personally...I don't have a problem with the lens flares.

2. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Nicholas Meyer. TWOK and TUC are among the best films in the bunch. Listening to the commentaries and interviews it's clear hat Meyer understood and respected the characters. Although Gene disapproved, I loved his more naval bent to the series (It was always there, but Meyer greatly expanded those parallels).

as a quick note, and this doesn't factor into my ranking, I loved his Sherlock Holmes books. :)

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And don't forget Time After Time.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wise was the best director and TMP the best-directed. But he came from a generation where directors weren't "stars" and didn't call attention to themselves, and people didn't go to movies to say "Look at that directing!" What he does is straightforward, deceptively simple, effective and great storytelling.

5. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

That's not really true. Wise was an editor for Orson Welles' and Welles was a rockstar amongst directors before there was such a thing as a rock star. ;)

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well... yep, I've got to concede on Welles.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'd throw in Hitchcock as an early superstar director as well.

8. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^ there were a lot more if you go by the auteur theory lol

9. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

(Data voice): Indeed. I must also offer the examples of Howard Hawks, John Ford, Sam Fuller, Billy Wilder, Frank Capra, Cecile B. DeMille...

10. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Had to go with Meyer. While I feel TUC itself is somewhat overrated, I do feel that Meyer overall gave us the best mix of character, intrigue, and action.

Wise gave us a fully formed future reality, though rather sterile and lacking in the very humanity the story tried to embrace. I place the blame more on Roddenberry's evolving image of the future he was trying to write about, but Wise was at the helm directing the actors. I adore the film, but not my favorite direction (editing did no favors here either)

TWOK came with a literal vengeance, retaking the pace, the fun, the humanity and the foibles of our beloved crew. Still my favorite film of the series, although far from the most technically advanced or deepest of story lines, this gave us a simultaneously vulnerable and pompous Kirk.

Nimoy's outings contributed great character, respect for the original series and a wonderful romp with TVH. Understated, proficient, and very impressive for a freshman director.

Shatner -- what can I say, boundless enthusiasm but never bought the story, the guest aliens or the Kirk/Spock dynamic here. This is a cartoon. Some moments of interest, but not a cohesive whole. The budget may be partially to blame, but it is also the director's job to work within the limits set by TPTB (see TWOK)

Carson did a good job with the script he was handed. The Ent-D never looked better and again there are some nice moments, but nothing to break free of the cookie-cutter script.

Frakes gave us all the enthusiasm Shatner had, but worked much more successfully within the scope of the productions he was given. Talented, assured, and very well-done, that is till he was handed the mess that INS became.

Baird can handle action schlock, but please stay far, far away from ST

Abrams has brought the series into the 21st century of big-budget, big-action movie making and does an impeccable job at it. Financially successful, well received by the larger audience, pays homage to the trappings of TOS, but, like Shatner, is making cartoons, just highly entertaining, incredibly polished, very fun cartoons :)

11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Shatner impressed me with the scenes he filmed in the new set of a full-scale 1701-A hangar deck with two shuttlecrafts. Simply awesome.:bolian:

12. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree 100% with your assessment. +1 on every point. Well said.

13. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, I don't know. Abrams' directing style leaves me unenthused. I'm not sure that's an indictment of Abrams, though, but more of what style is expected today of big, blockbuster action films.

I was watching Independence Day last night -- one of my favorite of the big blockbuster films -- and afterward I started thinking about how dramatically filmmaking has changed in less than 20 years. Yes, Independence Day was big on action and special effects and all the other hallmarks of summer blockbusters. But it wasn't filmed in a way that made you think the director had ADD. Action scenes didn't have to have a camera angle change every 1.2 seconds.

I find that the frentic pace of modern filmmaking, especially of action scenes, is so fast as to make it difficult to follow what's actually happenening. Pair that up with other modern Hollywood techniques of the day, like ShakyCam, and it makes it difficult for me to watch a modern film.

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

LOL, and I also agree with this post...and is Independence Day really nearly 20 years old? Wow. I feel old. I remember seeing that in the theater. It made me cry, though I think I was feeling homesick at the time so I was a little emotional anyway.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

A number of you are conflating direction with editorial and script.

16. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A director is often heavily involved with both.

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Yes, often but not always, and the act of directing isn't the same as working with the writer in preproduction.

18. Anika Hanson

Anika Hanson Captain Captain

Nicholas Meyer.

Honourable mentions (in no order)

Leonard Nimoy
    Jonathan Frakes
    Suart Baird
    JJ Abrams

19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Glad to see Meyer with such a lead. I think it is well deserved. :techman:

20. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not surprised but disappointed Meyer is winning.

I voted for Nimoy, as I thought he directed two of the more enjoyable.