Phase II begins re-filming "Mind Sifter"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by PattyW, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last Redshirt

Last Redshirt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Can't wait. Phase II is definitely one of, if not the best, Trek fan production I've seen.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Anyone who wants to can find out what the fights were about via the search function here. Everyone's words are preserved in those threads. If someone wants to see the actual history of it, they have every right to.

Whether it should be discussed here in this thread is a different matter. But if someone wants to see those conversations and decide for themselves, they should absolutely be afforded that opportunity.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Andreich may not be working with Phase II any longer, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's not familiar with what state various productions were at the time she left. I'm sure GSchnitzer will post a correction if necessary.

4. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

Yes, GSchnitzer would be the "grain of salt" with which we'd take those anecdotes of andriech. So her input on those matters shouldn't be regarded as of total unimportance.
    And as long as she doesn't give away subjects the PII-Team considers "secret", there's nothing wrong with it, I guess.
    Sometimes even James, who obviously follows these threads quietly, intervenes when he feels, something shouldn't be discussed openly or is just false recitation of things that happened.

5. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

It's a pity Origins was shelved as it was a smart idea, apparantly Gerrold has said a reshoot would be a new script - so start from scratch.

The Holiest Thing looks good, there was to be a 'special scene' with an older Scotty post-Relics - Cawley says they are hoping to refilm that.

Obviously Mind-Sifter's literally just shot so that's only starting the editing process.

Although Continues shoots and releases faster and is more of a carbon copy of TOS, I still have a great love for P2 and what they achieve. It's 'USP' of course which I personally love is the edging towards the film era, with the changing of the ship, Chekov's promotion to security chief, Xon, Peter etc. Plus of course incorporating elements from its unmade namesake which makes that series feel a little less 'lost'.

6. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

About the current status for Origins: damn...kinda disappointed the current version will be shelved as I really liked the two Youtube trailers plus the short film on Alec Peters' site. I've long been jonesing for any sort of episode/flashback/whatever with characters wearing CAGE-era uniforms. My only gripe was seeing the actor they chose for Pike, while he performed well, played Pike as a screaming hothead whereas Jeffrey Hunter didn't give the impression he would so easily blow his top, IMO.

But I really like all the Mind-sifter photos and behind-the-scenes tidbits they've shared over the last little while, they are all really interesting. I was really impressed with Brian Gross in the ''Going Boldly'' vignette as he finally brought back the Kirk I've always loved, the one I cheered for when he beat back the Doomsday Machine and the one I gasped along with when his son was murdered by the Klingons. I have little doubt Gross will ace it in Mind-sifter...

For future consideration, it would be great to see the return of the main crew wearing their dress uniforms...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  7. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Reading between the lines and following Phase II posts on Facebook (and some of the individuals who helped with the Mind-Sifter shoot) I sorta get the impression that Phase II feels re-energized, and with the addition of some new people and hopefully some better audio gear I am guessing they will impress many of us when we see Mind-sifter.

I haven't read Mind-sifter in years but recall absolutely loving it when it was first published. (I've never read the author's original version.)

8. Bixby

Agreed with Duane...I forgot to mention, hopefully beginning with Mind-Sifter, Phase 2's episodes will be much tighter and all of the side players (Xon, Prescott, et al) will still get featured in an active role but less where you need to have seen all the other episodes to follow their personal arc (for instance, Peter Kirk).

Lastly, they showed a recent photo with their new Uhura, McCoy and Sulu, assuming their latest Chekov (Jonathan Zungre) is still the same?

9. doubleohfive

There's certainly been an "all over the place" quality to their writing for the last few outings. I don't happen to find David Gerrold to be the greatest writer, but I'm certainly willing to keep an open mind for the next episode's release before I make any quality judgments.

I disagree about featuring the side players.

If there was one thing that "Kitumba" failed at completely, it was shoehorning in so many damn characters into the piece. Everyone went nuts over Continues "Lolani" when McKennah was featured more than McCoy (forgetting that Michele Specht is an actress whereas Larry Nemecek isn't) but nobody seemed to really have any problems with the main cast in "Kitumba" being relegated to shrunken parts to accommodate nonsensical scenes like the one with DeSalle, Chekov, and Prescott.

I'm all for these supporting characters having a presence on Phase II, but not at the expense of the main characters (unless of course said supporting character is the focus of the story.)

Just my two cents.

10. Bixby

Well I actually agree with you, what I meant by giving them an active role was that I'm ok with giving them a few lines and camera time when appropriate to the needs of the story. If they can come up with a story such as the Naked Time, then by all means give some a tiny bit of a spotlight. But I speak for myself that I think it's high time Kirk, Spock and McCoy become once again the main focus of these webisodes.

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If there are times when only one of the three main characters is available, it's fine for that character (McCoy, for example) to be involved in a subplot with secondary characters. But he needs to be a primary character in that subplot, not simply reacting to events by others.

12. S'kai

S'kai Captain Captain

I am very sad to report that Mark Burchett, who directed Bread and Savagery and the vignette Going Boldly passed away today, July 12, 2014. He was also responsible for bringing a number of key people onto our production team.

He will be sorely missed.

13. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

My sympathies to all concerned. There's too much sadness going around lately.

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

My sympathies also.

15. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Sorry for your loss.

16. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Well then, what's the purpose of this board? "A place to discuss, share, ruminate on fanfilms...but only if you are currenlty involved in the fanfilm you are discussing because otherwise whatever you have to say is irrelevant"? No. These boards are filled with people sharing and discussing things about fanfilms they are not involved in - and until I am made aware of a board rule that says "feel free to share about or discuss any fanfilms - as long as you were not previously part of their crew. Previous crew members are banned from discussion fanfilms they were once part of" I'll still do so.

And if you aren't going to actually read my posts, why are you bothering to skim them? I mention my previous involvement as a professional "grain of salt" so people can choose to do with the information what they will based on that. As in... "Okay, well, according to Patty, in November of last year they were missing key footage to finish "Origins"...but my opinion is that, in the time since Patty left, they found a hard drive with all the footage on it and are now just not releasing "Origins" to be jerks."

Mark Burchett also directed the first "Mind-Sifter" and Cawley's "The Wild Wild West" fanfilm. He was a well know "B" movie director and was quite proud of the #1 "B" movie director's review of one of his films "The absolute BEST zombie stripper movie ever made!"

Probably the easiest director I have ever worked with in either film or theatre - he understood everyone's role and appreciated his entire crew. He's responsible for the casting of Brian Gross (something he was very proud of) and for, among other people, bringing in the DP that shot the new version of "Mind-Sifter" this last June. He was currently working on editing "Bread and Savagery". A good friend and a sweet guy - I am missing him already. Now I'll never know how the sequel to "Plan 9 From Outer Space" ends...bye Mark.

17. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

Amen!

I'm looking forward to this, hopefully, turning around in Phase II's future releases so far filmed. Rick Chamber's first submitted treatment was passed on to the Senior Exec simply and solely because he "got the Kirk,Spock,McCoy focus and relationships/roles as Roddenberry defined them perfectly". So I hope that "Bread and Savagery" and "The Holiest Thing" will reflect that.

18. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Fair enough. I apologize for stepping on any toes, and I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

19. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

If you read the comments that follow, it's clear that I, not you, stepped on toes. There are people here spoiling to revive this fight. I was roundly condemned for suggesting it wasn't a great idea to fight about this again. But you can do a search of older threads and get the information that way. And just to be clear, I am not a fan filmmaker. I just watch fan films. I was not directly involved in the issues, although I have spent a lot of time listening to those who were.

20. doubleohfive

A tragedy to be sure. This week has not been a good one for the fan film community.

My sincerest condolences to all in the Phase II family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.