Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It's done, server down, presumably back in 4 hours.

Prepared or not, Season 7: here we come! :)

2. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I'm wondering how I'll find the time to get all 7 characters through both the Omega Force AND Romulan reputation system. And support fleet projects too.

3. Timelord Victorious

I stopped wondering that, when S5 rolled around and put all eggs into one basket.
    Been a lot easier since then.

4. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

I'm just sticking to grinding 2-3 toons up (which shouldn't be that difficult)

I've already met all the resource requirements for the first tier for all three of them. Cost about 440550 EC in total.

For the first tier in both reps, it should take 1 elite STF and 1 Romulan daily patrol (not counting the leveling up project of course).

5. Timelord Victorious

Server still down, but Patch is up.

6. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

40% patched! Can't wait to unleash my Chimera on S7!

7. Timelord Victorious

branflakes got people curious. Apparently there will be another unknown ship be released with season 7 that is not a lockbox ship, not a c-stor ship. It will be a fed ship, it will NOT be the Ambassador and it will be part of a special promotion linked to the community.

8. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Tier 5 Connie! 0.01% chance to get from a special Latinum Lockbox that needs 5 keys to open! :guffaw:

9. apoagathos

apoagathos Ensign Newbie

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to S7, mainly because not long from now, I will be able to get my Ambassador class. :adore:

11. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have not tried mine yet:) How is that ship anyways?
    (Not sure if to give it to my Tac or Eng toon..both would be good options, though)

I am looking forward to try the season 7..and check the reputation system in action.
    The Vesta-class is interesting also.
    Always happy to see new content in the game:techman:

12. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

My Chimera is a little fire starter! Tried it on my Sci and Tac captains. I die... very little. :devil:

13. Amaris

Oh man, New Romulus looks awesome!

14. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Well, the front page now looks like that godawful Valor MMO whose ads pop up all over the net, just with a Starfleet uniform on... :rolleyes:

15. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Getting a crash to desktop even after trying a force verify. Not entirely sure whether to reinstall from scratch or retry...

16. Amaris

Hope you get everything working. So far, I have been very impressed with what they've done. It feels like WoW, but with Star Trek, which is all I've ever wanted. Add this to me getting my Ambassador class when it's released, and I will be one happy Trekkie. :adore:

17. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

After reviewing all the stealth changes Cryptic has made today, I only have one serious complaint:

Shifting ALL item drops AND dilithium to OLD fleet actions WITHOUT even updating them to make them interesting again.

Thank You Cryptic, you've guaranteed very few players will be playing Hive Onslaught or Into The Hive.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

How about pretending there would be DIL in the STFs, all the way through Tribble testing, and then just not including that when it goes live? Nice little con job there.

I dunno, think i'm starting to lose interest in this game again. They just don't have anything FUN in here anymore, and the changes and updates just seem more mean-spirited now than helpful. It's a boring grind, and they don't even want to hide it. Feels like they know it's going south, and want to see how much they can squeeze out of it before everyone bails.

Can't remember the last time I was really excited about this game, but think it was towards the first run of the 3-4 FEs. Things were on a big high note, they were churning out content, things were good. Then they took a year off, and things weren't really the same after that...

And then we get the unusual combination of excuses that they are understaffed whenever they are asked about something, and bragging that they just doubled their staff whenever anyone questions their financial stability. Kinda like how they told us they have dedicated staff that are just writers, so just because they haven't released missions doesn't mean work isn't going on there. Then after the year of hell, those missions don't actually come out. What was that guy doing again?

Game is just WORK now, there's no fun or excitement. Go do X, grind DIL, then grind Y for rep points, then do mindless activity Z for Fleet Marks. Boring, repetitve, no challenge, no story. And they've essentially killed most of their endgame with the Rep system. STF as least were good for reliable DIL, junk loot to sell for EC, and a challenge if nothing else. And of course the carrot of maybe getting tech, but at least getting salvage to equip ships and BOFFs with decent Mk XII gear. Now, it's just Omega Marks. You pour them into the rep system, and quickly max out. Get your extra skills, but whatever tech you didn't manage to get on every toon after running it 1000 times before, and then what? Why would you ever play a STF again after that? You'd be literally getting nothing, and wasting your time. Way to think that through...

SW:TOR is going free on Thursday, think I'm going to check that out. Not that their system is guaranteed to be any better, might even be worse, but it'll be NEW, and those DEVs haven't made a history out of disappointing and/or (usually and) lying to me.

19. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just for fun: Syberghost, you're in the know with the Cryptic staff. How do THEY think Season 7 went over? Excited about it? Compared to other ones, this feels like a quiet, 'get it over with' launch. Like they KNOW they're fucking us, and just want it to be done with so we can all move on...

Just seems shocking that a whole new season launch is going over with this big a thud. No excitement, angry players, not even a splashscreen on the loader announcing the damn thing happened. (Still trying to sell us DOFF packs instead. Important, as they just made getting them in-game more expensive so that we'd buy these for cash). Only positive in a sea of negative changes is I guess we got a pretty new map to grind on. Same repetitive missions, rep system, another resource sink in the embassy to have to do MORE grinding on, but hey, it's new content, right? Right?

20. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    In TOR you can't even do endgame if you're a free player. At all; only subscribers can do the raids.

I've been on kind of a break awaiting the new content, and they've been doing their usual "too busy to talk right before the launch, and then everybody's taking a break right after", but I'll try to get some impressions as people start coming back into communication again.

One thing that's happened is that it's already destroyed my fleet; the other "anchors" of our base progression have left for a larger fleet, and I can't make up the difference without spending cash, which I'm already at my self-imposed limit on, so I'm probably going to be taking my main into a new fleet soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.