The Worf & Troi romance... what are your thoughts on it?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Lance, Jan 16, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you talking about K'heylar who pretty much thinks all things Klingon are stupid? Yeah sorry, but that doesn't fit Worf's dream profile.

So say nothing about refusing proposals despite getting pregnant and hiding the kid from dad just don't lead to happy endings. Oh and the Duras stabbing too kinda makes it hard for them unless Worf is into necrophilia.

Dax was basically a pale skinned, blue eyed Klingon half the time in the way she acted. Troi... I could just picture her nagging Worf all the time about those weapons, and Klingon statues and stuff in his quarters. :p

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Which is why he sexed her up, pined for her, wanted to "take the oath" with her and avenged her death.

3. R. Star

I didn't say he didn't care for her, I said she didn't fit his dream Klingon woman profile. There's a difference.

4. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that that their "relationship"- to the extent it was developed- was really more about her helping him parent Alexander becoming close to him through that process but it seemed like an odd romantic pairing which, thankfully, didn't really go anywhere. For the record, I never much liked the Dax/Worf pairing much either but we at least knew that Dax was a Klingon aficionado long before Worf showed up, so their pairing made at least a little more sense.

5. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

My whole point was that worf saying he would only be with Kingon women was silly unless he planned to just never be with anyone because he put himself in a position where there were no klingon women. He'd have to learn how to like non-Klingons (which he did) or abstain.

As far as his Baby Mama goes:
    1. K'Ehelyr was half human
    2. She did not believe in Klingon ways and was by no means the traditional Klingon woman Worf was always pining over.
    3. She died

It was actually pointed out twice on DS9 that Worf had no experience with real Klingon women to match all his talk.

6. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I always wondered how Deanna could "last" when both of them did it lol.. Jadzia was at least more active and perhaps stronger physically than Deanna, but even then she got plenty of knocks and lumps lol..

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

TNG pulled a pair the spares move. Just like DS9 did with Ezri and Bashir in their last season.

8. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    While Dorn/Siritis had a genuine affection for each other, there was no chemistry. If I had to I would've gone Worf/Crusher. The two actors had a bit of a spark.

The Riker/Troi was the only believable relationship there. I would've just play it to the end and wrap the series.

9. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Chakotay/Seven of Nine in the VOY finale, of course.

10. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Agreed on both counts

11. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I agree that gradually they became closer friends since about S5, and I liked the concept in 'parallels', a relation between them in prime-universe just felt contrived to me -- kind of a 'let's pair up cast X and Y for fun and see what happens!'-feeling to it, rather than being a genuine relationship.

I guess I would 've been only marginally more surprised had Worf ended up with Riker, asking Troi permission for that.

12. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly;) it was stupid lets face it Troi and Will have a special relationship and I don't think Worf could break that up.

13. Lance

14. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I like Worf and Troi, but I prefer Riker and Troi. I was dismayed that they put Worf and Troi together when they did, so close to the end of TNG when I'd been rooting for Riker and Troi for so long. In the end, though, it all came out right. :)

15. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They are not meant for each other they are just not right for each other (and I am not saying that because he is Klingon) It was a stupid story line in the first place they just wanted to make conflict between Worf and Riker best friend v best friend.

16. Lance

If there's only one thing I think we should all be able to agree Insurrection and Nemesis got right, it was finally stopping with all the teasing and just putting those two together at long last. ;)

17. R. Star

Apparently Troi really liked Riker a lot to let him string her along for 7+ years, while he's off doing every alien chick of the week.

Troi really didn't date around that much... just that Ral guy from the Price, Worf, the Riker clone and... I can't think of anyone else really.

18. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really, really, really dislike contrived, exploit-it-when-it's-useful-ignore-it-when-it's-not romances, and if you ask me, which you kinda did, they don't get much more contrived, used when it's useful and ignored when it's not than Riker/Troi. I was sick of it before the end of the first season, so you can imagine how I felt when it dragged on and on and on and on and on. Therefore, I was delighted with the Worf/Troi romance. It felt far less contrived than Riker/Troi - at least it wasn't alternatively exploited and ignored...until Worf moved to DS9, when it was ignored. That's only thing I didn't like about it. They couldn't have allowed Worf 30 seconds of screentime to explain that he'd had this relationship that broke up when he got a new assignment? That was careless and unnecessary. But other than that, I liked it. A lot.

19. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Worf and Troi never worked. It felt fake. The writers really should have known better. Kind of like Trip and T'pol on Enterprise, they worked better to some degree but the real chemistry was with Archer. I guess the writers just wanted to go against what came naturally.

20. R. Star

I figured Worf and Troi were broken up by Generations. There was no indication at all they were together in any fashion. Heck he was letting Data shield her when the ship crashed. But yes, I agree a line in the movie about them not being together anymore would've been nice.