Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I believe, I choose to believe.

2. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

I have all of Star Trek on DVD. I'm not ponying up again unless some sets are destroyed or something. That wasn't a small investment, even if I did get a lot of sets used. At 51 and looking at perhaps another period of extended unemployment, not even a blip on my radar, LOL!

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I won't believe it until wither CBS or someone actually working on the project come forward and say its happening. :shrug:

4. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

Not this viewer. Besides, if I just want to watch TNG in SD I already have the DVDs, so Paramount isn't going to make any more money off of me unless that add some value to a new product.

I have Casablanca, The Day the Earth Stood Still, King Kong, The Maltese Falcon, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on Blu-ray. They're all B&W movies, and they all look much better on Blu-ray than DVD on a decent sized television. Even on my 25" computer monitor they look much better than on DVD.

---------------

5. LOKAI of CHERON

I'm with you, BillJ. But as Dr. Phlox might say... "optimism"!

6. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

So without trawling this entire thread, would this mean a widescreen version? Please, please, please.

7. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

If they do it, it will most likely just be HD, not widescreen. There's no reason to screw up the picture.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ TOS-R was not widescreen, so TNG-R probably will also not be.

Then again, the "Menage a Troi" footage that found its way into ENT's final episode was widescreen. How did they manage that? AFAIK, it wasn't cropped.

9. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Mildly cropped, mildly stretched side-to-side and had the framing mildly widened (i.e. they used some elements on either side of the frame that were cropped for the original broadcast). There's an analysis here. It looks okay for those shots, as long as you don't compare them to the original, but I wouldn't want to see that done to every frame of footage in the series.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Original footage has a safe action area with an aspect ratio of 1.37:1, its televised at 1.33:1. They used that, then stretched it by 5.8%. Top and bottom was cropped.

[​IMG]

RAMA

11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly certain it IS being worked on right now, but I am also fairly certain this poster doesn't know anything about it.

12. fugazi

fugazi Cadet Newbie

I wouldn't believe some random person either. But I have no reason to lie to you. I just heard the confirmation from someone at CBS-D last weekend and wanted to share my excitement with some like-minded individuals.

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well we'll see:techman:

14. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they screw this up with widescreen, my enthusiasm for this project goes from 110% to 0%. Widescreen does not magically make shows better, especially when it was not shot for that aspect ratio.
    If people want to watch it in "widescreen" they can hit the crop button on their remote, instead of chopping off part of the picture permanently.

15. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

My enthusiasm would go from 20% to 80% if it is a well done widescreen conversion.

If it can be done well, it will be at the hands of professionals and not your television. The part of the picture that gets cropped is unlikely to have anything more interesting going on than the additional image on the sides has.

---------------

16. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sure, they may be able to do it without damaging it too much overall, but then there's also the possibility of cutting off parts off people's heads in close up, gaining crap on the sides that was never meant to be seen or was never spotted when filming for TV, and changing the intended framing of shots, but for what? So you don't have to see black bars on your TV?
    It was filmed in 4:3, so that's how it is going to look artistically best. If was never framed with widescreen in mind, so it's always going to be a compromise. It's just a matter of how much it's compromised.
    Even watch the few seconds in TATV (or look at the pic earlier). Half of the guy's head is chopped off, and people are crammed claustrophically into frame. The rest of the shot may be 80-90% fine, but why compromise 10-20% of the framing of the shot at all when you don't have to?

I don't mind them redoing space shots with CG, or adding entirely new effects, because these can be done from scratch, so no compromise has to be made to convert the show to HD, and I'm not too much of a purist overall, so no worry there, but over 178 episodes, there are going to be compromises if they crop the show to widescreen. And if the show has to be compromised 10% to do it, then I see no point to do it at all.

Now I know how people feel with TOS-R.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

Here in the UK, CBS Action are currently screening TOS-R in 16:9 format. People, please trust me on this - it's friggin' horrible! Yes, it has been "intelligently" cropped so heads aren't cut off etc., and to be fair, a few shots actually work really well. But, overall, it feels extremely claustrophobic and destroys the superb work of the original cinematographers.

If TNG-R is similarly cropped for Blu-ray - I'm out.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But let's be honest. Can seasons three thru seven Riker afford to get any wider? :lol:

19. LOKAI of CHERON

Ouch!!!

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

But look at it the other way: now "The Pegasus" Riker and TATV Riker will finally match. ;)