is babylonian 5 any good

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tmosler, May 23, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoy the oddities of season 5, I think it's a lot of fun. Like a whole season of extras as well as some satisfying stories. And the finale should make anyone cry.

This thread is really making me yearn for a rewatch but I have to be strong! There are other things I'm supposed to be watching and a planned rewatch thread coming up.

2. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Babylon 5 was okay but not nearly as good as some fans believe it is (i.e. the holy grail of televised sci-fi), the only great performances were delivered by the three ambassadors, everyone else was somewhere between meh and decent.
    Season 1 was dull as dirt, I don't care about bits and pieces becoming interesting after I've seen the entire story, it's still horrible, the only episodes I recommend are the Babylon 4 one and the season finale.
    Seasons 2 - 4 are great but after wrapping up the shadow war and the earth alliance stuff it was back to being boring in season 5.
    The movies (except for "In the Beginning") are crap, Crusade is awful, The Lost Tales should have never been told ... it really seems the Babylon 5 universe sucks except for three years, when it became interesting.

Oh, I forgot the effects, they're bad. I don't care if they were good for their time, good for their time still equals bad because cgi wasn't even close to good enough for weekly television (there's a reason Star Trek still used models), the Babylon 5 effects look cartoony and don't blend well with the live action footage.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

All true.

But here's the amazing thing about the shitty effects... You acclimatize after significant immersion.

4. teacake

I never quite acclimatized to the Centauri throne room. I'm pretty sure I could whip something up that looked better than that in my kitchen.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Want shitty effects, watch some old Doctor Who. The Space Prawn from the Invisible Enemy still gives me the giggles when I see it. I'm in for the stories, and Trek was boredom incarnate from TNG forward all too often. Special effects are irrelevant when the story is shite.

6. teacake

Why is everyone being mean to Star Trek these days?

7. Guy Gardener

Virini's keeper didn't share his fascination with pastels.

8. Guy Gardener

Classic Doctor Who spent more money on Lunch than Special Effects. You make allowances. Babylon 5 however, spent millions generating computerized special effects, which Blake's Seven used to achieve by gluing two hair driers together (It's documented in the DVD extras.) and swinging them about on fishing wire.

But yes, story should be king. :)

9. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wrong in several respects.

1) PTEN folded. Not quite the same as canceling a show. They had no money for *any* shows.
    2) TNT were the ones to pay for a fifth season as part of buying the syndication package.
    3) There was still story to tell, particularly around G'Kar and Londo. Joe even talks about it in the script books, and on the DVD commentary, that the Fall of Centauri Prime was the major event that the five years was building to.

Actually, there's a reason Star Trek: Voyager decided to use the same exact company that produced the first three seasons of B5's CGI.

The overall per episode budget was only $900k.

10. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Right there with ya, Brian. I actually really liked that movie.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

BTW, the B5 20th reunion panel discussion at Phoenix ComiCon is on Youtube. 2 hours in 2 parts. Everybody alive is there except Bruce (he got work! :lol: ). It's alternately moving and bloody hysterical.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Brian?

Not to sidetrack the discussion too much, but what I liked about the old Doctor Strange was that it wasn't afraid to get comic-booky, complete with magic and demons and alien dimensions, as opposed to to the other CBS Marvel adaptations of the time, which seemed determined to tone down the more fantastic elements of the original comics.

But I digress. Back to B-5 . . .

13. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I don't know where the "Brian" came from. :lol: Senior moment, sorry.

I also liked Edward Everett Horton's voice on the shadowy stop-motion Devil.

14. Guy Gardener

In your heart of hearts, you know that you believe that you are Stewie and everyone one else in the world is Brian the Dog.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Star Trek is for Hippies. Y'gotta be a tough guy these days.

16. teacake

They are all Herbert.

17. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Virini the security minister who clued Mollari into who killed the woman? I do believe the Regent's last name was never given.

But your point about the pastels is probably correct.

Reverting for some odd reason to the thread topic, Babylon 5 does stretch disbelief when it throws about megacorps, as if capitalism is eternal. Or even able to reach the stars.

18. Guy Gardener

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  19. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't like the first half of S5 with the Telepath story arc except for maybe "Kingdom of the Blind" (which had a great Londo/G'Kar/Centauri intrigue side story) but the second half of the season beginning with "Meditations on the Abyss" and ending with the one-two punch of "Movements of Fire & Shadow/Fall of Centauri Prime" was awesome. I felt that that the remaining episodes tied everything up quite nicely leading into the series finale.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I reach.

I also grok Spock.