Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Steven

Steven Admiral Admiral

I just had a really bizarre experience... I sailed back to my main home from my new sandstone palace (really, more of a shack at the moment ;)) to grab something I forgot. When I got there, my game suddenly went black and I had to force quit Minecraft. I reloaded that world, and I was back in front of my main house and everything looked ok, so I grabbed what I needed and hopped back in my boat.

And that's when I discovered a line of 4 boats just floating there in the water between my two houses, and a 5th boat at the dock of my sandstone house. They're still there after exiting Minecraft normally and coming back.

Free boats! There's a fourth one in the water just out of visibility range. :D

(edit: linked image as it was a little big...)

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Hey, can't argue with free boats!

I am most of the way done excavating my 50x50 quarry. Yes, I've been working on it a while, just a little here and there.

I finally dug some tunnels to connect the quarry to my spawn base. I like having everything linked together underground so I don't have to travel overland if I don't want to. Also makes it a lot easier to put down a minecart route at some future time.

3. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm working on an interesting project on my singleplayer world while waiting for the multiplayer server to come back up. I'm working on an underwater tunnel made out of glass, and I hope it works as intended, as a sort of underwater viewing area.

4. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I have one of those half-finished, myself. What I have done looks cool, but it's such a pain in the ass to build... haha.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey all, nice to see a Minecraft thread in here. Been playing for about three weeks and I'm hooked on the darn thing. Don't have any screenshots to post yet, since I still haven't found which directory the darn games been saving them. Currently on my third world, which has been my longest lasting one so far. I basically built a home inside a cliff face on the edge of very deep water.

So far my major building projects have been a huge underground room for ore, (a dozen diamonds so far, whoo!), a looong raised path and underground tunnel leadign back to the spawnpoint, and currently my first tower.

I'm just happy that a game by an idie developer that doesn't really on the latest oh-so-pretty 3d graphics is tunring into such a hit! Not to say the game isn't pretty in its own way. I've seen some pretty awesome vistas during my in game wanderings.

Since I don't have pics yet, I figured I'd share some links.

Coe's Quest - A great walkthrough/lets play video series. Currently at 125 episodes. I learned a lot watching this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wGl4zj6FZ4

The Shaft - A weekly podcast dedicated to all things Minecraft.
    http://www.theshaftpodcast.com/

The Yogscast: Survival Island - These British guys have a whole series of videos that turn Minecraft into an adventure game. I just find them funny as hell.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcsN3d7eKgY

(after watching these guys I just had to track down and get the steampunk style texture they were using)

The Yogscast: Planetoids - One of the wilder game mods.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVNMOW5pWc&feature=relmfu

6. Canadave

Start -> Run -> "%appdata%" is the easiest way to find the Minecraft folder. It should be the first one in there.

7. Cutter John

Canadave. I've tried that before but this time it actually worked!

So here we go.

Found this the other night. Talk about hitting pay dirt!

[​IMG]

Heres a shot of my main base from next to my wheat island. Living area is in the cave on the left, while the hut on the right shelters the top of my main mineshaft. And what can I say, I love waterfalls. And I really love this new texture pack!

[​IMG]

A pretty little garden behind the house.

[​IMG]

And finally, a view from the top of my currently under construction tower. I got tired of having to fight my way back home when I died, so I built a raised pathway from the spawn point, tunnelled under that mountain range in the background, and right to my front porch. Of course now with the new bed update, its kinda pointless. :p Maybe if I can mine enough iron I'll turn it into a minecar track.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. Canadave

^ Nice setup you have going there. What texture pack are you using? I really like the looks of it.

9. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Godsdamn creepers, there's always one waiting to get you. :lol:

10. Owain Taggart

Damn, Cutter. That's looking awesome!

11. Cutter John

Yeah, tell me about it. Damn creepers. I've fought a lot of game monsters, but I don't think theres ever been one that keeps me on edge as much as these bastards.

As for the texture pack, I got it here:
    http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=77619 I really love the steampunk look it gives everything. Even replaces the sun and moon with more realistic ones.

You're too kind. Thanks! How about some more shots of your place?

Here are a couple shots of my just completed tower.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/276900/tower.jpg

I was originally going to enclose the tree farm on top in a giant stone and glass room, until I suddenly realized I was building a giant penis. :cardie:

The worst part of setting up the flaming torch at the very top. Vertigo much?
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/276900/2011-02-28_14.31.32.png

And you know you've been playing too much when you decide your tower needs a warp core.
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-7/276900/warp.jpg

12. Robert Maxwell

I finally got around to building a portal in my current world. I'll take a video at some point but right now my world consists of the following:

* Small spawn base at the base of a mountain, right on the water. Flashing redstone torches let me spot it from a distance.
    * Attached to the spawn base is an underwater viewing area made of glass. Just for show.
    * Also attached is a 12x15 (I think, it's been a while) shaft down to bedrock. To the bottom of that is connected a large area I excavated (only to 2 height, though.) There are also some parallel shafts I did some mining in. I've neglected this area for a while.
    * Stretching across the top of the aforementioned shaft is an enclosed walkway that leads to my underground tree farm and storage area. There's also a small "manufacturing" room with a workbench and furnace.
    * At the back of the tree farm is another corridor. To the right, there's a vertical shaft with a ladder that goes up to a castle I built at the top of a nearby mountain. It's nothing special right now. It mostly ends up full of animals.
    * To the left, there's a tunnel that goes directly to my quarry/castle footprint, which currently stands at (I think) 11 blocks from bedrock. So, I'm almost there. There are some attached caves that I built walkways to so I can still access them.
    * Attached to my tunnel that leads to the quarry there was a small cave which I dug out to be a bit bigger and put a Nether portal in. I'll probably enshrine it to make it look nice, or something.

Where I come out in the Nether, there is this awesome lava waterfall directly to my left. Pretty neat.

So, yeah, I'll try to get a video of all this soon...

13. Owain Taggart

I'll look into getting some more when the server is back in operation, Cutter. Right now, it's waiting for one of the server mods to be updated. It's more of a back-end mod rather than anything that really changes the game. It's more about maintenance and backups.

14. Robert Maxwell

To any of you who run or play on MC servers: who do you recommend to host them? Should I just get a stock VPS and load MC on it myself, or go with one of the companies selling MC servers (preloaded)?

I already have a VPS I run my websites from, though I'm not about to slaughter it by running Minecraft on it. Just wondering what advantages there are to a DIY approach or if the Minecraft server hosts provide adequate tools.

15. Owain Taggart

I'll have to ask my friend as I'm not sure who he uses as a host as I'm not into those details.

I do have a problem on my singleplayer game though. I mentioned I was building an underwater viewing tunnel. Well, I completed the tunnel last night, and I put doors at each end to close it off, and if I open the doors back up, the water in it doesn't flow anymore, but the problem is that the water is in there at all. Do I use a bucket to scoop the water out?

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^It'd be easier to just fill it with dirt and then remove the dirt than running back and forth with buckets.

17. Robert Maxwell

Yeah, cover the water with dirt and that'll get rid of it. When you pick the dirt up the water should be gone.

18. Owain Taggart

Do I have to cover it all the way? Cause it's quite a long tunnel, making it easy to drown in before I get the job done.

19. Robert Maxwell

Well, you only have to cover the "spring" blocks (the ones that look like still water). Any "running" water will automatically dissipate if you cover the spring block. If it's all underwater, though, you are going to have to block up the whole thing because they're all spring blocks.

Can you take a screenie or something to show us how bad it is?

20. Cutter John

Yeah, getting rid of water is fairly easy. Its trying to level it out that I have trouble with. Theres an inlet near my house that looks more like white water rapids than a section of ocean. Haven't been able to figure out how to level it.

Let us know how things go with the portal, Robert. The Nether is an interesting place to say the least.

And if you guys are willing the make your servers public, I'd love to visit. Single player is fun, but it gets a bit lonely sometimes, knowing you're the only person in the world.