Putting Borg in an agony booth

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Knight Templar, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

Not certain what forum this should go in so here.

I've always thought a viable tactic against the Borg would be to kidnap a number of Borg from a Borg ship (difficult, not impossible) and throw them in agony booths much like the Mirror Universe was shown to have and that it was implied the Klingons once used (they did have handheld agonizers like the Mirror guys).

What effect would that have on the remainder?

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

None?

They don't seem to be concerned with drones dying in droves during any attack until their shields adapt so they probably don't care about drones getting hurt, either, provided they can even feel pain.

3. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

never really seen any proof that the Borg even feel physical pain...

In First Contact, Worf cut the arm off a drone with a Klingon sword, and embedded the blade into the shoulder of another drone... neither showed any sign of physical pain that i remember, would have to rewatch to make sure though

M

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Pain is irrelevant.

If not, then you;d see the Borg running away every time the crew picks up pointy things.

5. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

Yet people seem to be in a lot of pain during the early stages of borg transformation. At what point do they no longer feel pain?

6. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It wouldn't surprise me if they disabled pain receptors in the body during assimilation. With all that nanotechnology and those fancy schmancy sensors, they wouldn't really have much need for physical pain in the way that us mere humans do.

7. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

*Puts a Borg in an agony chamber, and turns on TV's all around it showing Barney and Teletubby reruns constantly*

Mental torture?

M

8. Go Go L

Go Go L Ensign Newbie

Yeah, don't think an agony booth would work, as the collective would disable, ignore or delete the signal to protect itself. The best strategy, as was deployed, was to send a seemingly non threatening Borg generated signal to return a "non primary" response such as "sleep, eat, poo, etc."

I always thought a well constructed nanotech attack on the Borg would be effective. Something small and simple enough not to get "assimilated", but effective as a collective of their own.

9. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

It wouldn't surprise me if the person being assimilated feels pain the entire time.

But the Collective, controlling the body like a puppet, simply doesn't allow the body to react to that pain in any way.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard remember his time as a drone, so does Seven. The person "inside" the drone would experience the pain, feel it, remember it. The external drone displays no pain, but it's still there.

:)

11. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

Plus Data broke another's neck and the drone's face did not even flintch.

Plus we see those becomming Borg often getting amputated and butchered alive, so an agony booth would make whatever the borg did to them look like the amatuer hour.:p

12. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who knows if they actively are aware of this while they are drones, or if these memories only surface after they come back.

13. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

It seems to be implied by Picard's tear during his second round of surgery in BOBW that there is active awareness.

That's how I took it.

Also, Picard's words in "Family" sound like he was fully aware, as well.