Clever step of CBS to release ST ENT on BD now?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Beta-Z, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hi everybody,

I guess it's a very clever calculated step of CBS to release ENT now.
    Let's face it, ENT was cancelled after only 4 seasons and clearly has the least of support of all the series, even compared to "stepchild" Voyager.

Am I interested in ENT? Not at all. Don't like the show, to me it belongs to the same, strange ST-Universe than that newly Abrams stuff.
    Will I buy the ENT BDs? Sure! Because I want to show my support for DS9 and VOY and want them to be released on BD as well.
    I quite doubt ENT would cause the same sales numbers, if it was due to be released f.e. AFTER Voyager or even DS9..

Got it? ;) Does anyone agree?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Yeah.

I won't be buying because I'd rather spend my dollars on TNG and non-Trek product. Enterprise should've been released on Blu-ray during the gap between TOS and TNG, not concurrently with TNG.

They're making many Trek fans pick-and-choose for no good reason and Enterprise is the one that most folks won't pick.

3. Beta-Z

3 guesses why it wasn't and is just right now to be. :lol:
    The material was there... always has been.

4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

i can't wait for Emissary and Way of the Warrior on BD. And the Dominion War...

5. Beta-Z

:D
    Then buy Enterprise on BD, to make sure that you'll get it.
    Your CBS financial responsible
    :evil:

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I really hope CBS doesn't use the ENT BD sales to determine interest in DS9 and VOY remaster. It would be much more reasonable to determine interest in DS9 and VOY based on an average of TNG and ENT BD sales rather than ENT alone what with ENT being the least liked and least popular of the trek series.

If ENT doesn't sell well then that means people aren't interested in ENT not that they aren't interested in DS9 and VOY or am I completely wrong here?

I also hope I'm not the only one in the camp that doesn't want to shell out for BD's for shows they really don't care for in order to get ones they do.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

They're probably releasing Enterprise on BluRay because it was filmed for HD and takes the least amount of effort to release in the format.

8. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering the buzz for Into Darkness is entering high gear, yes it's the perfect time to release Enterprise on bluray. I'm suprised they haven't trotted out the "MEET CAPTAIN KIRK'S CHILDHOOD HERO" slogan from the first ENT VHS release. I thought it was a really cool slogan and would probably resonate now more than ever.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I doubt DS9 or Voyager will ever be reelased on blu-ray. Since they were shot on video, transferring to blu-ray will require the same extensive work being done to TNG. And really, neither show was popular enough to warrant that.

11. Dagoth

Dagoth Ensign Newbie

I definitely strongly distinguish ENT from the new Abrams stuff I don't like. Enterprise was pretty good, compared to the other series, imo.

12. Leroy

Set aside their popularity it might be in CBS's best interest to go ahead and remaster DS9 and VOY since the cost of shutting down and starting back up such a project would be almost as high as simply going ahead an remastering everything, even the cartoon is getting a BD release and that's not even canon.

The broadcast tapes they are sitting on aren't getting any younger, there will be a time where both series have degraded to the point they will look worse than TNG did just before the remaster.

Even if they don't bother making BDs the shows could still be put online for streaming, legal downloads, and TV for any channels worldwide that are interested, since physical media seems to be on the way out.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They re-release novels and comics that aren't canon. Canon certainly isn't a mark of quality, just a mainline continuity.

The animated Trek has been referenced in Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, the remastered version of The Original Series and JJ's Star Trek movie. I think that makes it as much a part of the continuity as any other series.

14. Leroy

I never said it was, I happen to like a lot of non canon works with the cartoon included. It's just odd that tptb would skip a huge chunk of trek , and have everything available in HD aside from two shows that represent a large portion of the franchise from '93 to '01 (cost and popularity reasons aside).

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it's been rumoured they might consider DS9 blu-rays based on how the TNG blu-rays sell. And though the TNG BR are selling well, historically DS9 doesn't do as well as TNG. It got lower ratings, a recentally released soundtrack CD release flopped and IDW's DS9 comic did so poorly they gave up their DS9 license. DS9 season 1 might get a blu-ray release, but if history is any guide it won't sell that well and CBS might not bother with the rest of the series and definitely won't touch Voyager. Hell, I doubt Enterprise will sell that well, the only commercially viable Trek is TOS, TNG, and the Abramsverse.

16. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or the slightly less catchy "MEET THE MAN WHOSE DOG SCOTTY MISPLACED" if they really want to sell it to new film fans. :)

17. BillJ

They should've released Enterprise in late-2009/early-2010 when it could've capitalized on the success of Star Trek 2009. Releasing it now means its competing with TNG for home video dollars.

18. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Bear in mind that around that time we got TOS and the films on Blu-ray too. Maybe TPTB didn't want to flood the market with too much Trek product. Also the DVD's only came out in 2005 so maybe they felt it was a bit too soon as well. Releasing it now makes perfect sense. General interest in Trek will be high thanks to Star Trek Into Darkness.

As for DS9/VOY if they stick to the schedule they seem to have with TNG (a season every six months or so) the DS9 Blu-rays will be out sometime around 2015-2018 and VOY will be out around 2019-2022. This assumes they carry on after TNG with the same system they have in place now.

19. BillJ

Yet they're releasing it concurrently with TNG...

We'll likely know either late this year or early next whether they plan to go forward with DS9.

20. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely correct. Except the cartoon is canon. ;)